• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon 1/48 Me262A-1a/U4

Thanks MP, the big question now is to leave it as is or flatcoat the NMF when I do the rest of the paint.
:unsure:

I'd leave it, I think having an opposing finish between the colors really enhance them. The NMF nose would not have been dulled would it?

Possibly the one and only pic that actually states this is Wrk 111899
(osprey aircraft of the aces 17 german jet Aces of WW2)
u4c1.jpg

nosecone will be shaded darker as well.

In reply to the nose finish , I think that sanding all that filler smooth would have scratched the bare metal and caused it to turn dull very quickly ( my opinion only ). :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

The unpainted metal would not stay shiney for too long, none of the unpainted Me 262s captured at the end of the war had much shine to them and looked like they had more of a dull finish than a shiney one.

Matrixone

Hey Bob, just my opinion again but I'm thinking that there was little metal that escaped the sanding ( if any ) . The aerodynamic sealer probably had to be planed so as to avoid wrinkles.
The paint itself ( so I read ) no longer met RLM standards late in the war since they were running out of pigments and other materials that are used in the mix. I have seen colored pictures of captured 262 that just looked completely washed out.. I don't think this airframe had the poor quality paint applied to it on the rear section. It had probably been around for some time.

Cheers, Christian B)

The pic is from Osprey aviation elite units Jagdverband 44 Squadron of experten.

DSC_0116jv44.jpg

I was going by this plate as how is was painted when at JV 44

-------------------------------

* * the book plate states, * *
111899 painted in a std late war splinter pattern and mottle combo over the main airframe, it appears a replacement rudder is fitted poss in 80 or 83. (Note: the kit gives two rudders)

The specially fitted bare metal nose section housing the mechanism for the Mk214 was patched with filler paste, and the actual panels housing the barrel appear to be of a different metal to the rest of the nose cone. * *
-----------------------------------------

Unfortunately there are no more photos of 111899 to show what actual scheme it was painted in either full or the ''new unpainted '' nose section when with JV 44, only other reference I have is this one but I think it is a guess? or what it may have looked like

Some info on 111899 from the book

* * Willi Herget visited the test centre 5 April 1945 and carried out trials with the new aircraft, a standard 262 fitted with the 214 Mauser long barrelled 50mm cannon, the origin believed to lie with Hitler who lent his support for the idea to knock down enemy bombers from outside their defensive range of fire.

The cannon had fired successfully 128 times before it malfunctioned, once repaired Herget flew it and fired another 6 rounds before attempting to use the Mk214 on April 16 against U.S. bombers, on both missions the gun jammed.

Despite this another 262 was equipped but highly unlikely it ever saw combat use.

Herget is then thought to have flown the 1st 262 u4 to Munich-Riem where it was placed on charge with JV 44 * *

(personally I don't think there was any time to paint the new nose section with all the trials and repairs before Herget flew it to JV 44 I couldn't find what happened to 111899 but the book states)

* * on May 4 after orders came through to destroy all papers files and docs, around 0715 hrs Hauptmann Krupinski and a mechanic were doing their best to keep warm from an engine of a Kettenkrad, they had a box of grenades with them.

two hours past and American armour began to move, at this time Krupinski and the mechanic fired up the Kretten and rode past the line of 262's as fast as they could, placing grenades into the intakes of each engine of the line of 262's, one by one the grenades exploded, blasting the Jumo's apart.
the tanks stopped, and watched, they didn't open fire. * *
--------------------------------------------------------------

After spending some hours searching the net for this elusive bird's info! this is what I found on the U4 variants.

( 3 U4 variants now )

Messerschmitt fitted a Me 262 A-1a (c/n 130083) with an 1.97 in (50 mm) Mauser BK 5 cannon, to become a Pulkzerstörer (formation destroyer).

After initial testing at the companies test field at Lager-Lechfeld, two more Me 262 A-1a's, c/n 111899 and 170083, were converted and designated Me 262 A-1a/U4.

Wearing the test code 'V899' and 'V083' respectively, they were flown and tested from Lager-Lechfeld during March and April, 1945.

One photo that actually states this is Wrk 111899
(osprey aircraft of the aces 17 German jet Aces of WW2)
u4c1.jpg

Wrk 170083
u4c3.jpg

Wrk unknown not stated - totally different mottle scheme
(osprey aircraft of the aces 17 german jet Aces of WW2

u4c2.jpg

u4text1a.jpg

then there is this color plate

u4_plate.jpg

u4text2b.jpg

well I was at the end of the build, the sweet realisation of completion, time to fit the canopy to make this bird look like it should - so what do we get, place the front canopy section, place the rear canopy section, now place the centre opening section - and we have a 1/16th gap between the front and the rear of the centre piece to the corresponding canopy sections - Very Nice - NOT!

While I enjoyed this kit from Dragon, can't fault the inbox details, love the opening cannon cover, the fit was tricky to say the least, there are four major faults with it counting the canopy, but I'm not pointing them out so your eyes won't go to them, but you do now know about the canopy, oh there is another fault with it being a touch narrow..........

DSC_1765f1.jpg

DSC_1755f1.jpg

DSC_1769f1.jpg

DSC_1740x1.jpg

DSC_1891x3A.jpg

DSC_1794z1s.jpg

DSC_1810z1.jpg

DSC_1814z1.jpg

DSC_1811zs2.jpg

DSC_1817z1.jpg

DSC_1829z1.jpg

camouflage
DSC_1825z1.jpg

DSC_1809B.jpg

DSC_1897x3.jpg

DSC_1893x3.jpg

DSC_1911x3.jpg

DSC_1912x3.jpg

DSC_1957x2.jpg

DSC_1962x2.jpg

DSC_1926x3.jpg

DSC_1966x2.jpg

DSC_1975x2.jpg

DSC_1971x2.jpg

DSC_1953x2.jpg

Hope you liked these pics - Aperture F25, Shutter 1/3 White Bal Cloudy, Flash - slow

I made the decision not to flat coat the nose section because I did not want to take the chance of a possible disaster :)

DSC_1891x3Abw.jpg

Home base!!
DSC_1785x4.jpg

Well inspite of any troubles you may have had this is still a slick looking bird. Well Done!!

B)

The bird came out quite nicely. Probably a good decision to skip that step and avoid possible problems.\

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Phil,

Great work! The filler was a tan colored putty, with a yellowish tinge. this was seen on the Swallow during restoration work.

The best reference on the Me-262 is the four volume set from Classic Publications. In them, volumes two and four have information on this variant. Three were being built.

Wk.Nr. 111899 received MK 214 A V2 cannon (under development) and had the unpainted nose. It was flown and tested during March, 1945.

Wk.Nr. 170083 was fitted with MK 214 A V3 cannon in April. The authors doubt it flew before the airfield was overrun by the Americans. This aircraft V083 became part of the Watson's Whizzers collection receiving the name Wilma Jeane (with Wilma's profile) before being repainted as Happy Hunter II. This aircraft's nose was painted in all photographs.

Wk.Nr. ?????? was shown in a destroyed factory undergoing the modifications to install MK214 A V4 cannon.

As for the photograph with the "frontal three quarter view", it seems off to me. The national markings, angle of the gun in relation to the engine thrust line, and shadow under the left nacelle opening make me doubt this is a real aircraft and not a model.

Regards,

That's interesting that you picked that frontal three quarter view as not quite right, while searching I also found that second pic and thought something looked odd with the two photos somehow

Me262-Mk214_42.jpg

Me262_56f.jpg

Back