• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Flats - Something different for me

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
A few months ago there was an auction of the inventory remaining from the Red Lancers and I bid on a few lots. One of the lots I won contained a bunch of flats from Mil-Art Miniatures. This pair of ladies was part of that lot and in the lot there were several of these two particular figures. As a gift to my wife, I painted a pair which she really likes and am in the process of painted a second pair in different colors.

Here are the flats before painting and then preshaded with flat black.

20200802_112226.jpg20200802_112205.jpg20200802_112315.jpg20200802_112253.jpg20200802_112347.jpg

And here is the first set painted before attaching to a background. Painting flats is quite different from painting a 3 dimensional normal figure. I suppose I could have tried to paint them to look more realistic, but they are colorful and my wife likes them.

20200802_112138.jpg

I then mounted them on a black background that came with the shadowbox frame I had bought to place them in. They did not photograph very well. There are actual shadows and highlights on these figures that seem washed out by the light, but it gives you an idea of how they look.

20200730_142203.jpg20200730_142356.jpg

I already started the second set. The figure in the jacket is in a brownish jacket with a blue hat. Not sure how the other figure will be painted yet.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

Those are very nicely done, James. Not something you see regularly. :good:

Thanks, Mike. I had seen flats in magazines and at a few shows, but I had never seen any of the unpainted pieces for sale. When I got these the lot of flats, I saw several that I wasted to paint, so I may do more after this project.

Cheers,
James

Saw these in Atlanta years ago, very interesting. Suits your skills nicely :popcorn

Thanks. Like I mentioned in the reply to Mike, I had seen flats in magazines and at shows, but never saw any for sale. The are actually a nice change of pace.

Cheers,
James

I completed the first woman from the second set of these figures. This time she has a brown jacket and blue hat and gloves.

20200803_102017.jpg

I am in the process of painting the second woman. My wife wanted her to be wearing a blue dress, so that is what I painted. Still have a way to go to complete this. In this photo, she looks kind of scary! :)😨

20200803_123330.jpg

Cheers.
James

The second set is now complete. My wife is happy with both sets and is looking forward to me painting more stuff for her - a Willie Nelson bust from Custom Dioramics, more flats, and her decorative windmill in the yard.

Resized_20200809_084813.jpegResized_20200809_084730.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Take care and have a great day.
Cheers,
James

Back