• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Sexton II WIP

I liked the Dragon Dusan it's very nice. (y)

Yep Randy it will. UK camo is not as fancy as German,I think they call it Mickey Mouse. :laugh:

Appreciate you guys coming by
Tony lee

OK Folks it's critique Time

005-10.jpg

003-24.jpg

001-46.jpg

004-13.jpg

Don't be bashful now
Tony lee

Shalom Tony.

That looks very nice.

I noticed that the dark colour isn't a uniform collour. Did you hand paint it? Is it intentional and designed to look disressed?

Another thing I see that looks interesting is the pattern of the light colur on the left side where it wraps around the front of the gun area and just above the forwardmost bogie. Take a look at it and tell me if it doesn't remind you of the head of a pig?

Cheers

Tank, I sprayed the left side but was getting a slight soft edge where it should be sharp so
I hand painted the rest.

I should have shot a clear coat over the brown first but never thought of it and therefore the black melted through the brown. The more I fooled with it the worse it got so I thought I would get opinions
for the worn look are try and fill in the black more after it dries over night.

That scheme is like looking at clouds and finding all kinds of faces and creatures. :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to post your critique
Tony lee :D

Hiya Tony. Looking cool. I wonder if an airbrush on low pressure with thin paint sprayed inside the border would help with the cloud effect? I would be a bit gun shy of trying to hand paint again in case you melt through again. Other than that maybe use a different brand/type for the black so it will not affect what you already have? I'm assuming you want it straight so I would say it cant stay this way. Dont mean to sound nasty, just hoping to help. I think the airbrush would be the best option.
James

PS I like the design though. That looks quite sharp.
James

James I wouldn't have ask if I didn't want straight opinions.

I've got an airbrush with a very fine needle and by setting the air pressure real low and the paint thinned well i'm game for filling in the black more.

It's only paint and i've got plenty. (y)

Thank you James appreciate your honesty.
Tony lee

I wonder if a clear coat will even it out, if it's really flat. :popcorn

If that's the effect you're going for I'd say you nailed it...

hmm...think James is right, low pressure and thin. :zen

Tank, I sprayed the left side but was getting a slight soft edge where it should be sharp so
I hand painted the rest.

I should have shot a clear coat over the brown first but never thought of it and therefore the black melted through the brown. The more I fooled with it the worse it got so I thought I would get opinions
for the worn look are try and fill in the black more after it dries over night.

That scheme is like looking at clouds and finding all kinds of faces and creatures. :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to post your critique
Tony lee :D

Shalom Tony.

I still think the camo looks good.

Did you mask the area where the dark clour went? I was just thiking; perhaps when you weather the model the dark paint problem will hardly be noticeable. Are you going to add a heavy dust leyer to it? Major Robert Crisp in his book BRAZEN CHARIOTS said that many times the vehicles woul look almost white due to the dust of the North Africa area coating them.

I'm hoping that Bronco or AFV Club release a set of 25-pounder shells, cartridges and the two types of boxes the came in.

Good luck getting the finish to your satisfaction.

Cheers

You guys made me feel like I could do no wrong, I proved YOU WRONG :rotf

Is this better:
002-43.jpg

001-47.jpg

Be Honest ya hear
Tony lee

Shalom Tony.

The very most important thing is that you like it.

I think the dark colour is much improved. The slightly lighter areas right near the edges now look like the paint has worn there.

It would have been quite interesting to see a real vehicle in this type of camouflageas it actually appeared after extensive desert use. Images from the war aren't big enough or taken from close enough to sho all the subtle nuances of the paint coverage. We can only hope to approximate the actual finish. That being said, I think any weathering/dust coat that you apply will improve your finish to the point where the slight difference in the dark colour will no longer be noticeable.

It is looking really great in my opinion.

Cheers

You guys made me feel like I could do no wrong, I proved YOU WRONG :rotf

Be Honest ya hear
Tony lee

How did you prove us wrong? Looks much better. And the fact there is modulation is pretty spot on (by accident or design). Looking great Tony. Really liking this (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks Tank, I like them only if it looks right and it's a SPG. :dance

How did I prove you guys wrong James? By always bragging on me as I build something. I tried to brush paint Tamiya paint using a lacquer thinner and I knew better but thinking I could get away with it.

W R O N G :blush:

This morning I gave it a clear sealer coat for safety sake then filled in the Black. For the faded paint I over sprayed that with Nato Black so I guess you would say it was by design.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I may be old but young enough to learn from my mistakes.
Tony lee

Hey Tony, Future is my friend and yours too.

Is there suppose to be something wrong ? I can't see it. :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Back