• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bismarck - Doing the Sea

tumblr_m78747T3Yk1r4d22do1_400.gif

Still watching ,keep it up .

Bit of an update since it has been a while since I have done anything on this piece of work.

31st of the last month of a year that I am sure many of us would rather forget. On top of everything going on with this stupid virus, I had to pursue something I had started in 2017 in my professional life. This took a tremendous amount of time and frustration, failures and challenges along the way, but I got what I wanted in early December.
For the Bismarck, the water is laughing at me. That stupid thing simply refuses to obey my wishes ...which means I have to keep trying. More Celluclay went on the base and more has to go in. I just keep looking at it, I know I have to make it look infinitely better and more realistic, it's simply, well, refusing to go the right way, no matter how long I keep swearing at it.
On the bright side, since we are approaching the end of this strange thing called 2021, I wish you all here a very Happy New Year 2022, stay safe and healthy my fellow modelers, all the best from the land down under.

Cheers !!!
Laurence

Bit of an update since it has been a while since I have done anything on this piece of work.

31st of the last month of a year that I am sure many of us would rather forget. On top of everything going on with this stupid virus, I had to pursue something I had started in 2017 in my professional life. This took a tremendous amount of time and frustration, failures and challenges along the way, but I got what I wanted in early December.
For the Bismarck, the water is laughing at me. That stupid thing simply refuses to obey my wishes ...which means I have to keep trying. More Celluclay went on the base and more has to go in. I just keep looking at it, I know I have to make it look infinitely better and more realistic, it's simply, well, refusing to go the right way, no matter how long I keep swearing at it.
On the bright side, since we are approaching the end of this strange thing called 2021, I wish you all here a very Happy New Year 2022, stay safe and healthy my fellow modelers, all the best from the land down under.

Cheers !!!
Laurence
Hi Laurence,

Great to see you posting again!

What you are saying here tells me one thing. Persistence is the single thing in my lifetime of modeling that has made 100% of the improvements in my skills. Many of the models and dioramas I am most proud of were a result of trial and error. It is difficult to screw up a model to the extent it can't be corrected and improved. I doubt it's just me, but, when I am ready to pitch a build into the trash, I start over and, amazingly, many of those turn out to be my best work. Persistence and determination! They'll pull you through every time!

I can't wait to see Bismark in the water. Your U-Boat was spectacular and the Bismarck will be much better. Hang in there Buddy!

Bob

Lawrence, I'm glad to see you still kicking and persisting. Yeah, 2021 was tough but still a bit better than 2020! Take your time on Bismarck, you'll get there. Maybe you could consider a different medium for the water instead of Celluclay, just a thought.

Your work is well worth waiting for, take care of priorities first.

If I may add my 2 cents, you have to decide how much is enough for your model. The ship herself is a marvelous build! While almost all of us look on thinking "Holly Molly! that's awesome!" Try looking at your sea as a whole instead of picking out the minutia of such a grand bit of ocean. You may find your "stopping point" is easily attainable. Kenny's Gator Glue or a similar clear-curing acrylic adhesive shaped by a small spatula and a paint brush, is dandy for making small waves.

Now, bear in mind NONE of the ocean bases I attempt are anywhere near as big or complex as yours. The Samurai Bathtub base looks silly, because that was the intention all along. "Silly" is EASY! Perfection takes a little longer!

Grab a Foster's or two, stand back a bit and look at your ocean and try not to over-think it. The job you've done so far is amazing!

Happy New Year! I wish good will to our friends Down Unda and moderation for your gubmint!

Hi Laurence,

Great to see you posting again!

What you are saying here tells me one thing. Persistence is the single thing in my lifetime of modeling that has made 100% of the improvements in my skills. Many of the models and dioramas I am most proud of were a result of trial and error. It is difficult to screw up a model to the extent it can't be corrected and improved. I doubt it's just me, but, when I am ready to pitch a build into the trash, I start over and, amazingly, many of those turn out to be my best work. Persistence and determination! They'll pull you through every time!

I can't wait to see Bismark in the water. Your U-Boat was spectacular and the Bismarck will be much better. Hang in there Buddy!

Bob
Thanks for that Bob, appreciate it. Trial and error this has been, and it's far from over. Starting over is something I did for the U-boat as well - that water was horrible the first time I did it, then it improved a lot. Everyone here liked it and I am really proud of that. Can't get any higher praise than from folks on MA.

Cheers,

Laurence

Lawrence, I'm glad to see you still kicking and persisting. Yeah, 2021 was tough but still a bit better than 2020! Take your time on Bismarck, you'll get there. Maybe you could consider a different medium for the water instead of Celluclay, just a thought.

Your work is well worth waiting for, take care of priorities first.
Cheers Mark, I am taking my time indeed. Well, I think I found a way forward, but more about that in a bit.

If I may add my 2 cents, you have to decide how much is enough for your model. The ship herself is a marvelous build! While almost all of us look on thinking "Holly Molly! that's awesome!" Try looking at your sea as a whole instead of picking out the minutia of such a grand bit of ocean. You may find your "stopping point" is easily attainable. Kenny's Gator Glue or a similar clear-curing acrylic adhesive shaped by a small spatula and a paint brush, is dandy for making small waves.

Now, bear in mind NONE of the ocean bases I attempt are anywhere near as big or complex as yours. The Samurai Bathtub base looks silly, because that was the intention all along. "Silly" is EASY! Perfection takes a little longer!

Grab a Foster's or two, stand back a bit and look at your ocean and try not to over-think it. The job you've done so far is amazing!

Happy New Year! I wish good will to our friends Down Unda and moderation for your gubmint!

Those are very kind words, means a lot to hear such praise, so thank you :notworthynotworthy.

The thing about Foster's though ... you won't find it at the store here, believe it or not, it's not that popular. Many other very nice alternatives though. I think I tried it once at the Formula 1 GP in Melbourne few years back as they were big sponsors at the time, other than that, haven't seen it anywhere else.

Laurence

keep it up mate, its looking good and the hard work will all pay-off.:good::popcorn
Fantastic effort and build. I can't wait to see the final result!
Thanks mate, this means a lot. I can't wait to finish it, I started this back in 2017, lots of things have happened since then, but still ...

Laurence

Right, update time ... I think I may have found a way forward, it's called white air drying clay. The problem with the Celluclay is that it never ends up being as smooth as I want it. I am trying this one. Air drying clay is very easy and forgiving, costs a lot less and I can find it at a store nearby. So far so good.

For the not so good part, it shrinks significantly. This means, if you are not careful, there will be big cracks and it won't stick to whatever you want to attach it to. After looking at many videos I could find, I got some nice tips and I started the process. The original base remains, it will be covered with thin layers of white clay - 2 mm thick if that. I am using a bit of white glue and, with a moist finger, I am pressing the edges down to the base and it sticks nicely. The effects (water undulations aka waves and all) are either due to the celluclay, or by moving the white clay using a spatula to create them.

The shrinkage is not new, Celluclay shrinks too, but this is trickier I think. I heard that too much at a time (thickness or covered areas) will warp the base. This happened to me with the Celluclay on the U-boat and I won't let it happen now. This means small patches at a time. This is what it looks like, after 8 or 9 patches.

IMG_2305a.JPG

This goes close to the bow of the ship. Cracks can be seen, they are very thin and I will fix them later. Bit more clay will do the trick.

IMG_2306a.JPG

Same, from the side. Once laid, I make sure it is roughly how I want it, then, after an hour or two, I make adjustments. It is semi-dry, very easy to work with. Once fully dry, it's rock solid.

Well, I hope I am on the right track. The ship will go in shortly, then the real work begins, modeling the water around the ship and the effects created by the ship moving at full speed.

Cheers,

Laurence

I think you're on to something there! I learned about Foster's from Monty Python's University of Wullamalloo Phycology department skit. When I was a beer drinker, I had me a few pints. You have to be a MAN to drink much Foster's! :drunks: :drink

Looking good, Laurence! If you're using air dry clay like DAS, covering it with a damp cloth reduces cracking and helps with adhesion. :vgood:
Thanks Mike,
It is exactly like DAS, only a different brand, Mont Martre. DAS at a hobby shop is 4 x the price. Crazy.

Laurence

Back