• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aussie M1A1 Abrams

Thank you for your words.

James,

Some minor mods on our Abrams are the fridge in the stowage basket and the reinforced umbrella holder inbetween the Loaders hatch and the commander's hatch and an electrical box on the rear of the turret for the power of the fridge.
The Meng kit is pretty spot on.They are the only differences.

Tankbuilder,

I have a LED torch on my desk , you may see it in 1 of the first photo's of the build in the background.Have found everything fallen on the tiles so far. It is amazing how far the parts travel when they bounce of tiles. :blink
Sometimes the workbench gets full of crap and I end in like a 300 x 300mm area to do the work. :pinch:

Michael

Umbrella, fridge...full traction on most any surface...sounds like it would be great for a day at to the beach! I bet they could rig up a grill somewhere on this thing.

:soldier

Stunning work Michael! Seeing your work on the travcks makers me glad I do only 1/72 scale! Speaking of which; I did an Aussie Abrams way back some years ago. Of course it is not the most accurate kit, but then again, I hadn't as many resources as I have now.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Duke.

I was the same when I wanted to scratch build an ASLAV many years ago with the lack of references. Now, with the explosion of the internet It is a treasure trove of information. Along with so many different brand of paints, detail sets and diorama accessories to a build the model.WE are so spolt. :cheer: :)

Bob,

They even have a non regulation gas bottle stored in a milk crate which sat in the outer stowage rack. Already for a quick grill up. :laugh:

Michael :drinks

Hello again,

Back with the next installment of work.
To show a certain amount of wear on the track pads a number 11 blade was used to trim away and mark the edge of the rubber pad.
Cc5hfCt.jpg

The stowage was test fitted on the turret to get the right look.

9Au1YKD.jpg

BFR7fPu.jpg

yooOei0.jpg

Stowage ready for priming
A0fWFoW.jpg

Primed
PspAYU4.jpg

Each Stowage piece was painted and a light acrylic wash was given to enhance the equipment on the turret.

nOi5Wgs.jpg

Sub assemblies ready for priming and painting.

UQWSY57.jpg

Michael

Thanks Guys

Sherman18

The Ammo primer is working well.
Note, it's just like the Video where it has to go on in layers.
The first pass may not cover the whole subject and a second pass over the subject with the primer coats it all.

Going from a Humbrol primer to an Acrylic primer was new beginnings for an old hand
Trying something different always helps.
It's like the filters and washers Hype. Take it on and be creative :good:

Michael :drinks

Hello again,

Here is a small update on the work which has transgressed over the last couple of weeks.

The Mig Ammo Primer applied.
nBc3vGN.jpg

Then the 3 tone camoflage which was time consuming and still not finished. Some minor touch ups to do.
5IxaXPd.jpg

9vPn9UU.jpg

The Bronco M1A1 Big foot track received a lot of attention.
Gunze metal was hand painted on the guide horns and end connectors.
Vallejo Tan was drybrushed on the track rubber to show the wear and tear.
lRPkgRy.jpg

The inside of the track was drybrushed in Vallejo black grey to show slight wear from the road wheels.
Nw7bk4U.jpg

Michael

Hello again,

Here is a small update on the work which has transgressed over the last couple of weeks.

The Mig Ammo Primer applied.
nBc3vGN.jpg

Then the 3 tone camoflage which was time consuming and still not finished. Some minor touch ups to do.
5IxaXPd.jpg

9vPn9UU.jpg

The Bronco M1A1 Big foot track received a lot of attention.
Gunze metal was hand painted on the guide horns and end connectors.
Vallejo Tan was drybrushed on the track rubber to show the wear and tear.
lRPkgRy.jpg

The inside of the track was drybrushed in Vallejo black grey to show slight wear from the road wheels.
Nw7bk4U.jpg

Michael

:soldier :dude

Back