• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Club build of 1963 Corvette

Viper_MP

Hey gang,

I've been MIA for a while, but finally got a chance to get back on and post some of the stuff I've been working on. More to come later.

For this post, I share with you the results of our local model club build. The IPMS Hawkeye Modelers found ourselves with a surplus of make-n-take kits that weren't being used. We like to do group builds about once a year, and the club decided after the last disaster [an AmTech bi-plane that we could modify HOWEVER we wanted...yeah....only 2 every got finished. The rest of use are still "working on it" and "going to finish it"] that we would limit the scope of the build.

The rules:
Club members had roughly 2 months to complete the build.
The kit could not be physically modified in any way. IE - no aftermarket, scratchbuilt, parts swap, etc.
Decals COULD be substituted, but "bonus points" for using the kit stickers.
Anyone not completing their kit...had to pay $2 to the club treasury.

The kit...Revell 1/25 SNAP TITE 1963 Split Window Corvette. The purpose of the build was paintwork. Out of 10 participants, we had 8 finished entries and 1 finished body.

On to the pics...
The group pic.
h0606b33.JPG

Ok...So, for those who know our club, here are the members:

BACK ROW:
Kevin Iutzeler, Nick Miranda, Ed Sarnecki, Doug Sturtz, Ed Buckley

FRONT ROW:
Kent Kirkpatrick, John Maxwell, Mark Johnson, Rob Folden [me, Viper]

A couple things to mention. Kevin masked out the flame job. Kent blacked out most of it, while painting all of the chrome in pale gold. John went for the primer/bondo look. Mark just decided to go wild and test some ideas he had.

And myself, I modeled mine after pictures of a barn find I found online here: Barn Find. Hence the "rust look". It's actually the primer.

I decided to try out the hair-spray method again [only my second try]. I started with a base of red primer color, with some variations. Then gave it a solid coat of Matt Lacquer. I didn't have any aerosol hair-spray this time, only pump. So...I airbrushed it on. Two coats later, I had to pick a color. I was going for Azure Aqua Metallic. It's a factory color, and I believe its the original color of the barn find. Well, I wanted to stick with acrylics [for the weathering technique], so I mixed Gunze Sangyo Metallic light Blue with Gunze gloss white. I got the Turquoise color. It has a slight shine, and slight metallic. I liked it. Still learning the weathering, so I ran it under luke warm water and used a stiff brush to start weathering it. It took off a bit more than I wanted in some areas, yet others, like the roof, I scrubbed and only got what you see. The model was then "dusted" with Vallejo light mud, thinned about 30/70 with water. The same color was used on the windows. I dusted only the top, flat surfaces. The chrome wheels were flat coated with lacquer, then got a grey wash of The Detailer. The rest of the chrome was stripped and redone with Alclad Chrome. The trim also received Alclad. once assembled, the chrome was dirtied up a bit with weathering powder, focusing on the horizontal areas. The interior was painted factory stock...black. And detailed out, before getting weathering powder in all of the corners, creases, crevices, and well...just about everywhere. Last up, I opted to dry-brush the raised logos, and used the stickers for the gas cap and hood vents only. Both were trimmed and flat coated first. I have to say, for my first weathered car, I'm quite pleased. And since I couldn't modify the kit, I have a second '63 Vette [convertible] that I pulled out of the stash and it will get the same treatment, along with more details like missing bumpers, with the mounting holes drilled out [see the barn find pics].

hda60072.JPG

Oh yeah, I should also note....while we had 2 months to get it done [9/8-11/3]....I completely forgot about it until Halloween! :) So I started mine Saturday morning, 11/1, and finished it Sunday morning, 11/2. Because...why spend two months to build a model, when it's so much more fun to build it last minute.

I'll try to get some better pics later on. Right now, they are all in the display case at the hobby shop.

Oh man...I road in one when I was a kid, split rear window and all. Beautiful car! Love the bondo and your's Rob. Sweet rides all around.

So what are you working on now?

Back