• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Chrome removal

centaur567

Is there an easier way to remove chrome from plastic without having to buy easy off? Does 409 work? Thanks' Gary S.

Not sure if 409 would work. Probably minimal at best. I always would spray the parts in the sink (with Easy Off) then walk away for 5 or 10 minutes, come back and spray it all down with water and rinse it off.

Yeah, Easy Off stinks and irritates but it does the job.

Actually, any cleaner with bleach works, like Comet With Bleach. I use Westley's Bleche White whitewall tire cleaner, a little lasts for years and I soak resin parts in it to remove the mold release in addition to removing chrome. Castrol Super Clean is also in my garage and strips chrome in a hurry. I keep an old wide mouth pickle jar LABELED with what's inside on the paint bench. :drinks

So a little Clorox in water will work to clean all the parts well. I will have to remember that when I start my resin kits. Thanks for that info Mike!

I've started using this stuff. Takes most chrome off in minutes. ICM brass plating not some much. It does soften old enamel paint but will not remove it.

IMG_0362.JPG

Sherm nailed it. Originally it was called Castrol Super Clean and used as an engine degreaser.

It might only be called Super Clean, or Purple Clean depending on your area, but you can get it at any auto parts store or possible Home Depot or Walmart if your area has it. The stuff is technically non-toxic, biodegradeable, no fumes etc, but you need to use gloves because it'll suck the moisture out of your hands in seconds in a very uncomfortable way. For stubborn old paint, it may take overnight or longer, but doesn't harm plastic and you can reuse it over and over again. I've left full models in in for weeks on end with no issues.

It's amazing. I've been using to strip 50 year old enamel off of old Aurora kits to restore, but also used in to take chrome off some auto bumpers, etc.

For chrome it works in minutes, you just fill a jar, drop 'em in, go back a short while later pull out squeaky clean white styrene, pour it back into the jug.

The stuff truly lives up to the hype.

Thanks for the info. I have a degreaser called Amazing Stuff. I'm going to try that to see if it works as well. Gary S.

Back