• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DONT misuse tools

jknaus

Administrator
Today is just going to the mean dogs real quick. As a public service announcement I would highly recommend you use tools properly. I took my dremel which has a broken drill bit and went to drill a hole to put brass rod in the foot of a figure to be able to hold him. Note I said broken drill bit. Seemed like it was sharp enough to do the job so why not.
Here is why not. The drill bit will no longer drill in properly. Instead it will skitter across a surface. Well enough, but let it be known you should not apply pressure to said drill while it is on high, because it will skitter faster.

How do I know these things? Well I found out by drilling into the figure and applying presseure and having the drill skitter to a soft spot where it could folly start drilling. Under my thumb nail. Yep it goes real deep real fast in tender soft spots. I have just stopped whimpering and crying like a little girl. My thumb is throbbing and my cats while initially startled and concerned by my antics are now snickering in the background. I kind of thought they where sadistic, now I know. George now has a huge grin on her face.

Moral to the story is DONT drill with a broken drill bit, especially not while applying pressure, and most importantly DO NOT do this in front of your pet.

Just thought I would warn you all.
James :blush:

I cant believe how much this hurts. I think I will forgo modeling today lest I find some other important safety tip to pass on.

Oh and my usually terrible spelling really stands out now that I've wiped the tears from my eyes.

JAmes

Ouch, hope the finger gets better soon.
Kinda did the same at work with an 18v power drill. Yep right down to the bone. i feel your pain.

Cheers
Rob
www.scratchmod.com

James, I hear ya! Made me think about a past encounter with the hammer (twice in the same day!)
IMG_1783.jpg

Hope you feel better real soon!

Ouch Mike. Done that in the past. I cant believe this still hurts. To make things worse the wife just got home from work. I'm glad I entertain her so. Now if only she'd stop laughing and the cats would stop grinning.......sigh

James

:( Poor James :( . I will fairy kiss the Boo Boo :angle

Hmmmmm my worst one I did with a power tool while modelling :unsure:

Oooooh wait I willl upload photomagraphs

My first and only joint project with Richie :blush: was our big bridge diorama .

In the early stages Richie carefully measured the placement of all the bridge piers and drilled holes in the base to place dowels so they were secure when pouring the resin water.

Matching holes were drilled in the piers like this

BridgeDiorama006.jpg

And then :blush: Jenny went to help :blush: :unsure:

BridgeDiorama007.jpg

And they look like this :unsure: :blush: :eek:hmy: !

:unsure: Richie don't let me touch power tools anymore :blush: . I still remember all he said to me for about a week , every time he looked at me was , " And they let you handle F*#@ing explosives ? "

Jenny :kiss:

Guys, the fingernails are a very sensitive area, inserting drill bits under them and hitting them with a hammer isn't really recommended. If they are really hurting badly mind you, there is always the option of pulling them off, it's quite amazing how deep into the finger they actually go.

:blink

Of course, during the winter, in ten below temperature helps a bit in numbing them (that's snow on the ground)

im000138_1_20100903_1263867109.jpg

I don't have much luck with dremels. I got scratches on my legs when holding something with my knees and the round cutting blades broke, and while drilling a hole in a base put the drill bit clear through my finger tip nd out the nail. Didn't bleed and didnt hurt! For a while at least!

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

I remember as a teenager my Mum buying a new lampshade for the ceiling light in my bedroom

So anyway you know the rule of NOT cutting towards you with a sharp, or blunt for that matter, knife blade ?

Anyway the blade slipped right into the knuckle of my left index finger and whoosh up went the claret right onto the newly purchased lampshade

Guess what Mum was more concerned about ? :(

Still got the scar 30years later :D

This is more of a hint rather than a misuse. If your wearing shorts and you drop your soldering iron, don't use your legs to catch it. :blink It really hurts...

Deano13 wrote:
This is more of a hint rather than a misuse. If your wearing shorts and you drop your soldering iron, don't use your legs to catch it. :blink It really hurts...
:pinch:

Ken Abrams wrote:
Guys, the fingernails are a very sensitive area, inserting drill bits under them and hitting them with a hammer isn't really recommended. If they are really hurting badly mind you, there is always the option of pulling them off, it's quite amazing how deep into the finger they actually go.

:blink

Of course, during the winter, in ten below temperature helps a bit in numbing them (that's snow on the ground)

im000138_1_20100903_1263867109.jpg

OUCH!!! Don't know how I missed this when you posted.

MPH (modelers purple heart), I like that Johnny, maybe we can get the Graphics department to come up with that badge. Of course to earn that you have to post pictures of the wound... :blink

They said it was a million dollar wound, but I never did see any of the money. Gump

That's a badge I'd just as soon avoid!

Back