• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

COMPLETED - La Meridiana Lipan Apache Warrior wearing War-Medicine headdress

Paul,
I am using mostly Reaper paints for the skin tones and have tried Scale 75 paints for the clothing items. The Scale 75 paints seem to be working nice.

Are you going to Soonercon this weekend? I am not sure if I will be going or not, but if I do, I hope to have this guy done for the show.

Cheers,
James
not going to make Soonercon but I'll have yo be at our show in Bixby in August. You need to make that for sure.

Gorgeous work James. Really interesting to see how deep your shadows are and then how everything blends into such a nice looking face. Very cool.
James

Gorgeous work James. Really interesting to see how deep your shadows are and then how everything blends into such a nice looking face. Very cool.
James
Thanks, James.

There are some painters out there who are way better and blend their skin tones more effectively than I do, but the style I use works best for Museum settings where the Native American busts are destined to go. When doing anything in miniature for museum exhibits you have to plan for the type of lighting the gallery will have, the distance that the object will be viewed from, and positioning, so with those things in mind I wanted to go with more contrast so the character of the face can be seen at viewing distance.

Last night I worked on the bead work on the war medicine head dress. That was pretty tedious and made my eyes hurt :) But I think it was well worth the time and effort. I am sure there are other people who could make it look better or more convincing, but I am happy with how it turned out. Now I will work on the vest and bandoleer before tackling the feathers for the head dress.

20200610_150226.jpg20200610_150320.jpg20200610_150416.jpg20200610_150451.jpg20200610_150516.jpg20200610_150542.jpg

Dang man. I was going to say something to you about the deep shadow in the cleft below the nose but what you're saying makes perfect sense. :notworthy

I was thinking the deep shadow in the cleft below the nose was a bit dark even for the high contrast that I need to project for the exhibit. Since I am not the only one thinking that, I probably should lighten it up just a little bit.

I completed the bust last night. The pin striping was a bit tedious, but I think it turned out well. I have some more in-progress photos, but I hadn't downloaded them yet onto my computer, but these of the completed bust. I think he turned out fairly well.

20200613_073047.jpg20200613_073131.jpg20200613_073214.jpg20200613_073254.jpg20200613_073339.jpg20200613_073408.jpg20200613_073956.jpg20200613_074022.jpg20200613_074051.jpg20200613_074304.jpg20200613_074334.jpg20200613_074416.jpg20200613_074441.jpg

I learned several new techniques through trial and error during this project that I will use on figures and busts in the future.

Thanks for looking.

Take care and have a great weekend.
Cheers,
James

That turned out really well, James. What scale was this. What interested me was how you got the catch light in the eyes. I have been watching Rafael Robledo on You Tube and he uses a tiny bit of 5 minute epoxy tinted with just a tinge of purple to make them really pop. I cant wait to get started on a couple of figures and busts that I have but I am waiting on a shipment of Daler Rowney inks to arrive. By the way, How did you do yesterday at Soonercon?

That turned out really well, James. What scale was this. What interested me was how you got the catch light in the eyes. I have been watching Rafael Robledo on You Tube and he uses a tiny bit of 5 minute epoxy tinted with just a tinge of purple to make them really pop. I cant wait to get started on a couple of figures and busts that I have but I am waiting on a shipment of Daler Rowney inks to arrive. By the way, How did you do yesterday at Soonercon?

Thanks, Paul.

The bust is 200mm. The method I used for the eyes was to use Reaper Tanned Highlight for the eyeball, then I mixed a brown color for the iris. Once that dried I added the pupil with flat black. A speck of white was used to created the "sparkle". I used Vallejo Satin Varnish to make the eyeball shiny. I will have to take a look at those videos you mentioned. Rafael Robledo's techniques sounds interesting.

I look forward to seeing your figure and bust work soon.

I ended up not going to Soonercon. There were a few reasons. The first and foremost one is that my wife is in the high risk category in regards to COVID-19 and she preferred that I not go so as not to bring anything back home that might make her sick. She's been to a Soonercon before, so she knows it is one of the smaller shows I attend, but to make her feel better about it, I did not go. Another reason what that I didn't finish the bust until sometime around 0230 or so Saturday morning. I hadn't filled out any of the registration forms and I was tired AF after staying up all night to get the bust completed and after not sleeping much the previous several nights. I had to go into the office on Saturday anyway to log onto my military computer so I wouldn't get locked out since I am still teleworking. Perhaps next year. Also, the Tulsa Show is coming up and if it is not the same weekend as the 15 year anniversary of one of the unit's I deployed with first tour in Iraq, then I will be there.

Cheers,
James

Thanks, Paul.

The bust is 200mm. The method I used for the eyes was to use Reaper Tanned Highlight for the eyeball, then I mixed a brown color for the iris. Once that dried I added the pupil with flat black. A speck of white was used to created the "sparkle". I used Vallejo Satin Varnish to make the eyeball shiny. I will have to take a look at those videos you mentioned. Rafael Robledo's techniques sounds interesting.

I look forward to seeing your figure and bust work soon.

I ended up not going to Soonercon. There were a few reasons. The first and foremost one is that my wife is in the high risk category in regards to COVID-19 and she preferred that I not go so as not to bring anything back home that might make her sick. She's been to a Soonercon before, so she knows it is one of the smaller shows I attend, but to make her feel better about it, I did not go. Another reason what that I didn't finish the bust until sometime around 0230 or so Saturday morning. I hadn't filled out any of the registration forms and I was tired AF after staying up all night to get the bust completed and after not sleeping much the previous several nights. I had to go into the office on Saturday anyway to log onto my military computer so I wouldn't get locked out since I am still teleworking. Perhaps next year. Also, the Tulsa Show is coming up and if it is not the same weekend as the 15 year anniversary of one of the unit's I deployed with first tour in Iraq, then I will be there.

Cheers,
James
Well see how it looks on the 13 of Aug. As for Soonercon I didn't go either. I heard that the only ones there that did any good were the vendors.

Back