• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA1: J-35 Draken (Update 4/8/2015)

Adam Baker

[strike][/strike]Finally starting my entry!!

Hasegawa 1/48 Saab J-35 Draken. Included w/ the model is a sheet of TwoBobs "Red Dragons" decals and TwoMikes resin intake covers, and a FineMolds Pitot & AOA probe set. Other than those 2 items, it will be built OOB. The really nice part is that the scheme was a special scheme put on an aircraft just prior to decommissioning of the squadron that it was part of, so I wont have to do much weathering, which makes me very happy, as thats something that scares the crap out of me, haha.

Ok, the model:

DSC02045.jpg

And then the time stamp

Draken001.jpg

Draken002.jpg

I'm off work for the next 10 days and except for not being home the majority of Christmas day, I should be around every day, so Im hoping to make some serious progress on this before I go back to work on January 2nd.

Re: CTA Entry: Adam Baker 1/48 Saab J-35 Draken

Took a few more pictures as I was looking through what was in the box.

Sprues w/ the clock

Draken004.jpg

These are the TwoMikes resin intake covers. Covers themselves look good, but the casting of the grab handles looks a little iffy. May replace the handles w/ some bent wire. Just depends on how bad they all are.

Draken005.jpg

Draken006.jpg

The TwoBobs decal sheet. I'm going to be doing the Red 11 scheme.

Draken008.jpg

Draken007.jpg

Draken009.jpg

And something I missed on first inspection, that found once I started looking through everything. A set of metal (brass?) Pitot & AOA tubes.

Draken010.jpg

Draken011.jpg

Nice! The Dragon is such a beautiful aircraft too.

Regards,

Thanks Saul.

This a/c definitely has a very distinctive look to it, that's for sure. I've thought about building one for a long time, but just haven't ever quite been interested enough to actually pull the trigger, but once I won it, I knew it would get built pretty quickly.

:mpup yes a swedish aircraft!! and you choosed a very nice paint scheme (y)

Here is another nice paintjob for a last flight with the Draken from the Austrian Airforce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBrK2S9oml8&playnext=1&list=PL066361499BD41F7C&feature=results_video

:popcorn

//Mats

Wow, thats a very striking scheme too Mats! I love the yellow on black look like that.

Fantastic looking bird. Really like the red scheme.
James

Thanks!

Had to take a few days break from this one. Had a part go MIA the other night, and was just so frustrated that I just didnt want to deal w/ it. Tonight or tomorrow I'll pull it back out and see if I can fashion the missing piece out of sheet styrene.

A little bit of progress to show on this.

Like I mentioned earlier, I had a part go MIA the other night while working on the wings, and I got so frustrated, that the model had to be packed away for a few days, to prevent premature flight into the wall.

I got both wings and the vertical stabilizer glued together, and the vert stab glued to the upper fuselage. On the wings, there's a small winglet thats glued to the end of the wing, and its one of these that disappeared on me. I'm going to attempt to fashion my own, but I dont know how well its going to go. It tapers to almost half its thickness at its thinnest point, and w/ all the contours and shape, I just dont know how its going to come out, but I figure I have to try.

The pics. Just showing everything I've got so far.

Draken012.jpg

And this shows the wings. The wing on the left has the little winglet and the one on the right is the one that is missing.

Draken013.jpg

I'm hoping to finally get my paint booth up & running tomorrow evening, so I can finally start putting some paint down. I have to get the cockpit painted so that I can join the upper & lower fuselage halves, and I'd really like to progress past that point, so my goal is to get the cockpit painted tomorrow so that I can do the little bit of detail painting needed, then hopefully Monday I can join the two halves.

Always nice to see a Draken!!
:popcorn (y) (y)

the red really suits the Draken :woohoo:

Incredible aircraft when you think that was flying in 1955 ! Great to see one being built here :)

Not much to update tonight, other than to post up that I found the piece I lost for the wing. And then I lost it again, and then I found it again, haha. So I quickly glued it on to the wing, so I no longer have to worry about loosing it, haha.

I got my paint booth hooked up tonight, so hopefully tomorrow will be my first chance to paint since moving into our apartment.

Nice start. The Drakkens got such lovely lines. What a beaut.
James

Finally some more progress. Definitely behind where I was hoping to be at this point. Only got a couple weeks to finish this, since I'll loose a week at the end of the month. Going to Los Angeles for a week so I only have 3 weeks to finish instead of almost 4.

Anyway, got paint down on the cockpit early this week, and then the parts sat in my dehydrator for several days since it takes forever for enamels to dry. Last night I pulled them out and started painting the areas that needed to be black, and then this evening I went through and dry brushed the areas I wanted highlighted. Used Model Master Light Grey. I almost used white, but decided on the grey so that it wouldnt be quite as stark a contrast. After seeing the results, I like how it came out, but I kinda wish that I'd gone w/ a slightly darker grey to reduce the contrast even more, but Im not worried about it.

After letting the pieces dry for a couple of hours, I took the huge step (for me, haha) and glued the cockpit into the fuselage, and then glued the 2 fuselage halves together. I'll let it dry overnight, and then at some point tomorrow I'll start cleaning up the seams and the areas where I got sloppy, including the spot that I created a finger print in the plastic when I stuck my finger in the puddle of glue I didnt realize was there.

Now the pic's.

Cockpit painting

Draken014_zps6b03dccd.jpg

Draken017_zps38587303.jpg

And the fuselage together

Draken018_zps0d969655.jpg

I'm hoping that maybe by Sunday evening I might be far enough along to put down the first layer of primer, but I'm not holding my breath, and I'm definitely not going to rush things. I have to get the fuselage all cleaned up then put the wings & engine housing on before I can do primer, so there's still a long way to go before I get to that. It could happen, but we'll see.

Back