• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Early M4A1... the curvy hulled one

BradJ

Well some proof that I'm still working on something...

A quick intro...
This configuration is the M4A1 DV. Only approximately 270 were built with this hull design feature (The DV pertains to the hinged armoured hatches over the driver and bow gunner ports which covered a slit for direct vision for them. I believe this was found to be a shot-trap/weak-point and was omitted from future production runs. The hoods were protruded further forward, mounting a fixed 'scope point in addition to the revolving hatch mounted 'scope. The suspension is the early M3 VVS as featured on the M3 series of tanks. This was improved upon later by the inclusion of an arm holding the return roller to one side and mounting a skid for the track to rest upon. My guess is to take up additional track sag and prevent thrown tracks...
Anyhoo, I am going to have this one set in the MTO and have two crew swabbing the guntube and a few items placed here and there. (Including a kitten I sculpted)

So here goes... I haven't bored you too much with the complete build per se, as this gives me more time and space to bore you with the rest of the stuff :blink
I have added Archer casting numbers and some other bits of PE including Aber and the kit stuff...

IMG_1113.jpg

The General Steel symbol on the rear bustle from Archer was not accurate enough in shape for my liking, so I resorted to a spares box DML fret that had a better shaped one. I added some casting scars for this and other foundry numbers/symbols from putty, using photo reference from surviving tanks (eg. tank monuments throughout France)
The casting scar around the bustle lower edge is different to the join of top and bottom turret halves, so this join line was puttied over and a new putty 'casting ' line was added.

IMG_1112.jpg

Using a pen I marked where the casting scars would be as per reference photos, and secured the decals in place. Take note that the numbers should read 50808 not 50308 as this is an error. It could be fixed using individual alphanumerics provided, but as this decal was one piece I thought it easier alter the 3 to an 8 later, whilst in position...

IMG_1111.jpg

I used a combination of the kit and Formations tools and added tie downs from a Voyager fret I had lying around.

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

More to come later...
Brad :side:

Most of the words were gobble-de-goop to me, but nice pictures :)

Good to see you building again, even if you have to pull sickies to get some building time :laugh:

B) nice start and great attention to detail Brad. I look forward to seeing more soon!
p.s. Thanks for the Sherman lesson too. Very interesting stuff. ;)

Ian.

Looking good. I like the casting numbers you added. The casting mold mark on the turret rear looks good too.

Hey Brad , great to see you building again mate , even though its panzer fodder i will be following with interest

Hope this one makes it to wheels and tracks if not expo

btw great attention to detail , it's the finer detail that make a build IMO

cheers

Matt :)

Thanks to you all for your interest... I know that is is probably far from a glamour tank, but the US forces cut their teeth on it facing superior tactics and weaponry but gradually learned tough lessons and how to use their inferior tanks to better effect.
jknaus wrote:
Looking good. I look forward to seeing it painted up.
James

You and me both James ;)

Brad :side:

Now some more progress...

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

The rear tail-light guards are of an early rarer design which differ to the normal in having two return arms. Hard to see without a close-up reference shot of the part...

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Tried to replicate smoothed sections of the casting in addition to the pitted effect overall.

IMG_1141.jpg

Brad

Forging on regardless...
I have since found out that the style of rear light guard I scratched is in fact only present on the Lima production tanks of which another feature is welded hulls. This kit has a rivetted hull so I had to make a decision to change one or the other, so off went the light guards :angry: This tank represents a Pressed Steel Car (PSC) hull.

Here is a winter combat jacket I sculpted. This will have an animal of some kind on it... A mog is the front runner at the moment...

IMG_1151.jpg

Brad

Kreighshoer wrote:
that's great looking! the shermie is coming along very nice and that jacket is just super!
I agree with Laura, Brad, those are some very excellent details! (y)

Excellent. You should cast the jacket, I'm sure there would be interest for resin versions (me for one).
James

Looking great Brad. Never thought of adding casting blemishes like that. The figure sculpt is a beauty.

Laura & Mike & Terry, thanks for the encouragement...
James, I'm sure with my ineptitude for casting even I could churn out something useable as far as uniform items are concerned... I'll keep you posted ;)
Ted, upon viewing a few walk arounds, I concluded that this would be the easiest way to replicate what I was seeing. The figure will hopefully soon make it to a mould and possibbly get on sale somewherw at some stage ;)

Great surface work on the Sherman. The detail of the PE is nicely done.
The jacket is worthy of casting. Try sculpting another one and cast the second so you have the original.

Back