• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Evolution Min.1/35 SS Grenadiers...Update 12/25/14

TomN

Hi Guys

I've started working on these figures, which will be part of a diorama with the Schwimmwagen.
These are Evolution Miniatures figures, which I think are amazing. I was planning to use an Alpine figure also, but he just didn't seem to fit in. Originally there was going to be 8-9 figures and a halftrack, but I kept wittling it down to just the vehicle and 3 figures.

So here they are, assembled and primered. The primer is Tamiya Surface primer, white, from the bottle, mixed 50/50 with Tamiya lacquer thinner and a few drops of Tamiya retarder.

004-L.jpg

I'm trying to come with an easy painting method, where I block in the base colors with the airbrush and then add shadows and highlights with oils. So here are the face and boot colors applied by airbrush:

010-L.jpg

Blue-Tac was used to mask these areas:

015-L.jpg

Off-white was applied to his pants:

017-L.jpg

More masking:

022-L.jpg

Base color of his parka added:

027-L.jpg

Really going crazy with the masking:

001-L.jpg

And here they are with all the base colors applied, all by airbrush:

005-L.jpg

008-L.jpg

I'll focus on just one figure to show the technique, shadows added with oils:

011-L.jpg

And blended:

013-L.jpg

These are the only brushes I used. The Newton to apply the shadow and the Floquil brush to blend:

019-L.jpg

Highlights added:

015-L.jpg

And blended. Some other intermediate tones were also applied and blended.

021-L.jpg

At this point I was a bit worried. He looked like he was wearing leather paints and and it looked very splotchy, and the oil paints were catching the light in a weird way. I had planned to dull coat all the clothing items and then go back paint boots, belts, etc with oils, but wasn't sure how it would look.

Pleasant surprise! The dull coat worked great to flatten the oil colors. This was airbrushed with
Testors Dullcote, from the bottle, mixed 50/50 with plain lacquer thinner from Walmart.

I'm happy!!!

025-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Comments, critiques or questions most welcome!

Tom

Evolution Miniatures 1/35 SS Grenadiers

Looking really good so far.

I really like those figures, very crisp detail.

Looking really good Tom. The face hugger threw me for a moment :rotf
Watching with interest :D
James

Haha, that got me for a few seconds too, that and the Elephantiasis of the legs & feet, haha :laugh:

What kind of putty are you using for your masking like that? I've got Silly Putty, but it doesnt like staying in place when balled up like that.

Thanks guys!

Looking really good Tom. The face hugger threw me for a moment :rotf
Watching with interest :D
James

Yeah, kinda creepy huh...

Tom

Thanks guys!

Adam, the masking is Blu-Tack, you can get it from Amazon. I bought a crap ton of it a while
back, but I don't remember paying $7 a pack though, so you may want to shop around.

http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72

Tom

Ah, gotcha. Heard about it used a lot, but havent ever used it. I'll definitely have to look at getting some though for my figures, seems to work great for that.

Very Nice job on the paint ..... I'll have to Peruse this a bit more ..... great outcome .... :good:

Well done Tom!Great Step By Step as well. (y)

Did you use Humbrol enamels for the uniform colors?

Greetings,Ron.

Sweet start, Tom mate,....those Evolution figures and superb it makes life easier when you have a great base on which to start painting

I am watching with great interest as I really dont use oils and Im very interested on how you do yours (y)

Thanks Swordsman!

Well done Tom!Great Step By Step as well. (y)

Did you use Humbrol enamels for the uniform colors?

Greetings,Ron.

Hey Ron

Nope, no Humbrols, but they are lurking in the background. All the uniforms were airbrushed
with Tamiya acrylics. A few bits were brush painted with Reaper Miniatures acrylics.

Tom

Sweet start, Tom mate,....those Evolution figures and superb it makes life easier when you have a great base on which to start painting

I am watching with great interest as I really dont use oils and Im very interested on how you do yours (y)

Hey Andy, thanks!

I love these Evolution figures, but you better like painting folds and creases, there are
tons of them. I'm not 100% sure this method will work, first time I tried it, but so far so good.

Tom

:) ... Greetings ... :) :
That is very sharp, clean and crisp paint work on those figures. Very good work, thanks for those pictures. Very nice work ... :popcorn ... :good: .

Thanks DE3!

Been moving along on these, hope to get some more pics up soon.

Tom

Well, here they are...

Base coated with Tamiya and Reaper Miniatures acrylics, shadows and highlights done with oils and AK washes.

Next step is to Dull-Cote them, then paint belt, boots and faces, etc with oils.

032%2012.25.14-L.jpg

037%2012.25.14-L.jpg

039%2012.25.14-L.jpg

044%2012.25.14-L.jpg

047%2012.25.14-L.jpg

051%2012.25.14-L.jpg

053%2012.25.14-L.jpg

058%2012.25.14-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques most welcome!

Tom

Back