• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Been gone awhile.

nerdling

Well life got in the way for a few months. I've not been doing much building for the past three months. I was hired at a cabinet shop back in March. I quit working there at the end of April due to it being an extremely hostile work environment. So I've been helping out my Dad with his construction business out of town. Told myself I'd not work away from home again any time soon lol. Then we have been in the process of moving back to the Portland area. Finally finished that up last weekend. I'm also working my way through the hiring process for the TSA. Right now I'm just ready to hit the bench again :gogo

Well life got in the way for a few months. I've not been doing much building for the past three months. I was hired at a cabinet shop back in March. I quit working there at the end of April due to it being an extremely hostile work environment. So I've been helping out my Dad with his construction business out of town. Told myself I'd not work away from home again any time soon lol. Then we have been in the process of moving back to the Portland area. Finally finished that up last weekend. I'm also working my way through the hiring process for the TSA. Right now I'm just ready to hit the bench again :gogo

From what I have learned about the TSA over the last several years, I didn't get the feeling that it would be something other than a hostile work environment :idonno

Has something changed ?

Wondering ? Cheers, Christian B)

Glad to see ya Ryan, just roll with the punches with the TSA. How's your bench time looking now?

Oh I can deal with hostility from customers. Especially when it comes with high pay and full benefits. But the cabinet shop was completely different. It was very low pay and having a boss that would refer to you in the most horrible way.

Yes very good to have you back I'd lost my Net for about 2 months so I'm just getting caught up with my stuff ... I caught My nemesis so now I'm not afraid to go into the Hobby Room ... Still missing some pieces though .... :woohoo: (y) :woohoo:

Ryan,
Glad you posted again but I am sad you are leaving C.O.

I was born in Portland and have many good memories of the place but would not want to try and live there now... housing is getting more and more difficult to find in the Portland area and the problem is said to be worse than Bend/Redmond.

Matrixone

Welcome back Ryan! We did miss ya! Those hack jobs are not worth the sweat. Have been lucky for the most part in my life with good places to work, but have had a couple that were really bad. I didn't last at thme long and they went poof sometime after, and they well deserved to.

Hope Portland does well for you!

Oh I can deal with hostility from customers. Especially when it comes with high pay and full benefits. But the cabinet shop was completely different. It was very low pay and having a boss that would refer to you in the most horrible way.

What a shame . We have a cabinet shop here and it think this guy is probably exemplary in both his work and the people they employ . You know you can't keep good help if you don't show respect for your employees .

Something must have changed with TSA then as I don't remember the words good pay when my father in law was applying for a job some years back. The hours sounded dreadful as well.

Cheers, Christian B)

Life does have a funny way of interfering doesnt it. Hope all gets better soon and this chapter is just a memory.
JAmes

Ryan,

I was born in Portland and have many good memories of the place but would not want to try and live there now... housing is getting more and more difficult to find in the Portland area and the problem is said to be worse than Bend/Redmond.

Matrixone

Thanks Les. My wife was born there also and wanted to be closer to her family. Housing won't be an issue for us for at least awhile. Sarah's grandmother passed away back in January and her house has been sitting vacant since then. Her family wanted somebody to move in and watch the place so it worked out great for us. Kind of an interesting setup up in a way though. Her grandmother never through anything away. So daily I keep finding stashes of old papers and stuff from the war. So far I found her pay stubs, id badge, and other documents from when she was a welder at the Kaiser shipyard working on Liberty ships. Also found her grandfathers navy uniform, medals, a whole mess of Japanese currency, photo album from the time, as well as a cool looking tribal knife from the Philippines.

I basically just have to help clean up the house and work on the yard and stuff.

What a shame . We have a cabinet shop here and it think this guy is probably exemplary in both his work and the people they employ . You know you can't keep good help if you don't show respect for your employees .

Something must have changed with TSA then as I don't remember the words good pay when my father in law was applying for a job some years back. The hours sounded dreadful as well.

Cheers, Christian B)

Yeah from what I've read it seems they've increased the pay and benefits to help retain employees. I mean the pay might not be great starting out at 45,000 a year. But for me being dumb in my younger years and not going to college :bang head It's not bad to start with. Good thing with Government jobs is if you stick with it you are set for life.

Ryan,

Matrixone

Thanks Les. My wife was born there also and wanted to be closer to her family. Housing won't be an issue for us for at least awhile. Sarah's grandmother passed away back in January and her house has been sitting vacant since then. Her family wanted somebody to move in and watch the place so it worked out great for us. Kind of an interesting setup up in a way though. Her grandmother never through anything away. So daily I keep finding stashes of old papers and stuff from the war. So far I found her pay stubs, id badge, and other documents from when she was a welder at the Kaiser shipyard working on Liberty ships. Also found her grandfathers navy uniform, medals, a whole mess of Japanese currency, photo album from the time, as well as a cool looking tribal knife from the Philippines.

I basically just have to help clean up the house and work on the yard and stuff.

Hope it's some stuff you can share with us. Love those old photos. :popcorn

I'm going to try and start scanning them this weekend. Really neat to realize that these are pictures that have never been published before. There is one taken from a distance of a B-24 called the "Red Headed Woman" Also another of a aircraft wrecking yard. Most of the others are hula girls :rotf :drool Oh and a few drunken sailors :drunk

Well things are looking up now. I had an interview for a maintenance position at a Tree Nursery of all places. Interview was this morning. Just got a call offering me a position :yipee :yipee Means a pay raise for me as well as medical, dental, vision insurance as well as sick leave and vacation time. Retirement as well. They also have a tree farm in Northeastern Oregon that I would be doing maintenance on. But I wouldn't need to worry about driving there. They fly you there in their private plane :pilot This all means that after 6 months I won't be working away from home and living out of a bag. Also means way more bench time for me. :geek :geek :geek

Back