• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA1: J-35 Draken (Update 4/8/2015)

Re: CTA Entry: Adam Baker 1/48 Saab J-35 Draken

Yeah the flat coat will tone down the silver nicely - waiting for the paint and finish on this one

Redrum! Redrum!

Nope, thats not it!!

Da Plane! Da Plane!

Nope, not it either!

Red Plane! Red Plane!

Draken046_zpsfc23f436.jpg

Finally got the red down this morning. Model Master Insignia Red. Its far from perfect. Still working on my airbrushing technique to get rid of spitting, and I guess I need to spend some time really cleaning my paint booth b/c I ended up w/ a fair amount of garbage in the paint, but overall I'm happy w/ it. Now to let the paint dry for a few hours to see if I need anymore, and then let it sit for a week in the dehydrator while I'm in California. I still have a little bit of painting left to do once the red is dry. The nose and intakes both have to be masked off and painted black, so that will be done next week.

Looks beautiful even all red. Nicely done. I really cant wait to see this all marked up and sitting on her own legs. (y) (y) (y)
James

Keep that tip clean when spraying, that'll cut down the spattering. :popcorn

Yea, that was the problem. I have the habit of cutting air w/o cutting paint flow. So in doing so, it would leave a small amount of paint on the end of the needle. So when I was painting today, I made sure to cut paint first and then the air, and then when making the next stroke, I'd start w/ the air before moving the brush and then give it paint as I approached the model. It worked pretty good when I remembered to do it, but there were a few times I forgot and it would spit. But it was progress, its not as bad as I've had before.

Maybe thats one of my problems. Will have to try and do that next paint session.
James

i'm not sure i'm even coordinated enough to practice that. I just keep a paper towel with a small amount of thinner to clean the tip ever so often, do a little blow back also to keep things flowing.

Its not much, but I was able to get the intakes & the nose painted this morning. Working now on painting the bang seat so that I can glue it in, and then I'm going to glue the canopy on before I future everything so I can start decaling. Decided to go w/ a closed cockpit on this one. If I get lucky, I might be able to start decaling as early as tonight, but more likely going to be tomorrow after work.

Draken047_zps4e50ca05.jpg

Well, dont know if this one is gonna make the deadline. It started fighting me pretty bad last night, and now I have some stuff I have to redo, and a few other things. Never got to the clear coat last night, and probably wont happen tonight either. It could still happen, but its going to be an 11th hour finish if it happens.

Yea, especially w/ this one.

As I've progressed, I've realized I've made a lot of errors w/ how I built the model. There were several steps that I should have done differently that would have made this whole project a lot easier. At the time I was doing things, I didn't think I was rushing through them, but looking back I've realized I've rushed pretty much everything, and doing so has caused several errors, and made coming down to the finish a lot more difficult than it would have been if I'd don't things differently.

Well, dont know if this one is gonna make the deadline. It started fighting me pretty bad last night, and now I have some stuff I have to redo, and a few other things. Never got to the clear coat last night, and probably wont happen tonight either. It could still happen, but its going to be an 11th hour finish if it happens.

I've been known to take a day off work to bring in a build on time...just saying. :popcorn

Haha, yea. I've actually thought about it. I almost took today off from work to give me another day to rest from my trip to CA, but decided to come in. Might take a "mental health day" to work on the build, haha.

I've been known to take a day off work to bring in a build on time...just saying. :popcorn

Well, still hoping to have this done in time, but I'm not holding out much hope. I was hoping to work on my build tonight, but I have painting to do, and there's some really bad storms blowing through tonight, and since I don't want to flood my model room, I'm leaving the window closed.

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow to build, so I may try getting up early in the morning to do some painting in an effort to get more time in. Gotta spray both the red base color, and the black on the nose & intakes. Let that dry then put down the future. I don't need much of the base color or the black, so hopefully would dry fairly quickly in the dehydrator, and then future it and let it dry for a few hours, so its still possible.

Back