• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Crown Achievement in 1/144

Mcleod

My philosophy; Have many on the bench to prevent disinterest in one.

The Crown P-47 Thunderbolt kit.

h1a4e200.JPG

A time stamp:

h1679b16.JPG

Kit parts:

h76fa278.JPG

Color scheme = NMF

h381db15.JPG

Instructions are in the box - literally:

hebc7c0b.JPG

I figure I can delay some other builds slightly and rip through this pretty quick. Then again, this is my first Crown kit. :D

A 3 BLADED PROP!? :blink I guess it is the "running" version then? :D

Back in the day, I'm sure Crown standardized a 3-blade prop for all their kits. There was likely a few modellers who felt suckered by the box art and included scheme profile, compared to what was in the box.

Luckily, I was gifted some proper Platz decals and repairable 4-blade from their P-47 kit.

I was able to get going this evening, on the Crown T-bolt.
Some parts were glued together, and it looked ok from above:

h555767e.JPG

There were huge gaps, though, and it came with that odd depression on the lower fuselage:

haa2c611.JPG

So I started filling with styrene and blister-pack cuttings, and put in a brass deadman into the depression to anchor some milliput.

hbc7ec33.JPG

An Underneath view:

h8df2c7d.JPG

A blob of milliput was pressed into the depression:

h490cf1f.JPG

And thus ended my session. Waiting 24hrs for the milliput to cure before I sand to shape. Then it's filling the rest of her with putty and Mr Surfacer. :D

Remember that big, ugly dip damage that was so obvious on the bottom of this tiny model.
I fixed it up, somewhat acceptably:

h4c200ab.JPG

h2686e96.JPG

Primed:

ha8a0711.JPG

Thought I'd try the pen trick shown to me by another modeller. It's mostly an experiment:

h678a9b3.JPG

A little bit of yellow; a little bit of Alclad airframe aluminum:

h9723a0c.JPG

hf798e76.JPG

:D

Thanks fellas.

I actually thought I'd get more paint peeling and problems when I removed the mask than I did. Frankly, I'm quite happy with the way the invasion stripes turned out:

h49d5d29.JPG

h4ad50cd.JPG

Going to wait a day, then wipe her down and touch it up. :D

Back