• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Blah

Don't feel bad John, I have not really been able to touch a model since last March. Been working on my house, garage, and emptying out an old storage building. Everything has been moving along and am making progress at a seemingly snails pace. Once the storage is empty, most everything else will be in a much better place and my model building should finally pick up pace.
Worked on my stash last night and did some rearranging. All my WNW kits are now in one place and am working on the closets to make things much more organized and accessible.

Yes, I'm BACK ! I've been on a bit of a sabbatical from kit building for almost two years now. I decided after my illness in early 2021 that since I was rapidly approaching the 3/4 of a century mark that I needed to make some significant progress on my outdoor model train layout if I ever had any chance of getting to a near completion point. (Model railroaders will tell you that layouts are never finished) While I haven't been kit building I have been doing a lot of scratch building, mostly structures in 1/24 scale as well as a lot of earth work, and upgrading parts of the layout which are now over 20 years old. Being outdoors the infrastructure is subjected to the same elements as a real railroad and nothing lasts forever. I did start two kits in early 2021 and if I can find all the parts, hope to finish them in the near future. I suspect I've missed a lot of great modeling here and since I have not been keeping up it will take a while for me to check it all out. I will post some of what I've been doing soon, I realize trains are typically not the focus here but modeling is modeling.

I don't know if this will help, but I will share it anyway.
In my lengthy childhood, there have been several more accomplished, older modelers that have inspired me. A few are still alive, even!
I visit those guys and talk about anything. Going up to Chuck Sterns grave often helps. I stand quietly (ME?!) and listen for Chuck's kind laughter at my discomfiture. Just like he used to do. He knows I always try to think about too many things at once.
Then it's back to whatever esoteric, odd-ball project I was ''stuck" on.
I'm saving a Meng War-toons Matilda tank kit for the next lack of model mojo. Doing something less precise or less serious (silly) sometimes pulls the wheel chocks away.

I'm glad to see both of you posting again, even if it's to say you haven't been building. I too, am kinda struggling with a mojo issue. I am all eager to build and paint but when I look at what I have in progress, nothing appeals. So I look for something new to start and ....nothing appeals. So, I go through my extensive and scattered parts collection and try to sort and condense it down in an effort to get something already in progress focused by my desire to build.

Just keep coming back guys!

Hey John, great to see you back. :vgood:
At the risk of just giving you stuff you have already heard.......I have been there plenty mate.
I had a block for 2 and half years and broke it by finally looking at my books and reference library, letting the possibilities flow. Works everytime but I would add that a break like you have had can be quite beneficial for your modelling in the long run.

Mojo? What is this Mojo you speak of?

I too have had a huge blockage of completion (there are 7 on the shelf of shame). After partially clearing the stash I need to clean everything up and decide what is next. Argh... I hate decisions! I'll be 70 sometime this year and need. to get at least 3 kits finished. No new kits until at least 3 are done. (said no modeler ever)

Mr. Mojo has left the building - going on a YEAR!
John I went close to five years without being able to pick up and use a paintbrush, I tried a few times but it just wouldn’t happen. I just couldn’t get into it at all, no matter how much I wanted to.

Then one day a few months ago it all came back to me and I’m back into it just like before. Hopefully your break won’t take five years, but if it does, so be it. Don’t sweat it, stop by every now and then to poke around and who knows when it will hit you.

Great to hear from you either way.

Fiber? I take Water Pills, pills for depression, diabetes, scurvy, gout, blood pressure, my heart, my back, and things that used to go bump in the night. :ph: I don't need no stinking' Fiber!!! I eat dreaded wheat.:drool:

Fiber? I take Water Pills, pills for depression, diabetes, scurvy, gout, blood pressure, my heart, my back, and things that used to go bump in the night. :ph: I don't need no stinking' Fiber!!! I eat dreaded wheat.:drool:
I'm adding Zinc to the line up now, everyone around town is sick. Another benefit of working from home full time!

John,
you might not have the mojo but your work apparently still does as you’re in the February issue of MMI

5E68300C-977C-4365-A8B0-BAA55F9F46C8.jpeg
ECEC02FA-19E8-4DEB-8ABB-45A94596EB9A.jpeg

Back