• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard 1/48 IL-2M Shturmovik * Completed *

Phil

DSC_9420A.jpg~original

Since the lower paint on the Walrus is drying, time to start this one for this campaign

Bag has been opened and the plastic caressed! but that's all.

will be painted with Aeromaster Warbird colours, interior will be a discontinued Humbrol Russian Blue 115.

Day one begins!

Eduard 1/48 IL-2M Shturmovik

Thinking about this for Kirsk, be interested in your take on this kit.

Lookin good there Phil (y) , got the same kit in the stash myself :D .

Uuhhmmm.........just a heads up, new studies have shown that discontinued Humbrol 115 Russian Blue would be wrong, a look around here MIG 3 soviet warplanes , and the forum there may be of some help, I would suggest. I would personally use Humbrol 140 or a Neutral Grey (the American one ;) ) :drinks

Cheers Tim,
did a bit of testing and found Humbrol 145 is an exact match for the Pe coloured interior parts.

has your kit got a small paper tab saying 'molded in Korea' on it?

Cheers Tim,
did a bit of testing and found Humbrol 145 is an exact match for the Pe coloured interior parts.

has your kit got a small paper tab saying 'molded in Korea' on it?

If I remember correctly I think the plastic is from Accurate Miniatures. Which means it will be a dang nice kit.

Nice Phil!

Just bought the AM single seater yesterday as a trade it at the LHS.

Should be a good build!

Now I remember why I left this so long in the stash............

Quote:
Colour of Interior (and other ..) Surfaces of IL-2, IL-4 and others

Whenever interior colours are discussed there are conflicts and at the end, when discussion quiets down, the sides usually remain with their original opinions...

Fragments of three Il-2 Shturmoviks are preserved at the “GPW Museum” in Kiev, Ukraine. Planes were shot down at different times in the Murmansk region and were brought to Kiev in 1985. Planes belong to different series, ranging from a single-seater of the first series to the "classical” 1943 Il-2. The most interesting aspect is their interior colour. Unfortunately, the paint on the inside of the armored fuselage (“bronekorpus”) hasn’t been preserved, so we will talk about other parts of the airframe, in particular the landing gear wells. And that is the area where many modelers are making mistakes.

Interior of the single-seat Il-2 is unpainted, not even primed!!! Paint of the exterior surfaces is preserved in some places. But, no traces of paint inside! Virgin duralumin! Everything clean! Exterior was camouflaged in black and green. This is odd because first Il-2 series were not affected by the chaos of the evacuation and shortages of materials.

Next is the so-called IL-2M, straight duralumin wing, wooden tail, rear gunner’s cockpit as an "addition" (its parts also do not bear the slightest traces of paint), gunner’s canopy of the early-type, part that opens is straight without a windshield. The plane was carrying black and green camouflage and colors are preserved beautifully! Undersides are still shiny! Interior is primed with "zinc-chromate”, bomb bay sides are covered with the fabric lined plywood painted in silver. Access covers, gun bay covers and flaps skinning - all made of plywood. All internal surfaces are primed with zinc-chromate of different shades, in places it looks like Russian "aotake”. Serial number is preserved on the landing gear doors. No traces of other paints there.

Il-2M3 - Wooden wing consoles and rear fuselage, canopy rail fairings of the late type. All rivets of this aircraft are "flush", unlike the first two Il-2s. Exterior is painted in two layers of mid-green paint (overhauled?). Top layer is much lighter than the original paint. So, here is the fun part! Interior of the plane is again almost unpainted. Those parts which were visible after assembly, were sprayed (sometimes painted with brush) in dark green. All joints were brushed with orange paint. Il-2 fragments from the Finnish museum, from the same period and region, were painted the same way. Inside of the flaps and landing gear doors were painted blue, the colour of the lower surfaces. Landing gear wells and bomb bays are dark green. Silver plywood of bomb bays is again at its place!

There are also Pe-2 (with "turtle” rear gunner canopy) and DB-3F fragments in the museum. Interior of both is all zinc-chromate. Exterior of Pe-2 is sprayed in green and black, DB-3F is sprayed in green and sandy brown. On DB-3, literally a few flakes of paint are preserved. At first only the primer is visible. The paint can be seen Only on the photo, but it is not indicative. There could be anything you want. Only a few fragments are preserved - the airscrew and part around the tail wheel strut attachment. The strut and area around it was sprayed with gray-blue over the primer. Wings interior of the Poklonnaya Gora Il-4 is also zinc-chromate, the Finns also have fragments of the same colour.

----------------
going by the parts colour callouts, most are called H70/ which is grey/green = rlm02.

this means that this colour is to be used - by the instructions - not only in the cockpit area parts and insides of the airframe, but also gear wells/legs and surrounding areas.

Doing more reading and searching it seems everyone has a different opinion, different paint specs and different shades.

Add into the mix the variations the Russians used this can drive a modeler crazy.

now going by this build
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234918404-hobbyboss-il-2m3-sturmovik/

(( For the IL-2 I have seen reference for the interiors from RLM 02 to various shades of grey. I went for a Humbrol version of
neutral grey compared to pics and ideas I pinched of some other modellers B))

grey was used.

page two answers yet another mystery of this aircraft - what wood was used?
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234918404-hobbyboss-il-2m3-sturmovik/page-2

half way down shows this , which will stop any embarrassing errors on paint chipping!!

now one can search and scroll through page after page of info on interior colours and come up with one conclusion - they are all different!!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=IL-2M+Sturmovik+interior+color&client=firefox-a&hs=kWQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Zw2rUaDnK-q5iQfK84GQDg&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=923

pit2.jpg~original

pit1.jpg~original

tbf102.jpg~original

DSC_1992mrb.jpg~original

green in this one!!
1708347634_b5545160ab_o.jpg~original

one can post photo after photo until you head for the Vodka bottle!!! but I think - if it feels right - go with it. :zen

I personally think that using colour pics to make colour choices determine is worse then trying to do that with Black and White ones, I really do. I have stocked up on Akan's VVS paints and their Version of the interior Grey does not match the instrument panel, the paint is a bit darker. I personally don't like the pre-painted etch, it's to bad that Eduard doesn't give you the decal as well because it really does work well with the clear instrument panel, which is from what I've found, supposed to be black. Granted though, there have been complaints about Akan's paint being a touch to dark.

To give you an idea here are some landing gear from AM's kit painted in Akans paint with the etch from Eduards, The paint appears darker in the pic then it actually is in reality, it's much closer to Tamiya's Neutral Grey, but a bit browner.
IMG_0227.JPG

Here is a better pic of them
IMG_0046.JPG

Here is how I painted my gear wells,
IMG_0043.JPG

I have a book on the Pe 2 that has some colour pics of an unrestored interior, there are a variety of different shades of green and the colour I used is a Vallejo which I forget and matches loosely those if you know what I mean. The blue is Humbrol 65 which falls well into the 'close 'nough range.

And here is a the Captains chair from a Pe-2, notice it's not grey
Pe-2_pilot_seat.jpg

And here is the colour of my cockpit based on somebodies book......let me just say I'm not amused :angry:
IMG_0069.JPG

And just a bit of an FYI, Accurate Miniatures produced the single seat IL-2 and IL-2 Arrow 2 seater, The Italeri IL-2 Arrow kit is the same as kit as the Accurate Miniatures kit, The Eduard kit has the 2 seater fuselage with the wings from the single seat version so that one Out Of The Box is the straight wing version of the IL-2, if you want the Arrow you will have to get either the Italeri or AM kit. Also any IL-2 kit, 1/48 or 1/72, that is marketed by Academy is the Accurate Miniatures kit. AM was going to release the IL-2 in 1/72 but things went bust before that happened so the 1/72 kit is a scaled down version of the 1/48 kit.

What's wrong with the interior color?? I think it's looking great so far :popcorn

I really don't know much about Russian birds during WWII. But weren't quite a few of the Il-2s build in converted tractor factories and that type of thing? I would think that with so many aircraft being built in so many different places that the interior color would vary widely. I can imagine they probably mixed whatever was on hand at the time. Of course I could be way off also. Just my thoughts.

Dont forget that those factories all later were removed further into the interior of Russia. I really think color accuracy was far from beeing theyr biggest priority.

The clean up and readying parts for some paint underway
DSC_9464x1.jpg~original

The kit supplied cannon barrels part 182 :hmmm
DSC_9454x1.jpg~original

enough of that! away with the rounded plastic and on with some brass tube
DSC_9455x1.jpg~original

DSC_9460x1.jpg~original

DSC_9461x1.jpg~original

paint choices - I'm undecided.

145 115 humbrol 02 model master

The Tamiya kit and this one call for RLM 02

DSC_9484c.jpg~original

DSC_9482c.jpg~original

If you'd want to match the PE, which is likely wrong...They did it on the Wildcat Zoom set.

Get to it Phil :popcorn

Back