• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BROKENEAGLE'S PAINTINGS - update 23rd Oct'23- a new sci-fi painting idea.

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
:) Hello M A'ers,
This post will be a little different from the usual model stuff.
As a few of you are already aware, I like to paint and this is the most enjoyable aspect of modeling for me (I do enjoy building though so don't get the wrong idea).
I usually try to paint 1-2 landscapes a year, in between my models and my other hobbies (read too many)and recently have had the feeling for giving a military subject ago - still a landscape but with a WW2 subject.
I have a couple of ideas in mind, one being a U-Boat, the other the final scene in Europe - the Reichstag.
I went out and bought a really BIG canvas and decided to start on my Xmas Holidays. I paint with artists oils as I do with my models, however I have never tried a military painting before, so no guarantees on this one. I thought it might be fun to update a blog with my progress on this painting as it is a WW2 subject and for those who don't know how to go about a painting you may find the transformation from blank canvas to finished result quite different - especially as they look pretty crappy until the final touch is added (as with models) - it's all about layers.
[sub]I will place my disclaimer here as I do not know if this will work and could very well take 12 months to finish this.[/sub]
So here goes.......................

Step 1

Ruff sketch of the subject.
new-12.jpg

With my landscapes I usually begin with a ruff sketch that I then use to make my painting a little easier, but not always. This one is a little different from my past paintings, because of the subject and the size I need to pencil in a fair bit and use a ruler to get some straight lines. I am referencing a black and white picture of the Reichstag from one of my military books and scaling up using a few methods so as I get the scale spot on. With a geometric shape as a building, tank or plane you cannot guess as the people who appreciate these subjects immediately see the error in perspective, shape or detail. I use a number of tools such as a drawn grid over the original and scaled up,some areas transferred via lead imaging from tracing paper and free hand depending on the complexity.
Here you can see my basic lines and shadow marking - buildings are a lot easier than planes.
My usual landscapes are drawn totally free hand but these never involve a recognizable shape with straight edges.

As you can see the far right hand side has my first attempt at a Mk4. I scaled it incorrectly and had to rub it out. The paint will go over this anyway but I will have to add my second version over these lines - a bit 'messy' initially. I want the main subject vehicle to appear bigger in the foreground with the building as the backdrop.
Models are great subjects for reference and I will be taking photos of my Mk4 H model at the right angle with various lighting to use as my main reference. I can then apply a grid to it on my computer and scale that grid up to suit my canvas.
I have built my Mk7c uboat for the same purpose and will use this as the basis for a painting and diorama.
See you at the next stage.

Ian.

Last edited:
Re: REICHSTAG PAINTING - THE END IN BERLIN

Wow, we will be witnessing an artist!

Regards,

:) Thanks for your interest MP, Sharkmouth, James and Dusan.
This won't be very exciting at first so please bear with me.
I added the dirty base color for the sky and next will begin adding the various colors over the top.
mod.jpg

First off this is very very cool (y) (y) (y) (y)
Second off, could you show your palette? That would make the perfect shade for pants for a figureI'm painting, but I'm not sure the mix ratio. Thanks in advance.
James

Hi James,
the ratio's are equal parts for the Burnt Umber , Raw umber and then you add the desired amount of Titanium white depending on how light you want it to look. The white can be toned down with a sand as well if you are looking for a smoother effect.
Again start the light color off small and keep adding to the 2 other colors until you achieve the desired shade.
Or alternatively start with the light additive in a larger amount and add the colors if you are wanting a very light shade to start with.

Ian.

Hey Ian,

Any updates on this one yet? It seems like such a cool idea. I can't wait to see some progress on this one!

Bob

Come on Ian cough up on this, just because the Storm got the NRL Grand Final theres no need to go quite, besides my Swans got the bigger prize! :fencing

Adrian from NSW

Hello everyone,
sorry to disappoint but there has been no progress on this as I have had no motivation or time.

Work is taking-up nearly every bit of time and what little is left goes into my fitness and family.

I haven't given up on this though, just having a break for a while.

Ian.

:(
Sorry to disappoint the Reichstag followers but this is not an update for that.

I have nearly completed a Me109 B&W oils - First of a set (Brokeneagles)that I am going to do for my display room. Simple sketch style with oils.

me1092_zps2eaf133a.jpg

Also thinking of making some prints for sale from the set if anyone is interested?

Sure would be cool! Any word on Karl? :D (y)

That looks really nice. Something so intriguing about crashed planes.

Back