• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Firearms Collecting [antique]

Viper_MP

After seeing some pics of other members firearms, and hearing about others, I figured I would start this thread. Its purpose is to allow us all to share out collector and antique firearms with everyone. [and maybe knowledge about them, tips, ammo suggestions, etc].

I myself have been collecting ever since returning from Afghanistan. There I managed to pick up an old Russian rifle. It was in horrible condition [missing parts, seized bolt, just dirty as hell]. I brought it home [don't ask how] and did my research and eventually cleaned it up and restored it. Now, I don't recommend restoring ANY old firearm/weapon unless you know how. Luckily, I've worked as a restorer for a museum for many years. So I know how. Also, I knew this rifle wasn't of much value because the serial numbers showed it was a mixed rifle [made of several others]. After about a year of work, the rifle was stripped down in every format to its individual parts. The metal parts were cleaned, stripped, and re-blued. The stock was stripped, lightly sanded, and re-stained and oiled by hand just like the original. Some original replacement parts, and now I have a fully functional M91/30 Mosin Nagant. It shoots 7.62x54r. Its fun to shoot, but also a bit painful. It kicks like a pissed off mule. Anyway, here are the pics. The bayonet and sling are original WWII issued. The rifle [at least the breach and central section] is from 1936. It was made in Russia and issued in WWII. Its also believed to have made its way to Korea and then to Afghanistan where it was used against the Russians and then against the US.

DSCN2099.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

To go with it, I ended up purchasing a Model 1895 Nagant revolver. Its all original from 1943. Its a 7 shot 7.62x38r [about .32 cal]. Its double action, but the loading and unloading is single action style. It was a cavalry pistol, so the trigger pull is VERY high.

DSCN2101.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

The I ended up acquiring this little gem from a friend. It was his father's, and after he died, they wanted to get it out of the house since they have kids. Its an Harrington & Richardson [H&R] Premier revolver. Its 7-shot, top break and shoots .22 rimfire. This particular piece was tracked via serial number to being made in 1914. Its in great shape and fully functional. A blast to shoot.

DSCN2103.jpg

DSCN2106.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

DSCN2105.jpg

And my recent addition to the family is now my baby. I picked this up at a gunshow for $200. The tag on it said it was an SMLE III* from 1954 and made in India [Ishapore]. I bought it primarily cause it was in great shape and was the only Enfield rifle at the show that had not received the standard WWII black enamel on the metal. When I got it home, I was shocked. It was the wrong tag. This rifle was made in 1914 in England by Enfield. Its a No1 MkIII ShtLE that was used in WWI [not sure about WWII as it was never enameled]. Then I checked the 4 serials, and they all matched. So my heart nearly blew up. Its an all original, matching numbers WWI rifle, in excellent shape. I have shot it, and its deadly accurate. When it was appraised by the historian at the museum, its value was put at about $1000. Needless to say, it gets babied and well protected. the bayonet is not original, its from 1945 and WAS made in India by Ishapore. I'm still looking for an original bayonet/scabbard/frog hopefully from 1914. And I've been looking for an original WWI leather sling, but they are hard to come by.

DSCN2088.jpg

DSCN2090.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2092.jpg

DSCN2093.jpg

DSCN2094.jpg

DSCN2095.jpg

DSCN2097.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

Anyway, hope you all enjoy and contribute your own firearms. I'd love to know who else out there is a collector and what treasures you have.

Nice collection!

Just to keep it modeling related (it is a plastic model site ;)) Please include some measurements to allow us mere modelers to assess the accuracy of the plastic armaments provided in kits.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

But of course... And the pics are good references as well [colors, metal vs wood. Brass vs blued steel]

M91/30 Mosin Nagant:
Overall Length 1,287 mm for my metric friends, 50.7in for my non-metric friends.
Barrel length 730mm or 28.7in
Overall the metal would have been blued steel, except for a few fittings on the hand guards over the barrel, which were brass. The wood varied depending on where it was manufactured, and could be anywhere from light honey to a dark cherry color. The bayonet is a 4 sided diamond shape ending with a chisel point. It would slip over the barrel, and then twist to the right to lock. The bolt would normally have been left steel and not blued. The sling would be natural or OD canvass, with leather "dog collar" style attachments with metal fittings. The fittings were low quality metal and would corrode to an ashy color.

For the 1895 Nagant:
Overall length 235mm or 10.5in
Barrel length 114mm or 4.5in
Blued steel with dyed wood grips [just like picture]. The holster would have been brown leather, with a tan leather edging.

the ammo pouches carried with both the M91/30 and the M1895 were brown leather with tan edging, matching the holster.

H&R Premier:
Overall Length 168mm or 6.6in
Barrel length 76mm or 3 in
Interesting note, H&R also produced M1 Garands

Enfield ShtLE
Overall length 1,130mm or 44.5in
Barrel length 635mm or 25in.
Prior to WWII, it wood was Walnut and would be medium brown [like picture] with blued steel and a brass buttplate. When WWII broke out, to increase production they began painting the steel with a semi-gloss black enamel, and changed to a steel buttplate [painted black]. The wood was also dyed much darker in WWII, almost to the point of looking black. In WWI, it would have had a dyed leather sling, with a single buckle on one end and throngs on the other end. In WWII, it was switched to a canvass sling with open end clips. The canvass would have been either natuaral, tan, or OD. Additionally, a single .303 round would have been slipped into the adjuster on the leather slings to keep it from sliding. For the bayonet, it would have been blued steel, although some were left natural, and a few were chromed for parade use.

Thanks for the notes! Any chance of photographing these beauties during a strip? Perhaps at the next cleaning?
B) ;)

Regards,

I can definitely do that. They are both do for their annual stripping and cleaning. I field strip and clean them every time I shoot, but once a year I break them all the way down, clean and oil everything, and rebuild them. With the age of them [Enfield is no 96 years old], I want to do everything I can to keep them around longer.

To an extent, they can. On the Mosin, the marks can tell me where she was made, when, where she was issued/used. And I know it made its way to Afghanistan.

On Enfields, most of them when issued had a little brass disk inset in the buttstock. This was called the regimental disk. It had the year of issue, the unit issued to, and the rack it came off of. Mine is missing it because the buttstock I believe was replaced somewhere.

Well, here is the only military surplus rifle I currently own. It is the hard to find Mauser KAR 98. This rifle was the WW1 version of the German Gewehr 98 long rifle, intended for artillery and motor troops. Unlike the ww1 Mauser with it’s 29 inch barrel, The Kar 98 sported a shorter 24 in tube, and also in place of the high ramp “rollercoaster” sights on the rifle, the carbine had small rear sight and heavily protected front, and also note the stacking hook under the barrel! The gun also had a small from receiver “ring” (that portion just behind the handguard and in front of the ejection port) Most of these were, after the war, were relegated to submarine use, and under Hitler’s remake of the German forces he had most of these converted into the later K98 rifle of WW2 fame. I got this one from a vet who captured at a French Submarine pen, as the few survivors were mostly relegated to submarine or maritime use (a friend of mine has a French Carcano that has German waffenampts to show that it was issued for use in guarding the submarine bases in the course of the war)
KAR001.jpg

KAR005-1.jpg

KAR003.jpg

KAR004.jpg

KAR002.jpg

collector here too. I love those old nagants and have 2. You can never have too many as far as I'm concerned. My 91/30 is a 1932 hex reciever with the bayo and the usual cleaning goodies from the period. The other is a Romanian m-44 carbine with side folding bayo. The Romanians really built some sweet nagants. These guns are so ugly and primitive they almost look modern.

Iambrb, thats a great looking Mauser. And in great shape too. I don't think I had ever seen a Kar98 before, only the later 98K.

Woodcutter, I have to agree with you. the Mosin is a great old gun. Sadly, mine is way off in the accuracy department. Something is misaligned with the front sight. When the temperature warms up, and I'm not looking at nearly 5 inches of solid ice in the road in front of the house, I'm hoping the get to the range and use a laser boresight to correct the front ring. The original was missing when I "acquired" the rifle, so the one on there is a replacement.

Well, I don't have any pictures to post now (doing my time at work right now). I do have a pre WW2 Mosin Nagant rifle, I believe mine was first made in the early twenties. I will have to verify that when I get home. I also have a G-43, which has a very nice machined receiver and is ready for a scope if I can ever find one online or at a gun show. I also have a 98k which needs some work as it has a bullet jammed in the barrel. The previous owner didn't take good care of it at all. To go with this long range fire power, I have a Walther P-38 which I inherited from my dad. Quite the beautiful pistol and fun to shoot. To finish off this small collection is an AK-47, which isn't quite the antique, but it could reach that status in a few years...

Hi Viper. Yes great old guns and about 20 rounds per shooting session is all I'm good for. hey at least the ammo will last longer! Sometimes those old guns will show more deterioration than others with the rifling because of the corrosive ammo that was available back then. Hopefully the rifle you got was taken care of by the original owners and will shoot straight as possible. Of course the sights being aligned will always do wonders too ;)

When cleaning out the cellar I stumbled accross an old rifle that a couple of people have suggested is Italian military and given the history of this house it certainly seems to fit the bill.

It's a rather dodgy looking thing that hasn't seen any TLC for quite some time, has had the breech welded over etc. I doubt whether it would be of any value to anyone but it would be interesting to post a pic and see if anyone can definately identify it for me.

While renovating I look closely in all the nooks and crannies now but haven't found anything else.

165_opt.jpg
[/img]
163_opt.jpg
[/img]

Finally got off my butt and snapped some happy pics to see if anyone can identify this find.
I see the barrel has been 'cut off' but other then corroded it is unremarkable .. a normal barrell plus a square metal sight ... you know, the ones with the groove cut in the middle to line up with.

Hi Ozzie Jo looks to me to be an Arisaka Japanese rifle , i am probably wrong ( i am no expert on these rifles ) but it looks similar to one my dad owned a while ago , is it a dust like cover over the bolt action (typical of these rifles )

cheer's

Matt

Back