• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22 I'M ALIVE! AAAAALLIIIIIVE!

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22 Rolling Again/Cue Rowdy Yates!

Looks like you got it. (y) :drinks

So I am now thinking that the color may or may not be correct - althought this cream color would have been correct for the tank interiors of the time, this may have not been considered a tank, hence the panzer yellow interior. Not sure of I am going to re-do it or not, though..........

Thanks for all the encouragement just the same!

Strip it, do it again and mark it down as experience. I think you did a good job on the chipping, now do it with the right color. You'll just do it better the second time. :popcorn

Yep that is what I will do! Actually, the color WAS creme and then they painted it dark yeloow in the passenger area. So the job MAY be easier, but tyes, I intend to do it properly!

Yep that is what I will do! Actually, the color WAS creme and then they painted it dark yeloow in the passenger area. So the job MAY be easier, but tyes, I intend to do it properly!

Hmm, wouldn't they just paint over it? & with wear & tear, some of the cream would show through? :hmmm

The only time the interior of the driving area was ivory was when the exterior was dark gray. Being open topped, the German yellow was considered light enough for the interior once the camouflage changed over.

Pictures say a lot more...

hde255f3.jpg

h8ef6088_2015-12-14.jpg

hd3a0283.jpg

hb3d8e6c.jpg

hd3f57e3.jpg

h8a92204.jpg

Regards,

Hmm, wouldn't they just paint over it? & with wear & tear, some of the cream would show through? :hmmm

That is the plan!

Ok so here is some more progres. this thing has really vexed me from the start. I mean, I have certainly made some notable mistakes ( & I honestly appreciate the help with those, as opposed to building it totally wrong!) but I have to observe that not much on this thing fits together without quite a bit of handwork. When you compare this to the Trumpeter KV-2 or the Tamiya Merkava 1 I have also been working on, which seemed to almost fall together, this has been a TOUGH sucker, and if I did not have so much cash and hard-headedness invested in it, I would have taken it on a one-way trip to the rifle range (I do have an AR-10 that needs to be sighted in....)

At any rate, I got the interior painted (NOTE: this is just press-fit together in these pics). the Tamiya paint is great stuff, just lays down flat and no real issues, easy to work with. When I stripped the interior I left it a tad rough, and in painting this I found that the Tamiya paint resisted the AK Chipping fluid to a high degree, so I opted for a combo of the previously stated roughness and leaving the red primer showing a tad in some areas, this will facillitate the blending/weathering of the interior, my next step.

Note also how the gun mount, though just press-fit in there, does so in a very poor manner. you guys would not believe the amount of sanding I have had to do to get it to fit.

Hope to have the interior painted and sealed up maybe in the next week. So with evrything just press fit together, note how far back that gun sat, and how little room there is for the crew. really gives you an appreciation of the size of the pak40 on this particular setup

That very last pic had a bit of flash to it, so some of the red from the primer is bleeding thru. I need to maybe give it a bit more of a coat (have not tried any color modulation on it until I get it sealed up), but it is not bleeding thru so heavily when you actually see it.

Well, it continues to fight me every step of the way, but I soldier on!

Ok so here is some more progres. this thing has really vexed me from the start. I mean, I have certainly made some notable mistakes ( & I honestly appreciate the help with those, as opposed to building it totally wrong!) but I have to observe that not much on this thing fits together without quite a bit of handwork. When you compare this to the Trumpeter KV-2 or the Tamiya Merkava 1 I have also been working on, which seemed to almost fall together, this has been a TOUGH sucker, and if I did not have so much cash and hard-headedness invested in it, I would have taken it on a one-way trip to the rifle range (I do have an AR-10 that needs to be sighted in....)

At any rate, I got the interior painted (NOTE: this is just press-fit together in these pics). the Tamiya paint is great stuff, just lays down flat and no real issues, easy to work with. When I stripped the interior I left it a tad rough, and in painting this I found that the Tamiya paint resisted the AK Chipping fluid to a high degree, so I opted for a combo of the previously stated roughness and leaving the red primer showing a tad in some areas, this will facillitate the blending/weathering of the interior, my next step.

Note also how the gun mount, though just press-fit in there, does so in a very poor manner. you guys would not believe the amount of sanding I have had to do to get it to fit.

Hope to have the interior painted and sealed up maybe in the next week. So with evrything just press fit together, note how far back that gun sat, and how little room there is for the crew. really gives you an appreciation of the size of the pak40 on this particular setup

That very last pic had a bit of flash to it, so some of the red from the primer is bleeding thru. I need to maybe give it a bit more of a coat (have not tried any color modulation on it until I get it sealed up), but it is not bleeding thru so heavily when you actually see it.

Well, it continues to fight me every step of the way, but I soldier on!

Looks good so far Bruce :good: Is this gonna be heavily or moderately weathered? If so, the bleed thru would aid in that look :drinks
:popcorn

Ok so maybe that is a bit much, but really...I am alive! Life is keeping me very busy, but here is some for what I have been working on!

Hey Iron Mike, Heavens Eagle, and MP, here is proof you CAN build it inside the box....

So this I continue to work on, and it contiues to vex me! I have it nearly ready to seal up, syou can see what I have been up to here, getting it ready:

One way that this thing continues to really vex me is that the gun is sitting ALOT farther back than I thought I would really cramping up the back of the fighting compartment! I have 4 figures more or less ready to go, and as you can see, just two of them really take up the room, how am I going to get the others in here I do not know!

I may yet have to cut this apart again! I am no convinced that the gun sits a good bit farther forward than i have it - the blame is partly mine. Groan....if I were not so hard headed, I would relegate this one to the shelf of doom....

And here it is after I sat at the sink with a thin flow of water and a brush making the stabbing motions, as suggested by our own Iron Mike in his Wespe build!

Do you have the link to Iron Mike's wespe build? I searched "wespe" and only got three hits. I've got the chipping fluids too, but have not tried it.

Leap and the net will appear.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/armoured-fury/130568-tamiya-wespe

I was thinking I need to finish this...

Back