• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ferdinand ' 624 ' Kursk 1943

Hi everyone , this is my next build DML's Ferdinand with Friul tracks , JB barrel and verlinden interior
I was going to use this build as my first attempt at writing an article but it is already a tried and tested subject
This kit IMO is one of the nicest kits i have put together the detail is outstanding all fits together like a glove ( which can be rare for Dragon )
The interior ( while very basic and out of scale , especially the etch that comes with it ) fits the purpose of what i had in mind for this build
I am basing it on Ferdinand 624 of the II/654 battalion ( Fgst number 150090 ) burnt out at the battle of Kursk in July 1943
The photo that is my inspiration shows many hit marks by different calibre weapons which makes for some interesting detail as it is fun to make the damage :evil:
I was on a roll while doing the interior and got stuck into the painting and weathering before i took some photo's of the unpainted interior but i gathered we all know what bare resin looks like anyway ;)
Here's where i am up to so far
DSC_0006-13.jpg

DSC_0010-6.jpg

DSC_0008-11.jpg

DSC_0005-14.jpg

DSC_0001-8.jpg

DSC_0011-6.jpg

The tracks ( as you can see ) are finished using Blacken-it , 4 part rustall then pigments followed by graphite for the worn inside of the track and a light sand on the raised detail for the out side of the track
The interior was given the Rob ( scratchmod ) technique ( well my interpretation anyway ) with a base coat of randomly applied Tamiya Hull red , Flat red and Flat brown then Black , vandyke brown and yellow ochre oils were randomly painted all over the fighting compartment interior
While this was still wet i added different rust colored pigments till i was happy with the result
At the moment i am in two minds weather to add some mapping to replicate the remnants of the white interior paint or just leave it as is ( as you won't be seeing much when the upper hull is in place )
Any suggestions will be appreciated along with any other questions
Cheer's and thanks in advance

Matt :)

Thank you Tony , yes it would have been sad seeing these awesome machines burnt out and destroyed ( especially today as there are only 2 left in existence )

cheer's

Super Sweet Start there Matt , this going into a Dio base or just by itself ?
Looking Forward to seeing this and the Marder at Wheels and Tracks :)

Hey Plushy good to hear from you my friend
Yes it'll be going on a base with simple ground work and some Russian guy's ( which ones i don't know yet , have to look into that )
Hopefully it will be done for W&T ( 3 months away , man it better )

cheer's

I can see why you are happy with how its turning out. :cheer:
Outstanding work again (man you must be getting sick of hearing that).
As a tester for the outside damage, I think you shouldn't have any troubles
making it look right.

Another positive is that you must be out of rust pigments :lol:

Talk soon
Pete

Thanks Pete for your kind words , since i took the photo's this morning i have added some more pigments here and there ( i know i can't help myself ) pitty it will all be covered up when the hull goes on only visible through the hatches ......... oh well
I might need some pigments set aside , i will get back to you on which ones

cheer's

Matt, really nice work, looks great. And just because someone has done the article before don't let that stop you from submitting another. Everyone's techniques may not be the same and yours looks especially good. Let me know if I can help with that article.

I feel like a need a tetness(Spelling?)shot with all that rust! Incredible job, keep it and us posted! Ryan ;)

Nice job on the interior! I know the photo you are talking about, very cool idea. I have a mostly finished Ferdie sitting on my shelf, maybe this will get me working on it!

Shaggy :dude

You're off to a great start, Matt! I just hope you don't get "burnt out" before you finish! :blink I really like what you've done so far! :ro:

Matt

I'm liking it. I have the same VP interior and I couldn't agree more with your comments.

The rust effects is coming along very nicely and I will definitely be following your build.

Rob , thanks for your kind offer and comments , writing an article is definitely not my strong point . I have an M18 Hellcat i was thinking of doing an article on so i will keep you posted

Ryan , thank you as well , i hope i haven't gone over board with the rust but it does look better in real life than in the photo's ( not as bright ) and i will keep everyone posted of my progress for sure

Shaggy , thanks as well mate , the photo in question is cool and a great subject . Would be great to see your Ferdinand resurrected i would be humbled if mine inspires you to dust it off once again

thanks again guy's

Mike , Mighty Ninja , sorry guy's you must of snuck in while i was typing the last post
Mike thanks mate i will take your advise :laugh:
Mighty Ninja , thank you as well yes the interior is not that great but is perfect for something that is just visible through the hatches

thanks all for following my build

TTFN

Matt check out the latest AFV modeller no 49
there is a Ferdi in that `653` from Kursk if you need a bit of extra inspiration .this makes me want to build a German Heavy again :woohoo:

Hi again Plushy , thanks mate arr yes got that edition helped me work out some of the interior detail the verlinden set instructions just didn't say great edition BTW
thanks again ( can't wait to see what German heavy you build next ) With all the resin and friul tracks i think it would be scale weight as well :blink

Matt ,
I have a Jagdtiger in the stash as well as 3 or 4 of the Dragon Early and Late Tiger 1`s but i gotta finish the FT-17 and the E-10 that are on the bench first but i could start buying `extras` now hmmmmm ........

Plushy , some nice kits in the stash you got there , buying extra's is alway's fun , look forward to what Heavy German you do next

Jenny , thank you , yes the article will be a first ( with the encouragement from yourself , Sven , Moonpuppy and Anthony Sheedy ) so i hope i don't have to much trouble with it

Laura , thank you glad you like it so far , the driver/radio operator compartment will be the next to paint and weather so more updates will be soon

cheer's and thanks again

Back