• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

**FINISHED** Airfix 1/24 Mosquito build log

Airfix 1/24 Mosquito build log

Two entire airbrush cups full of the light grey and I only have 1/4 of the model lightly coated.

Just break out one of these:

products-to-help-you-paint-faster_03.jpg

;)

I would be lying if I said the idea hadn't crossed my mind. My dad actually has a paint gun for painting walls - also crossed my mind. It's becoming a little less mindless 5 cups in.

Rattle cans, I'm not a fan of them cause I don't feel like I got the control on how much paint hits the model, but then again, I don't have much control on how much paint hits the model with an AB so what's the diff? :rotf

I wasn't planning on sharing any in progress photos of the painting process, but this is one coat of the light grey after pre-shading. This took an entire bottle of paint. I'll be toning the preshading down with more of the grey - lightened repeatedly for post shading.

wMH9GgH.jpg

K3uvTSJ.jpg

This is a day-fighter scheme, so this colour is on top and bottom, green disruptive camouflage on topsides.

This is a very famous airframe, but there isn't a single photo of it. Interestingly Airfix shows it in the day fighter scheme even though all the photos of other aircraft of the same unit are painted in the night fighter scheme we're more familiar with - dark sea grey over light with green disruptive camo.

Here's the latter paint scheme

fyuNApE.jpg

My build is the lighter of the two greys on the top and bottom.

Are you buying your paint in the 1 ga. Or the hand 5 ga. Bucket?

Nice! You can really see the interior roll cage of the canopy in that photo! :drinks

Not certain whether this will help or not. If you're planning on doing MM417/EG*T, have a read see what you think:

MM417 was a replacement for the original EG*T coded HX982, flown by P/Os Max Sparks and A.C. Dunlop on the Amiens raid in February 1944 and damaged on that mission.

MM417 was the subject of a series of well known and oft published photos, it’s painted in the day-fighter scheme of Ocean Grey/Dark Green topsides and Medium Sea Grey lowers, the demarcation between the upper lower colours is unusually low. Tamiya called it correctly in their 1:48 kit.

It’s still a matter of argument whether the original EG*T wore the same scheme or was in the more usual night-fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey with the Dark Green disruptive pattern and high demarcation as is usually seen in references and profiles etc.

As I say, not sure if this helps or hinders…

Ian

Not certain whether this will help or not. If you're planning on doing MM417/EG*T, have a read see what you think:

MM417 was a replacement for the original EG*T coded HX982, flown by P/Os Max Sparks and A.C. Dunlop on the Amiens raid in February 1944 and damaged on that mission.

MM417 was the subject of a series of well known and oft published photos, it’s painted in the day-fighter scheme of Ocean Grey/Dark Green topsides and Medium Sea Grey lowers, the demarcation between the upper lower colours is unusually low. Tamiya called it correctly in their 1:48 kit.

It’s still a matter of argument whether the original EG*T wore the same scheme or was in the more usual night-fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey with the Dark Green disruptive pattern and high demarcation as is usually seen in references and profiles etc.

As I say, not sure if this helps or hinders…

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's sort of what I was trying to express - that's the scheme most people know, but I'm building EG*F which was lost on the Amiens raid, it's in the nightfighter scheme of MSG and dark green.

Just a quick what's-what to keep this thread alive while I go on my honeymoon. I just finished my latest round of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. I'm even back to working full time. So now that I'm "healthy" my wife and I finally get to run away for a well deserved break - we're going to St. Lucia! God knows my wonderful wife deserves it; working full time and looking after me when she comes home, she's never had a break. It's also our 1 year anniversary!

Anyway, some wing related things

Here's how the girl looked all filled and sanded

aZmuXfV.jpg

Now to mask off all of the openings. Masking these is always an exercise in ingenuity. I almost always use the kit parts themselves - particularly when the camouflage has to align.

The trick is to seal the openings up, while making the attachment temporary and leaving nothing behind to clean up when they're removed.

....introducing my good old friend blu-tac.

bwt0FwK.jpg

B4lnuwO.jpg

11bhIcy.jpg

Now, take a small ball of the stuff and dab at the stuff that sticks out like above - it will pull it right off and you're good to go.

The entire nose is held on with blu-tac (except the part I had to modify to fit, glue and fill earlier). The camo will line up nicely, there will be no overspray (the nose cone has balls of blu-tac across the inside of the gunports).

Jump ahead to my previous update and beyond

- the grey is entirely finished.

The bomb bay doors are the 'closed' parts (which didn't fit anyway - several mms too short) which is why no paint was wasted on them - the 4 piece open doors are being used and were painted separately.

jmE53xT.jpg

6N74PEL.jpg

Hand for size

ur3kH7J.jpg

To be continued... The goal is to have this finished before Christmas. So I can finally open my two Airfix Typhoons!

Congratulations to both of you for getting this far. :good:

Sounds like a well deserved honeymoon :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Congratulations on being "healthy". Hope everything continues going well. A special congrats on the anniversary.
The Mossie is looking great (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks guys. I haven't heard an 'I told you to pack earlier!' yet, but I can feel one brewing.

Back