• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Danish Recon Draken (1/48 Hasegawa)

helios

For @Rhino since he sounded intrigued. :D

Building for a Nordic build. I've always liked the late cold war SAABs...especially the Viggens. Wanted a simpler build that I can hopefully get done in about a week...so that ruled out the Viggens. The single color finish of the Dane ticked the expedited box. Nice thing with this kit is it comes w/ various bits for 3 different versions...so we'll be storing the extras for another build down the road.

Kit + a few dress up goodies.

Last week I did a little fettling around w/ the resin cockpit to get it fitted to the fuselage. Though no real work started until Thanksgiving.

This weekend was pretty busy, and good headway was made. Not really wanting to deal w/ people after working 60 hours a week for the past 6-7 weeks helps. :D

Tanks built up (only the big bags will be used). Cockpit mostly painted and installed. Still need to do the IP & seat...which just have to be done at some point prior to installing the canopy.

It has gone together well. Mostly built up and standing on it's own legs. I did have to readjust the angle later on as I didn't have the MLG splayed out enough. This became apparent when I went to test fit the belly tanks and they didn't fit between the gear. :lol:

Going to need a bit of filler/clean up around the undersides of the intakes...but they fit pretty well around the top & sides which is going to be the most visible part so I'll take that.

I always have liked the rakish, I can kill you even as a model, look to them. Actually, Klingons do consider this kit a weapon!

Here's a Viggen that isn't a masking nightmare!
1638233994252.png

Regards,

Some airplanes look awkward on the ground. The Draken looks swift and deadly, even sitting still. The Gripen is a little like that too. Still doing the pitcher-snapper? Tuck a Standard or a Shrike under the wing for the odd Sov radar you may lop off along the way?
So many cool paint jobs to choose from! Neet-O!

I screwed up & trimmed the wrong parts (instructions weren't very clear). Fortunately Maestro Models offers the bits I need to correct my blunder and as a side bonus are actually more accurate for a Danish airframe. Will probably order a couple more Danish specific bits while I'm at it. So this one will be going to the sideline for a week or 2 whilst waiting for parts.

Danish made parts for a Danish jet? This makes perfect sense. I haven't had enough coffee to make a Hamlet pun yet.
:good:

Got it primed last night. I ended up having to give it a wet sand today though as I was trying to get the last little bit out of the can which ended up being a bit under-pressured despite warming it up. End result was a slightly rough surface. A couple minutes after I was done spraying I found the new can I bought 2-3 weeks ago when this one was starting to get low...then promptly forgot all about. I was hoping to get it in paint today, but unfortunately the weather has turned crappy again with rain (not a big deal) and a lot of wind (the real problem). Unfortunately the side of the house I have all my spray equipment set up on is the side that is usually subjected to wind, which unfortunately renders my exhaust system useless.

We've got color!
:thumbsup:

Turned out a bit darker than I was hoping. Should've gone w/ a slightly lighter base coat (used NATO Black). Wanted to experiment before I get to the EJ Kai, don't know that I'll go with that dark of a base coat again. Still, doesn't look too bad. It'll do.

Back