• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Damaging rubber tyred tank wheels

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Hello Everyone,
I have put together a little article on how I deteriorate a rubber road wheel for a German tank. This would probably suit other vehicles I suppose but I have not looked for the effect on allied vehicles. :unsure:
I hope this helps those of you who are looking for a way to do this effect or just wish to dabble in the darker side of modelling :evil:
For those of you who know my style, it usually involves some kind of wear and tear above and beyond the OOTB model. I can't help myself as I love to dabble in damage. This can be achieved simply and to good effect with German rubber road wheels such as on MK2, 3 and 4 chassis tank variants. The rubber deteriorates under the stress of long Km's, rocky terrain and especially dry desert conditions as the photos below show.
wheeldamage3.jpg

wheeldamage1.jpg

wheeldamage2.jpg

You can clearly see the detioration to the edge and centre depending on the wear factor. How much you want to do depends on the state of your vehicle and how far you want to go.
Tools.
I use a dremmel, scapel, micro chisel, pair of really sharp cutters and smooth sandpaper.
IMG_9207.jpg

HERE ARE SOME WHEELS IN PROGRESS THAT I WILL EXPLAIN THE EFFECTS ON, AS PER THE TOOL USED. PLEASE READ ON IF I HAVE CAUGHT YOUR INTEREST.

All photos are taken in Super Macro mode so please take into account that your results will not look like this to the naked eye as the camera is acting as a magnifier- in other words, it looks a hell of a lot pretty in normal eye scale.....

IMG_9173.jpg
IMG_9177.jpg

ROUND DREMMEL HEAD

IMG_9197.jpg

I use this to start the deterioration of the edge of the tyre. Dont press to hard and run the drill on about 65-70% speed. It doesn't have to be all the way around either. I recommend doing this under a good large magnifier.
Also, don't wear any 2 tyres the same as they wear independantly and are replaced at different times.
It is also good to apply general smooth wear to the flat contact surface of the tyre, where the day-to-day travel and grind with rocks and stones leave their mark.

IMG_9199.jpg
IMG_9201.jpg

LONG TOOTHED DREMMEL HEAD
IMG_9209.jpg

I then continue with a sharper longer dremmel on the same speed setting to create the delaminating edge you see occurring in the photos above. Again, I recommend a magnifier.

IMG_9211.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

Scapel

IMG_9198.jpg

I use this to make small nicks on the edges and flat contact surface. These are only small and can sometimes be the only damage applied.This can also be used to scrub away slight sections to the top ofthe tyre surface- just be gentle though.

MICRO CHISEL

IMG_9206.jpg

This is used to get that severe, broken, long flat chunks that sometimes just explode offafter heavy use on very rocky terrain. I carefully make a starting 'nick' with the scalpel at a horizontal angle then push into that with the Micro chisle until I have the desired length then stop. I then cut in vertically at the thick end again with the scalpel but only a little. Then I jam the chisel in upto the end of the cut and push up. Kind of like trying to make a splinter in a piece of wood though this version looks better if it is the width of the tyre. This is probably the most difficult effect.

REALLY SHARP CUTTERS

IMG_9200.jpg

I say really sharp because if they are blunt they will flatten the plastic too much when you make the cut. Justpick a spot and dig in butbe careful not to make a full ct and don't cut the wheel where it is not rubber (ie. the rim)

IMG_9202.jpg

Once the cut is made carefully liftthe excess plastic with the cutters........

IMG_9203.jpg

REMOVE to leave a sharp ragged edge...........

IMG_9204.jpg

Then clean-up slightly with a file based around what you want.

I hope this has been interesting and informative.

Ian.

Interesting techniques, Ian. This kind of deterioration was caused by just the contact of the rubber part with the tracks? or may be caused by rocks on the terrain too?

DArío

Thanks Ian.

That is a great SBS on how to do this. And some stuff that I had never thought of trying myself. And also some great refrence pics. (y) .

Gary B)

Dario Risso wrote:
This kind of deterioration was caused by just the contact of the rubber part with the tracks? or may be caused by rocks on the terrain too?

DArío

Hi Dario.
This type of damage is almost always caused by rocks of various sizes getting in the track and then being run over by the wheels.

:) Thank you for your posts and interest, I hope I have hepled you with some techniques for weathering. I also just moved the pics of the smooth round headed dremmel damage to the top of the tyre up to the first section where it should have been. I hope it helps.

Dario, just as Gary has said. The tyres could get quite severly damaged from stony, rocky ground. Check out Panzerwrecks as they have some great shots that you probably hadn't noticed until you know to look.

Ian.

Thank you Ian, if it's OK with you I'll put this content in an article for the main page, really good stuff!

Great stuff Ian,

Good for future reference and thanks for posting something new in the masterclass section, now if only some others would!

Bob

Iron Mike wrote:
Extra good, Ian! How did I miss this???

:laugh: You skimmer you, Mike.
No problem......you found it eventually.

Just thinking about what you have said and the masterclass posts in general i never quite know what people want to really know from me in particular. There are a lot of great modellers heare at TNT so a masterclass is probably more about particular effects and styles that a modeller users rather than just general stuff.
......maybe it might be a good idea just to ask the general question.

:) HELLO TNT'ers IS THERE ANY THING IN PARTICULAR THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE AS A MASTERCLASS TOPIC FROM ME?
BROKENEAGLE

Obviously this only works if someone follows to the end of this thread. :unsure:

Ian.

Let's look over what we have and don't have. I see all sorts of paint techniques but I don't see any rusting and or burn techniques. Since you're working on a beat up subject, maybe something along those lines...course we'd take anything you'd like to offer ol' great one!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

see, someone's paying attention to the bottom of the list...

I would like to throw my hat in with Moon Puppy, rusting and fire damage is something I know very little about.

Tom

Back