• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Emcha (Soviet M4A2 76mm) Dust Queen Rehab

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
I will either rename this thread or delete it depending on the answer...

SQ01.JPG

The dust encrusted display tomb, I mean case...

SQ02.JPG

ZipLoc bags so as not to lose any more pieces...

SQ03.jpg

The interior is scratch built, the casting numbers are new and differently located than the Tamiya M4A3 it was based on.

SQ04.JPG

The engine deck was converted based on Hunnicutt's book. A tarp strategically covers a slip of the knife boo boo.

SQ05.JPG

Twisted wire chains for the fuel, water, and oil filler caps.

SQ06.JPG

You can't see it but a new rear engine wall with exhausts was scratch built (sadly on a fully detailed M4A3 belly pan).

SQ07.JPG

Close up of the side showing the skip welded sand skirt brackets, home resin cast road wheels (Verlinden later came out with an update set that included this type), threaded rods and different casting marks on the bogies.

SQ08.JPG

Dilled out MG, MV lenses for head lights, studs on the MG cover ring, 'comb', and glacis converted to the later M4A2 (lifting loops outboard, rear view mirrors on brackets, etcetera).

SQ09.JPG

Extreme close up shoes some unidentified Top Brass PE piece laying in the filler cap area.

SQ10.JPG

Ignore the dust, it is a shelf queen after all and they don't clean themselves. Note the hasps and converted figure. He seems happy at the attention.

SQ11.JPG

More casting marks and a fully detailed M4A3 belly but this is an M4A2.

SQ12.JPG

Close up of the RO's hatch which broke off (since I made them all working).

SQ13.JPG

Other side, I see glue marks from my repair decades ago.

SQ14.JPG

Flimsy but working hinges gave way to hinges from the kit, sliced off and glued on.

SQ15.JPG

I don't remember what this is, an antenna perhaps?

SQ16.JPG

Hand painted markings and cast texture. Added the mantlet cover mounts but the subject didn't have them... I based my model on one image (the second shown below) which appeared in the Hunnicutt book and in Steven Zaloga's Osprey book on the Sherman in Allied use.

SQ17.JPG

Scratch built loader's hatch with locking bayonet detail. Note the clip, on the right, holding it open as per the original.

SQ18.JPG

Another close up highlighting the dust, I mean details.

SQ19.JPG

Hard to focus on something tiny, loader's hatch locking hasp and casting marks. This is an Italeri M4A1 76mm turret converted to a later version with oval loader's hatch using Verlinden's Sherman book as inspiration.

SQ20.JPG

Casting marks are correct for the part although this combination of foundries may not be found on an M4A2.

SQ21.JPG

The gun sight has snapped, it needs replacement or I can call it battle damage.

SQ22.JPG

Working Commander's hatch (which is a heavily reworked Tamiya item with the center rotated and lots of details added).

SQ23.JPG

Other side...

SQ24.JPG

Yep, still works.

SQ25.JPG

Replicated the patch the original subject had.

SQ26.JPG

Italeri PzKpfw IV muzzle brake becomes an American 76mm muzzle brake with details added. Again, idea taken form the Verlinden book.

The original subject:
17.jpg

Sherman_M4A2_76mm_5.jpg

Looking at the images of the original she needs repairs, a new belly pan (M4A2 style), removal of the gun mantlet cover fasteners, new road wheels, and new tracks.

Regards,

Re: Would this qualify?

Moon Puppy won't like where these images are hosted but they are quite old... yet, they tell you how casting numbers were done before Archer surface details.
:geek

387e.jpg

d57d.jpg

72ed.jpg

b9f3.jpg

c436.jpg

d779.jpg

3c7f.jpg

1f7c.jpg

c865.jpg

ba6b.jpg

Regards,

I've heard there is a pool started whether we'll see a completion, I'm not a gamblin' man myself..:popcorn

Who is running the pool? What are the odds and what is the pool at?

I like how you did the casting numbers Saul. :notworthy I was never able to do that. I have fallen in love with the Archer stuff.

Tomorrow I can begin. Tonight, I will wash the kit and look for the replacement parts to take photos in the morning. I also need to check my paint stock and see if I can find my painting notes. I recall starting with Forest Green and darkening it through washes.

Regards,

Well, it looks like I can't use the DS tracks on this build... I thought that might happen so I have several sets of Panda Plastics T54E1 tracks in the Hefty bag:
ShelfQueen001.JPG

Why? The ever so rare track sag on the supposedly live tracks:
17.jpg

Cleaning up DML spoked roadwheels and idlers at the moment.

Regards,

Back