• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Border Models 1/32 Lancaster B.I/III

You really have a good point Paddy. It always takes me a while to build a kit these days. The last two MMM events I built some 1/72 planes from the stash and it took a full month on each. The bigger projects have run to the point where they go way longer.

Once my house gets all fixed back up and things can be put away or weeded out, my plan for this cold season is to finish my latest bigger builds. (well one of them at least)

I suspect that it might not be "quite" that much in the long run. I will wait until Andy's or Sprue Brothers has it listed.

I mean, I did buy the 1/48 B-36 from HPH and finally the Titanic from Free Time. Neither of those was inexpensive either.
$599.99 at Andy's. I cant afford one of these even though I so want one. I mean thats around $800 or 900 Cdn and then a bunch for shipping and customs.. Will have to enjoy watching someone else build it.
https://andyshhq.com/collections/pr...-avro-lancaster-b-mk-i-iii-with-full-interior

A lot of you guys here can do a kit of that expense justice too...so it's not like it money "going to waste". Hope you guys can get one.

SWMBO would finish what the heart attack began if I bought a $600 kit. She nearly had a conniption when I bought the adjustable height tables (until I showed her she too could use such fine things). Maybe is I sold every other kit and moved to Outer Mongolia? Nah...

I am certain it will be a fine kit... but then there are the little extras that just must be purchased... resin, PE, decals, references... a couple of trips to the UK to do research...

I am certain it will be a fine kit... but then there are the little extras that just must be purchased... resin, PE, decals, references... a couple of trips to the UK to do research...

Why 'must be'? This looks like it is detailed enough that one can do an outstanding job just building what's in the box! I'll never understand this fixation that "requires" everyone to purchase additional aftermarket stuff to build a model. If one counts up the cost of all that aftermarket they purchased; they'd be able to see how many more kits they could have bought instead! Or how much closer they were to buying this one if they'd just saved it instead of buying all those extras!

One more reason I love building exclusively in my small scale without worrying about all the extra details....:tomato:

OY! $900 just for the kit? Dang! Then you have the paint to buy and the extra room to build to build the kit!

OY! $900 just for the kit? Dang! Then you have the paint to buy and the extra room to build to build the kit!
Andy's Hobbies shows a price of $600. No idea why the $300 more, that's a big difference.

Last edited:
MegaHobby? Mega Price?

I can understand a difference due to (overhead etc, but $300 is rather outrageous.

I think it poses a lot of questions, Do you want the finished item and do you have the space? Once you get to 1/32 the basic kit never has the level of detail that should be visible so you get a compromise. Building a detailed Merlin would be fun, building 4 would be hard work.
90% of the interior detail will never be seen.
In my view this is a display model for a museum, an officers mess or an exhibition so it does have a place but its not really aimed at the "man in the street".

Note that Wingnut Wings had plans to sell the nose section as a separate product. not for me simply because the only shark mouths were on all four engine nacelles!

Lancaster.jpg
lancaster11.jpg

Perhaps Border Models will consider it as well.

Regards,

I think it poses a lot of questions, Do you want the finished item and do you have the space? Once you get to 1/32 the basic kit never has the level of detail that should be visible so you get a compromise. Building a detailed Merlin would be fun, building 4 would be hard work.
90% of the interior detail will never be seen.
In my view this is a display model for a museum, an officers mess or an exhibition so it does have a place but its not really aimed at the "man in the street".
No, just a man with his own house and no "War Department" to make him miserable.

I dont have a "war dept."....... or a house come to that but if they make a Lanc in 1/12 i could move in to that i suppose. :cool:

They will have it on sale for $700 so saving you $200. See I use to be in retail!

I knew a guy that has about 30 old Italian motorcycles that he couldn't sell. They ranged from £1500 to £5000 in price and in the end he had a "sale"
He knocked about £10 off each and advertised it as a clearance sale a sold half of them on a single Saturday morning. People love a sale :)

People love a sale :)

Truth. It's the only reason I've accumulated a stash. It'd probably be cheaper to just buy as I'm ready to build...but I have a hard time walking past something I know I want to do one day at a good discount. Ah well, I'm not spending money I need to pay the bills or savings doing it. I call it "my retirement plan"...buy them now while the money is easier to come by, before I'm on a fixed income down the road. :lol:

Back