• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ben's build - STAP & Battle Droid ** FINISHED **

Ben's first build - STAP with Battle Droid

Ben has allowed me to finish the main painting so as this is written the STAP is pretty much done, just the 'metallic' bits on the articulated mechanism and the gun barrels to do. Roger needs his last coat of Tamiya 'Deck Tan' (XF55). After that it's down to washes and 'Old Skool' dry-brushing and paint chips/battle damage.

Should be all done by this time next week.

:geek

Ian & Ben.

very cool Ian and Ben!

I wish they had had more screen time with these STAPs! They're neat little vehicles!

Take your time Ben & Ian ...... Rome wasn't built in a Day ..... :eek:ldguy

Bit of progress from Friday:

h9e59b45.JPG

hd5bd46a.JPG

As mentioned earlier, some random 'clouds' of Hull Red, then NATO Brown on the upper and frontal areas. Have to say we're very, very pleased with the results.

Ian & Ben.

Because the kids here in Kiwi break-up from school on Thursday for Autumn/Fall/Easter holiday/vacation/recess, I'm 'getting busy' with this project whilst my little buddy is in class. I'm hoping I can get it finished for him to take in for 'show & tell' on Thursday morning.

Accordingly, 'Roger' is now painted, dry-brushed and 'chipped'. As this is written he's drying after a (brush) coat of Johnsons Klear/Future.

Tomorrow morning it's oil wash and tomorrow evening final (satin) varnish... If I'm short on time, that's OK, but I really would like Ben to take-it-in on the last day...

Ian & Ben.

Because the kids here in Kiwi break-up from school on Thursday for Autumn/Fall/Easter holiday/vacation/recess, I'm 'getting busy' with this project whilst my little buddy is in class. I'm hoping I can get it finished for him to take in for 'show & tell' on Thursday morning.

Accordingly, 'Roger' is now painted, dry-brushed and 'chipped'. As this is written he's drying after a (brush) coat of Johnsons Klear/Future.

Tomorrow morning it's oil wash and tomorrow evening final (satin) varnish... If I'm short on time, that's OK, but I really would like Ben to take-it-in on the last day...

Ian & Ben.

Awesome!! (y) (y)

ALL STOP: :facepalm

All was going well until I just tried to 'mount' Roger onto the platform. His feet are turned slightly outward, the 'pedals' are parallel with the fore/aft centreline.

Just found a 'build article' from 2013 on another site, the builder had the same issue at the same point. Nothing for it, but to remove the pedals, sand the paint off around location point and re-glue them slightly canted outward to match the feet.

Some considerable repainting/matching and bad language will now be necessary !!

:java

Ian & Ben.

ALL STOP: :facepalm

All was going well until I just tried to 'mount' Roger onto the platform. His feet are turned slightly outward, the 'pedals' are parallel with the fore/aft centreline.

Just found a 'build article' from 2013 on another site, the builder had the same issue at the same point. Nothing for it, but to remove the pedals, sand the paint off around location point and re-glue them slightly canted outward to match the feet.

Some considerable repainting/matching and bad language will now be necessary !!

:java

Ian & Ben.

http://foulomatic.hnldesign.nl/
Great site for new and creative profanity. Notice it's a NL website, Netherlands. :drinks

Well yesterday was a trial.

Following the 'ALL STOP', we drilled-out from below the platform/wing the locating pins for the pedals, then carefully persuaded them off. That done we had to sand down and flatten the area where they'd been mounted.

h0f79932.JPG

h992493a.JPG

The reason we had such a lot of sanding to do, was we'd used CA glue to attach the 'delicate' parts the first time around. Ben was really upset at this point because he was certain we'd never get it 'right' again. You can see what we had to do, just re-attach the pedals canted outward a few degrees to match the feet.

After dinner when the pedals were firmly set, we cyano'd Roger's awkward feet to the pedals and then slid the wing in to place. We also cyano'd his hands to the handlebar, angled a few degrees inward

hd3b2ac0.JPG

hbc9fe07.JPG

Then we walked away for a while and played Star Wars Battlefront II before Ben had to get ready for bed. It would be Dads' job to get the arms on, later !!

:frantic

Ian & Ben.

Back