• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22 I'M ALIVE! AAAAALLIIIIIVE!

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22

The little lights are not twinkling, Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaxNehMibg

Your links are not working, Bruce. Sorry to hear about the mishap, happens to everyone. Welcome to the brotherhood.

:drinks

A favorite scene!

I am going to keep going, not going to let this stop me. I am thinking some Mr. Surfacer and use what little is left of my last Coarse Squadron Sanding Stick should do it.

Almost every part I was working on got it in some shape/form/fasion. :( this was the worst. One good thing though, the wifey was super-understanding and did not fuss, though there is now a bit of box-top stck to the kitchen table. :sick: 'Least I have a great wife!

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22

Sorry about that Bruce. Listen to what Mike said about cleaning up the parts, let it harden before messing with it too much. For the table top, sorry, got nothing. :idonno

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22

Bruce... Looks like a good start to a wrecked dio.... I agree with Bob, listen to Mike :good:
Now how in tarnation did the boxtop stick to the table?!? :unsure: :huh: :huh: If ya spilt plastic weld, it shouldn't. Uless ya got some plastic in between.... might try a hair dryer on high heat to it & see if it pulls up.

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22 - TRAGEDY STRIKES!!!!!!

Ah... :bang head

I had similar problem... with the model part I ruined my new cutting mat...

All the best!
Dusan.

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22

Bruce... Looks like a good start to a wrecked dio.... I agree with Bob, listen to Mike :good:
Now how in tarnation did the boxtop stick to the table?!? :unsure: :huh: :huh: If ya spilt plastic weld, it shouldn't. Uless ya got some plastic in between.... might try a hair dryer on high heat to it & see if it pulls up.

Boxtop got soaked. As it dried a bit of it stuck to the table - looks like as it soaked thru it softened the varnish of our Rooms to Go table.

Not sure what I am going to about the table. I think some of the suggestions above and judicious camouflage will cover most of it.

Surprising the level of detail this thing has! I mean really neat. I will try to get the sub assy's in some semblance of construction this week, so hope o have something substantial by the weekend.

Like they said, welcome to the brotherhood. Spilled some on the coffee table while working on a model. Glued the battery door on the tv remote shut. Lucky for me the tabletop was marble. A light sanding with medium and fine sandpaper will even out the tabletop. Get some Minwax water based clear and on a sunny day put a couple of coats on the top, lightly sanding in between coats. It will be okay. If you don't have a random orbit sander, here is a great excuse to buy one.

:good:

Like they said, welcome to the brotherhood. Spilled some on the coffee table while working on a model. Glued the battery door on the tv remote shut. Lucky for me the tabletop was marble. A light sanding with medium and fine sandpaper will even out the tabletop. Get some Minwax water based clear and on a sunny day put a couple of coats on the top, lightly sanding in between coats. It will be okay. If you don't have a random orbit sander, here is a great excuse to buy one.

:good:

Thanks Sir and thanks to all! I will try it later today! The table is special to us. In out little house, it is not just where we eat, but also where we talk, MODEL 9duh!) and spend time in prayer daily, so it is important. The fact the missus was so understanding says what I good wife I Have!

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22

Boxtop got soaked. As it dried a bit of it stuck to the table - looks like as it soaked thru it softened the varnish of our Rooms to Go table.

Not sure what I am going to about the table. I think some of the suggestions above and judicious camouflage will cover most of it.

Surprising the level of detail this thing has! I mean really neat. I will try to get the sub assy's in some semblance of construction this week, so hope o have something substantial by the weekend.

Things happen Bruce. When they do, we like seeing pics!! We are of a collective mind so, maybe we can help you figger out a solution to your problem... :hmmm I think the heat treatment may do it followed up with a light wax & sanding after removing said box top.

Been there done that and took my T-shirt of to clean the desk.

What Mike said Let it harden,

There flat steel plates...... you get some nice rolled steel texture and the weld seams on the side you make with stretched sprue.

Bruce you can always sand those blemished parts and if you can't get 'em smooth, jus glue on a layer of your thinnest styrene and trim to shape. Just resurface them! :soldier :soldier :soldier

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! thankfully, the part shown is the lower hull, so alot of the damage will be hidden via the sponsons, and on the interior there are 75mm ammo boxes and the like I have not attached, so much of it will be covered. I sanded it quite a bit and it is pretty smooth to the touch now. I have some Mr. Surfacer on the way, so I can go that route if needed, but actually Chuckw's suggestion will likely be what I go with, if need be.

So I FINALLY Got soe time with this, now that the respiratlry infection is gone! Just today a little package from AK interactive showed up, too bad I did not get home until near-dark:

This is actually a bit intimidating to me, 'cause I got to do some serious praying that I can do some work like Iron Mike &/or wds....you two set the bar very high!

Below are some pics of PRESS FIT stuff, not alot of cement. The gun mount, gun shield, gun, lower hull, and sides are what are just ress fit so you can get a look. That side that got spalshed is now a poorer fit, as you can see:

Bear in mind, the gun is mostly press-fit together, with some other stuff yet to fit, but man is looking cool!

CANNOT WAIT to get some time to Prime and work the interior over the weekend, this thing is really looking like it will come together very well!

Ok so I remembered that one of my Youtube faves had gotten a PAK 40 up & running and actually FIRED it. here it is, along with another. THE MUZZLE BLAST IS INCREDIBLE! Pity the poor driver, he was right under it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7fhBm1ouSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9vqJZkmJY

Note that in one of those vids, the thing sets off car alarms!!!!

I suspect, much like the GMC 75, the driver was not in the driver seat when it was fired. They would move vehicle where they needed it and then the crew would take their firing positions. Driver likely doubled as a loader or some other support role.

Looking good Bruce. :popcorn

I suspect, much like the GMC 75, the driver was not in the driver seat when it was fired. They would move vehicle where they needed it and then the crew would take their firing positions. Driver likely doubled as a loader or some other support role.

Looking good Bruce. :popcorn

Thanks! Weird part is, I don't think there is a door anywhere, it looks like the driver would have to slide UNDER the gun mount to get to the seat!

At any rate, it is 'rolling' again, so instead of pulling the plug ("That ain't no Hank Williams Song!!!"), I am going to go with Rowdy Yates, via Dan Akroyd and the late John Belushi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdR6MN2jKYs

That obscure reference is for you, MP B)

Dragon SDKFZ 251/22 Rolling Again/Cue Rowdy Yates!

Frankie Laine recorded that one way way back,1958. :D

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

Lookin' good Bruce! Enjoyed them videos too!! :woohoo: :ro: :drinks

Ok, so I FINALLY got some more work fone on this! Gang, I have to admit, the whole AK Chipping effects thing really had me worried, but im the end, I dee-cided to go with it. I was pretty nervous, but at any rate, here are the upper & lower hull halves with the white interior (after application of the AK Red Primer and the AK Chipping Effects Fluid). Note that I got some great bible reading/study in between coats, so I was slow to get to each coat:

And here it is after I sat at the sink with a thin flow of water and a brush making the stabbing motions, as suggested by our own Iron Mike in his Wespe build!

I have to say, this was really quite easy! I got it down without a big issue and I look forward to doing more - I went ahead and got the Panzer yellow initial coats on the exterior, but forgot to get pics.
Lastly, I went ahead and got a stowage set from Verlinden for it

Sm thinking this week I can get to the figures in earnest and some of the 'stuff' for the interior painted and installed, so I can get her sealed up. Great to be back on track with this project...I was initially a bit nervous, but now I think it is getting on quite well!

Back