• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another movie monster kit...

matrixone

I was sent this kit by a fellow modeler from another site and put this kit #1 on my build list after getting my Opel truck finished, its the old Aurora mold kit of the Mummy.
I barely remember building this kit before in the mid 1960's but don't remember it having the parts not matching up very well like this modern re-pop.
The gaps on the parts are not a problem, instead there is a nasty step on one side that needs to be carved down while the other side needs some filler, on most other models this would not be an issue but on the Mummy figure I want to keep the detail of the wrapping intact so the painted model will look right after the weathering is added.

The box top
406936463.jpg

Here is some of the work done on the seam lines...
406936461.jpg

Check out the molded in detail of the wrapping on the foot..and the nasty step that will require a lot of work to deal with. The entire Mummy body had seam lines just like this.
406936456.jpg

Matrixone

Damn, back in the day we really didnt worry too much about gaps! Cover the gaps with some real cloth strips- treat it like a model. I miss those old Aurora kits! :v

Thanks Kryptosdaddy and Moon Puppy!

I first built the original Aurora Mummy kit way back in the mid 1960's, back in those days seam lines were never an issue and sometimes my models were never even painted, its just as well they did not get much paint because I was almost too young to deal with hand brushing the enamel paints, my dad helped do a lot of the painting until I was a little older. :laugh:

For a long time I wanted to have another go at building the Aurora kit 'The Creature From The Black Lagoon' but if its anything like this Mummy kit I will forget about that notion.

Matrixone

Looking good. As for gaps and seam, well its just part of the adventure I think. If it was a modern kit I'd be very upset though.

James

Thanks James and Mike!

The seamlines on this kit would not be all that bad were it not for the step that needs to be carved down.

Painting this model should be fun though, instead of using oil washes to add depth to the wrappings I will be mostly using my airbrush with only a few select areas getting the oil washes. I found that by aiming my airbrush next to the models surface instead of directly at it I can get the paint to only hit the raised areas of the surface...almost like dry brushing except with using an airbrush.
The canvas top on my Opel Blitz truck was painted this way and I like how it brought out the molded in detail with almost no effort at all.
406862184.jpg

Matrixone

That's a pretty dang neat trick Les. Instead of direct spray pattern, you're catching like the outer edge of the spray cone so to speak. Nice! (y)

Yes, that's exactly what I did with the canvas top on the truck and will attempt to do the same with this Mummy kit. :)
On the last figure kit I built (Dracula) the skin tones and parts of the cape was painted this way.

Matrixone

Not much modeling has been done lately, the weather here went straight from winter temps and rainfall to a much warmer than usual summer all in a day's time and its just been too hot to do much work on the models the past week. I am not complaining at all since this dry weather allows me to get outside to clear a lot of the broken tree branches from the big storms from last winter.

The Mummy is now built and ready for paint...
407133330.jpg

Mummy2.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Moon Puppy and James!
I don't know when I might get around to finishing the Mummy, this freak hot weather keeps me outside for much of the day...its too nice to stay inside.
On the negative side of the unusual hot weather there have been a lot more drownings from people trying to escape the heat, also some farm animals have died.

Matrixone

Yeah its been brutal up here too. Our one cat was having a very tough time of it Tuesday. We ended up puting a freezer pack on her and she seemed to perk up a little.
James

The temps here were supposed to be on the decline but that did not happen in my county, its still hot with no breeze and its also humid too. I can't remember ever having this much warm weather this early in summer, maybe in late August we will get streak of sunny weather but usually not this warm...very strange. :idonno

Matrixone

Still bone dry here but the temps are now back down to where they should be so I have returned to the bench.

I decided to finish and paint the base first but I have given the Mummy a light coat of paint to check for defects around the seam lines.
407257916.jpg

The base has been given a coat of sand colored paint and black pre-shading has been sprayed on to help add some detail to the finished product.
407257917.jpg

AMummybase2.JPG

AMummybase3.JPG

Matrixone

Back