• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-15A 5th FIS * * D O N E * *

ij001

:idonno ...erm, yeah, y'see this is what happens when I haven't been in the Man-Cave for a while, I start opening boxes and reading books and then, well...

h6c294b8.JPG

h4fdeda9.JPG

It just sorta happened !!

It's the old Academy kit which isn't great, there's some shape issues around the contours aft of the cockpit and along the airbrake, and the bulges above the engine look like they were moulded by a guy who'd spent way too many hours looking at photo's of Dolly Parton, but it's a 1:48 F-15 kit and was bought for about a quarter of the price of a Hasegawa one, so...

h5469fdf_2016-01-05.jpg

Like the Mirage this is a 'background' build, not too many updates and built for the sheer joy of it. Stay tuned and please feel free to make any comments and crits or ask any questions.

AFN

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Air Superiority baby! :popcorn

Saw one do a Max Climb take off from GFAFB. BOOM!

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Nice. I built an old Monogram kit (1/48) back around 1990 or so. I've got an itch to add another one to the hangar at some point, but probably not until I add the upcoming 1/48 AMK F-14. :evil:

Look forward to watching the progress.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Nothing, in my opinion, beats a successful dry-brushing session for easing a child-minding induced tension headache on a warm summers' afternoon, except maybe a couple of ice-cold beers... :drinks

he3b9b7e.JPG

ha38b4fd.JPG

h9bc2014.JPG

hb39cc3e.JPG

he944fc1.JPG

More soon.

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

I envy you guys that can bounce around between several models and still get stuff done. If I try that I end up w/ half a dozen partially completed kits and nothing to show for it. :rotf

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

I envy you guys that can bounce around between several models and still get stuff done. If I try that I end up w/ half a dozen partially completed kits and nothing to show for it. :rotf

If you'd quit dippin' yer toe into the water and just dive in you'd realise it's not that hard Chris... :drinks

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

But that's exactly what happens....

Like I mentioned, this build and the Mirage are 'background' projects whilst the 'serious' project is at a natural break. I'm messing about with this because I need time for the black paint to fully cure on the Crusader.

It's a great way to clear some dusty old kits out of the stash and have a real fun build happening just because you can.

Just how I see it. Other folks will have different ideas, I'm sure.

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

Like I mentioned, this build and the Mirage are 'background' projects whilst the 'serious' project is at a natural break. I'm messing about with this because I need time for the black paint to fully cure on the Crusader.

It's a great way to clear some dusty old kits out of the stash and have a real fun build happening just because you can.

Ian.

I understood that Ian. For me, I don't trust myself to be able to put the side-project down and carry on with what I should be working on. But it might be a different scenario if I had a longer time line to work with...both the Blackbird & Mirage were/are on fairly tight timetables, so I'm trying to prevent wandering off and ending up missing the deadline. I may try a side by side build once the Mirage is complete and see if it's something I'm capable of.

Anywhos, I'm looking forward to following this one. :good:

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

But that's exactly what happens....

Ian.

After numerous tries I still find it next to unworkable to build multiple things at once.

On the other hand you would transition to Acrylic paints you would not have that anoying cure time :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

:good:
Sounds good. Hey which 77 Sqd Mirage scheme are you doing ?? - there were so many.

Ian.

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

A3-78. Probably going to run supersonic drops & a pair of Magics.

RAAF_Official_77Sqn_Mirage_IIIO_A3_78_NCL_0005_WNccEdcRsX5_sized.jpg

F-15A (Late) - 5th FIS

It's beginning to fight me :angry:

h488ffe5.jpg

he1c7aac.jpg

h35d3daa.jpg

h9f1dada.jpg

I'm not going in to detail about the fit issues and construction woes around the intakes, but if anyone is planning to build an Academy F-15, then please feel free to contact me and I'll talk you through it. Suffice to say the instruction sequence is simply wrong !!

More soon.

Ian.

Back