• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ben's build - STAP & Battle Droid ** FINISHED **

ij001

So here we go, not my first-ever sci-fi project but the last time I did one it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... see what I did there ?? :blush:

Mentioned before my little buddy, is currently progressing from superheroes and Disney cars to Lego & Star Wars. With that in-mind, I was strolling through eBay a few weeks back and couldn't comprehend the prices folks were asking for old Airfix/MPC Snowspeeders and X-Wings. But, I did find the AMT STAP/Battle Droid for just £10.00 GBP.

Since it arrived, Ben has been very impatient to start, and so with the Skyhawk out of the way, we started yesterday morning...

hb2da030.JPG

...yep, we were at the bench (with Frau's blessing) at 0845 !!. Wasn't too easy and 'daddy' did get a little frustrated from time-to-time, but after a couple of hours, just before I had to go on-watch we'd arrived here:

hca9fcbd.jpg

Head & neck done, arms done but not attached, back-pack done and hips, upper & lower legs done. All just pushed or taped together for the (quick) photo. Today I'll finish the filling'n sanding whilst Ben is at school, and we'll hopefully finish the torso when he (runs) home.

Have to say, I had no idea just how big this 'Roger' is going to be when he's done. He's enormous !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VIN9kf2bso

More soon.

Ian & Ben

Ben's first build - STAP with Battle Droid

Hey Ben! Don't let the old man get out of line, we got your back up bud. :ro: Good progress already. (y)

at a boy Ben ..... You to Ian .... good luck and good building ...... :soldier :eek:ldguy

So last night we finished building 'Roger'. He needed a few scrapes of 'Green Stuff' especially on his feet, but nothing too demanding. We're going to start the STAP this evening.

h050c539.JPG

hf56b3e4.JPG

AFN

Ian & Ben.

...'bout 30cms, going to look great on his STAP, later.

:geek

Ian & Ben.

...and we're ready for paint:

h5b53ef7.JPG

hd275387.JPG

I asked Ben last week if it would be OK to keep building the STAP, he made me promise that he could do the guns and the engines, if I did all the 'other stuff'. To be honest the parts are so big and so few, that we had it all done within 30mins !!

As this is written, I've shot a coat of Tamiya acrylic grey primer on 'Roger' and the STAP, I'll start pre-shading tomorrow, hopefully.

AFN

Ian & Ben

Paint happening:

h684ccc6.JPG

Lousy 'phone photo' but you get the idea. Roger has been pre-shaded with simple Tamiya black & white. Took a while to do since he's completely disjointed and his legs, torso, neck and head keep flopping about like Pinnochio with his strings cut !!

ha32be4d.JPG

When I did get him to sit still for a few minutes, I lightly assaulted him with Tamiya Khaki (XF49). Next he'll get a coat of Buff (XF57).

The STAP was given the same pre-shading treatment, then followed-up with a light random coat of Flat Brown (XF10), the same dark reddish brown I've used on the MiG 23. Looks a bit 'messy' just now, but I'll follow this up with random light coats of Hull Red (XF9) and NATO Brown (XF68).

h6530b8f.JPG

h6b770ee.JPG

h9d76060.JPG

hf638d57.JPG

h95dd444.JPG

Hopefully I can get some more done this evening, Ben is getting impatient, and I'm really enjoying the whole process - such a relaxing change-of-pace, so just now, I'm riding a huge wave of enthusiasm for this build.

Stay tuned.

Ian & Ben.

Looking very Good ..... Ben's doing an excellent job ..... congrats Ian & Ben ...... keep up the great work .... very nice painting ..... :popcorn

Nice up date. Good job Ben! Looking outstanding! (y)

Can't wait to see it done.

Back