• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bradleys in the field

cb1

I'd like to share some photos I took while in active duty as a Bradley crewman. I was a driver for 2 years and a gunner for 1 year before I got out.

I have two sets of photos to share, the first set is of a vehicle that I received new from the factory in 1985. IT literally had zero hours on the meter when we started it up. The second set is of a older vehicle that I signed for when I went to Germany. From what I remember, this vehicle was already 2 years old when I got there in1986. What I am showing is how the vehicles fared during multiple field exercises.

The First set shows the new vehicles at delivery through the desert training in Ft Irwin CA. My unit was attached to an armor battalion who had a commander who loved the field. We deployed every other week for the whole year I was at Ft Hood. So these vehicles were constantly in use. Not to mention dirty and washed a lot.

During the three weeks in the Cali desert I lost the rubber off the rear-most two sets of road wheels twice. The track pads were pretty much gone and the paint on the inner surface of the road wheels was worn off.

On to the pics!! Ft Hood and the new vehicles..

a brand new M3 Bradley

BrandnewM3Bradley.jpg

BrandnewM3Bradley1.jpg

First ride in our brand new M2s, note the tape on the smoke grenade launchers and periscopes

BrandnewM2Feb859.jpg

BrandnewM2Feb858.jpg

BrandnewM2Feb853.jpg

on the move

m2periscope1.jpg

M2inperiscope.jpg

The guy climbing on top is the Bradley instructor.

m2periscope2.jpg

Swimming the vehicles

SwimmingTheBradley19856.jpg

SwimmingTheBradley1985.jpg

in the field

InTheField198514.jpg

InTheField198527.jpg

at the wash rack

TheWashRack198515.jpg

Other vehicles -

OPCactusJack8519.jpg

OPCactusJack854.jpg

OPCactusJack853.jpg

in the rain

M1inrain1985.jpg

M1inrain19851.jpg

after being towed in by a M88 (transmission failure)

InTheMotorPool19859.jpg

These are from Germany

AreaMuda3.jpg

WinterWarrior198611a.jpg

WinterWarrior198631-1.jpg

AreaMuda4.jpg

Graff198610_zps4c5a9171.jpg

Graff198615_zpsdf336dfb.jpg

WinterWarrior198665_zps49fb9f74.jpg

Graff19861_zpscac1e21e.png

in the CA desert, I only have one photo, I didn't take my camera with me.

NTCJulyAugust198520_zpsbaf5f879.jpg

What I'm trying to show is that I didn't see rust, I didn't see chipping, I saw paint worn off from rubbing brush and equipment. Tracks never rusted on active vehicles. And in Germany we painted our vehicles once a year because of the NBC properties in the paint.

Fresh paint in 1986

Freshpaint.jpg

And more

InTheMotorPool4.jpg

InTheMotorPool5.jpg

InTheMotorPool7.jpg

InTheMotorPool19855.jpg

Some white wash fading...
WinterWarrior198627.jpg

WinterWarrior198625.jpg

WinterWarrior198624.jpg

WinterWarrior198621.jpg

WinterWarrior198620.jpg

I hope this helps with weathering and details.

Chris

Thanks for sharing these awesome pics,Chris! (y)

Think the whitewash camo scheme blends in perfectly with the snow covered wooded area.

Greetings,Ron.

The down side to doing that white wash well was cleaning it off. it took forever and we used about a thousand green scrubby pads.
In some of the motorpool shots above you can see the remains of the whitewash outline.

The cleaning of the whitewash on the non-slip surface was the worst part of it. :blink

Back