• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Firefly help....

Matt Stephenson

Hi everyone,

Im in the process of getting items together to build a Firefly VC. Im using the Dragon orange box kit, with some aftermarket replacements. Im intending to make the firefly as one used by the New Zealanders in Italy.

While on a trip to New Zealand last year I pick up a book about the New Zealand 4th Armoured Brigade. This book has some great photos of the firefly's in use however I did spot something that differs from whats offered in the kit. The fireflies used by the Kiwis appear to have a different stowage 'box' added after the armoured turret extension for the radio. This box looks similar to the box on the rear of Crusader turrets, and on most Sherman III's in british use.

If anyone can tell me if this box is the same as the Crusader turret box or Sherman III box, then I know Im heading in the right direction. Secondly, I would like to know if there are any aftermarket producers of this type of box in 1/35, either in resin or photoetch?

Appologies to all Shermaholics for my complete lack of knowledge on this topic. I tried to scan some pics for reference, but the scanner decided it didn't want to play. Google search wasnt much help either.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

It is indeed a crusader turret box. I believe the division was equipped with Crusader's in North Africa

I have an italeri turret box (I built the MkI Crusader and it shouldn't have a bin) PM me your address and maybe I can post it to you. I needs a hinge adding, but thats not too hard to do

Chris

Chris,

Nothing in the mailbox yet..... customs can be notorious for delaying mail from overseas. I will let you know as soon as it arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Chris,

The crusader turret stowage box arrived in the mail today! Exactly what I need for the Kiwi Firefly I'm about to start building.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to send it half way around the world. Perhaps one day I can return the favour for you.

Thanks again,

Matt.

Hi Matt

I'm looking at building a Kiwi 20th Armoured Regiment Firefly (along with other armour the 20th used) at some stage. Are you going to blog your build? If you are, I'd definitely be interested in following it.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Chris and Rob.

The Crusader stowage box is perfect, thanks again. I had an opportunity to look at the Voyager PE upgrade set for the Sherman III - PEA101. This set in very nice and most importantly includes a similar style stowage box, however it's too big, and isnt suited to the Dragon orange box Firefly VC kit that Im using. Apparently the Kiwis made their own stowage boxes which were similar in design to the ones on the crusaders.

On to the Dragon orange box kit....... this kit has some fit and detail problems and I would probably recommend the Tasca kit if you can still source one from somewhere, which I couldn't. I did buy the Armorscale barrel for the kit but found it suits the Tasca kit, so if anyone wants a Armourscale barrel, its free to a good home. :) I did end up going with a RB models barrel, or at least what was advertised on Ebay as being a RB models barrel. Its nice, but its the same length as the kit barrel which according to Terry Ashley's review on PMMS is too long to be scale. Oh well, live and learn.

I've ordered the Formations late 3 piece transmission cover and sherman tools with clasps as again the Dragon items leave something to be desired. :pinch:

I did start the build the other day, and I will post some in progress shots hopefully by the end of the week. I intend on making a Friefly from the 4th New Zealand Armoured Brigade, 19th Regiment as the tanks from the regiment look more "colourfull". I bought the book on the brigade while at the NZ army museum while on a trip to NZ last year, which Im using as something of a guide. Orginally, I did want to model the tank named "Cockie's Chariot", but later found that this tank was a standard Sherman III. I've since decided to model tank 13 - named "Dopo Voi" which was a firefly. I also have the Bison decal sheet on the regiment.

So thats about where Im at with this build. I usually dont model allied armour and regard Shermans as little more than target fodder for Panthers and Tigers. Im still not a fan of Shermans, and Im definetely not looking forward to the individual links in the kit.

Matt.

Matt Stephenson wrote:
...I've since decided to model tank 13 - named "Dopo Voi" which was a firefly. I also have the Bison decal sheet on the regiment....

Good choice Matt. I think that tank was about the only solo kill of a Tiger in the regiment, if not the entire brigade.. actually, that would make a great dio (refer to the yarn entitled "Monty Millar's Tiger on page 10 of the 4th Armoured book you have, assuming it is Jeff Plowman's book you have.. a great read)

Cheers, and will be watching with interest

Rob

Back