• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-4 Phantom variants?

kryptosdaddy

Seems like I'm living in the help section-

The F-4 has always been one of my fav jets- I have a 1/72 Hasegawa (kit #00332) F-4 E Phanton II- and its burning a hole in my stack right now. It comes with AirForce markings - a HUGE sheet of 'em! But i prefer the Navy or Marine colors. And for some reason this kit does come with a tail hook!?

I want to build this as an actual craft, but i can't find really anything that points out the physical differences between the C-D-E Ect so i can find a set that matches!

Wikipedia has a decent article, so does military.com though I havnt found anything in particular- help? Thanks CR

Pretty sure they all had tail hooks. Think also the E was the first to have a gun. I know someone else can give more detailed answers so I'll just... :popcorn

Thanks- I'm in really no hurry. I found a canopy detail set for it and I'm gonna dig some more stuff up. Still have to get a few bags of sheet styrene for my scatch builds so I'm in no hurry.

Hey man...Might want to get the fire extinguisher out and slow down all that melting down before you launch into this project.

The first thing you're going to define is what you wish to build in the Navy/Marine version.

There are enough F-4 variant to entirely fill the entire screen and maybe a few more.

My next comment is that all F-4's came with a tail hook.

Next is the bad news. The f-4E and G are the most troublesome version to make a navy version from .
The Navy versions are much closer to a C or D model. We are talking about different Wheels, gear door, nose section forward of windshield, Stabilators and wings.

I think it would be far easier to run down the appropriate version and start from there unless you just enjoy pain . Some of these things would be hard to change.

Let me know if you need further guidance

Good luck, Christian B)

Thanks Christian- I was running into all kinds of info and everything was pointing to the fact that mine (E) is USAF! lol, guess I'll find a C or a D and go from there! Can still do the E as a Vietnam bird though right? Though I'll have to keep the markings as Air Force...

What you probably want to find is an B, N or J model As they are Navy/Marines. I know the kits are out there. Even those two airframes will have differences.
It would be best to decide what paint scheme you wish to do . Find what model they painted in that paint scheme and then find the right kit to go with it since you will be looking anyway .

Cheers, Christian B)

Greetings CR;

Chris...... is correct...... All versions of the Phantom II has tail hooks

The Tail hooks on the US Air Force aircraft are not as beefy, or as heavy
duty. The same goes for the Main Mounts, and Nose Gear. The Tail Hooks on
the Air force aircraft where for emergency landings capability.

Mike

CR,

..... I forgot to Manichean. I build a little bit of everything.
Jack of all, Master of none... :D

The Hasegawa 1/48 scale F-4/E is a great kit. I really looks great load-up
with Mk-82, 500pd bombs. It is also one of the only aircraft in US service
that you can use the three color scheme on..... :mpup

mike

:gogo I stayed out of this one... glad Christian came to the plate!

CRACK! Home Run!
Apologies if this term was used incorrectly for I am not, nor ever was, a sports fan!

Regards,

Greetings CR;

Chris...... is correct...... All versions of the Phantom II has tail hooks

The Tail hooks on the US Air Force aircraft are not as beefy, or as heavy
duty. The same goes for the Main Mounts, and Nose Gear. The Tail Hooks on
the Air force aircraft where for emergency landings capability.

Mike

Mike, what is the source of your statement on the tail hook. The best of my knowledge is the hook was the same as well as the Main Landing Gear.

Thanks for all the info fellas! looks like I'm not the only one interested in this topic. And Mike when I get another I'll stick to 1/72 for the space limitations, I already have a couple of large 1/48 planes in progress.

OK, pictures speak louder than most anything, so I'll illustrate . :)

This is a tail hook on an F-4J ( Navy ). Please note the wear due to daily use .

Navy_tail.jpg

On the Other hand, here is a tail hook on an F-4E used in USAFE. Please note that over a half an inch of thickness has been welded back on the shoe....Because it was just worn out.

F-4E_5672.jpg

I fail to see any differences except for the repair. If there are pictures of a different style tail hook I would be thrilled to see it.

Further more, I am not able to notice any difference in any of the landing gear struts in pictures but I can say that the wheels and tires were of different size and style.

Cheers, Christian B)

If there are pictures of a different style tail hook I would be thrilled to see it.

Further more, I am not able to notice any difference in any of the landing gear struts in pictures but I can say that the wheels and tires were of different size and style.

Christian,

Here is an illustration where you can click it to see a change to the tailhook (arrestor hook) and fairing.

To all, this is the only change I am aware of and it occurred from the prototype to production...

As to the latter comment, I will add the larger 11.5 inch wheels and respective tires resulted in the main landing gear covers and the area of the upper and lower wing behind them being bulged.

Click image for an excellent discussion on the F-4 Phantom on ARC.

Regards,

How do you wear out a German tail hook??

Still unable to find where there's any USAF specific tail hooks or Navy specific tail hooks.

Well Bob, I think I can answer that one.

I Watched the Marines and the Navy engage the barrier for Giggles and grins . They land so hard you would thing the gears would come up through the wings. That aside they would land pretty much at the cable.

The USAF not being trained to crash land in that manner would always do a long smooth approach and drag the hook down the runway. Thus the high wear....Pretty spectacular at night ! (y)

Greetings F-4 Drivers;

.....On a Carrier you have to come in at a lot steeper angle when landing,
this is why a carrier landing is called a controlled crash. A navy F-4
on final approach will be doing about 120 knots. It is like trying to land
on a postage stamp.

.....After being around US Navy F-4's, it was unnerving see a US Air Force's
F-4. The Main Mounts, and Nose Gear look like they where made of tooth
pics.

Mike

Be that as it may. There was no USAF specific or Navy specific landing gear. the F4 was developed for the Navy and the USAF adopted it.

Unless you can come up with some credible source on this, I suppose it's perception that makes you think they were different.

Back