• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fiat BR.20

phantom II

Master at Arms
Hello everyone,
this is my very first post anywhere, so please bare with me.
The original build of this airplane was in the mid eighties when the Italeri kit was new and I had no references on the subject. :(

002.jpg

I have this habit of updating older models with details or to repaint them when I discover new materials. Over the years I wanted to improve the paint job on this airplane but could never find any decent references. :unsure:

I recently found this book on Evilbay and so, the adventure took an unexpected turn.

001.jpg

So,began the mayhem... :evil:

005.jpg

004.jpg

Finally after studying some very poor pictures, i realized that the employee that produced this model must have been laid off by the Airfix factory. It was covered by huge rivets where there should have been canvas and ribs. :eek:hmy:

After a good bit of surgery, the painting started :) Of course I selected a sample that was a bit different.

spots005.jpg

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/crlacroix_2010/Fiat%20BR%2020
/spots004.jpg

spots007.jpg

Of course decals and further refinements followed.

IMG_32411.jpg

IMG_32451.jpg

IMG_32441.jpg

So, we come to the end of this rebuild. :)

IMG_32391.jpg

spots010.jpg

and now I can clear the work bench and build something else.

Thanks to Iron Mike for the help with the photography and with figuring out the website.

To Moonpuppy, can I go back to lurking now ? B)

Very nice redo!! And your table is too clean :laugh: :laugh:

Terry B)

phantom II wrote:
yes, I did. It's Mike's fault.
Sure, throw ME under the bus! We started with the gallery, but SOMEONE says the pictures are too small! :pinch: Now you've done it, you've gone and lost your lurker status! :gogo

Great re-do
Quick question - what did you use for the camo masking? I see something like blue tack, was that your primary masking agent?

Hello,
there is no quick answer to that question.
I used a variety of items to control my paint patterns.
For the primary colors I used blue tack and Tamiya tape for straight lines and blue tack for curving ones. I also used cardboard cut out to shield the engines from overspray. I even used some posted notes in one place or other.
The green and red spots were all free handed with much diluted Model Master enamels over Future.
I consider the Future to be a semi mask in itself since you can remove mistakes directly on top of that layer.
Hope that answer's your question.

The Lurker

012_20100728_1878939643.jpg

Well you got one picture up, don't know why I forgot to look last night when I got home but I did get this little teaser.

So I suppose your next project will be the new improved version

draft_lens2210058module11916329photo_1223337908junior-samples-hee-haw_20100729_1841311638.jpg

OK, I just showed my age!!! :laugh:

Let me see what I can find. Seems I am still discovering Italian airplanes after 65 years.Kind of wish the manufacturers were more adept than me at finding them.
You were right Mike he took my lurker privileges away.

Back