• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Best Putty?

nerdling

So I went to use some of my Squadron white putty the other day and I guess the heat from this summer has basically dried it completely out. I'm just wondering what everybody uses. Is there anything better than Squadron?

Plastic auto body filler in the medium sized tube, the red stuff. Tamiya is good too.

Of the two (Squadron/Tamiya). I seem to use the Tamiya more often than not for quick fills.
If I have the time (read patience) I'll use Milliput especially on big deep gaps or multiple fills.
:drinks

Bondo glazing & spot putty works great and is very inexpensive, a tube of that stuff lasts a VERY long time so its good value for the money. It dries quickly and feathers out much better than the Squadron putty, it does not shrink too much either as long as you don't put it on too thick. If you need to fill a big gap put the putty on in layers instead of one thick coat otherwise you might get a ghost seam show up much later on.

For most seams I use super glue as a filler and save the Bondo red putty for hard to reach areas.

Matrixone

For most simple seams and small gaps I use Mr. Surfacer 500. That stuff sands so smooth and feathers out extremely well. For really large gaps and such, I use sheet styrene and gap-filling CA glue.

I replaced my squadron putty with Tamiya putty and I'm much happier but I also use CA glue and Mr. Surfacer 500 in certain applications.

I use the MMD Squadron green putty and I thin it with Tamiya thin liquid cement although that is mainly for little gaps like gaps in figures limbs etc etc

Bigger gaps I use Aves epoxy sculpt

Back