• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Automotive Clear Coat Help

Skinny_Mike

Hey all. During my end of year break, I've pulled down some things from the shelf of doom and tried to get some of it finished up. I am having a small problem with one of the builds however and I hope someone can help me out. I also posted this in the car building area.

I am spraying the Zero-Paints Pre-Thinned Lacquer Clear Coat and I am getting a layer of "dust" for lack of a better description, all over the finished body work. It is most prevalent on the edges and around details on the body.

Picture1_zpse46e9a25.jpg

IMG_4223_zpsa262855f.jpg

I have no idea what's causing this or how to stop it. I'm using my Iwata HP-C+ airbrush, an Iwata Compressor with regulator and moisture trap and am spraying at 30 psi.

Any help would be appreciated!
Mike

Hi Mike

I don't have much experience spraying clear lacquer, but my guess is
your pressure is too high and the clear is drying before it reaches
the surface. I usually spray between 15-20 PSI, or lower.

HTH,
Tom

I agree with Tom though i'm no expert. Dusting generally means it's drying on the way to the surface now what causes that I haven't a clue. Drop the pressure like Tom suggested, sounds like a good idea to me.

As with using any gloss paints try holding the airbrush a little closer to the surface of the model and spray wet on wet by overlapping the spray pattern. Start spraying front to back from the top of the car body and work your way down to the sides with heavy coats of paint always keeping the airbrush in motion or else you might get paint runs.
If possible try the above on a scrap model part or old unwanted model first.

Matrixone

Back