• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another movie monster kit...

Second that on the avatar. Base is going to look great with some washes and the rest of the painting. (y)

Thank you Mike!

The base may very well be more interesting than the figure itself, the Mummy will painted in dusty light gray tones with not much color at all.

Matrixone

After looking at the Mummy base I decided to hold off on spraying more of the sand colored paint to tone down the pre-shading, the base needed something else to make it more interesting looking so I used white paint and added highlights in a few selects areas including the name plate.
407269627.jpg

TheMummybase.JPG

The next step in painting the base will be covering up some of the pre-shading and highlights.

Matrixone

Thanks Mike!

The Mummy base has had a coat of sand colored paint sprayed over the pre-shading/highlights and it turned out okay but I won't spray on the coat of Future just yet...next time I have the airbrush out I think I will give the base a few more highlights with a lightened version of the sand colored paint in order to give the base a more dusty and sun bleached look to it.

407298739.jpg

Basecovered2.JPG

Basecovered3.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Moon Puppy! (y)

Both the Messerschmitts and this Mummy kit are going a bit slower than expected, I started a 1/32 scale He 162 kit recently and its been so much fun its hard to stop work on it! Pics of it will be posted soon.

Matrixone

I like this! Are you going to add a dark brown wash to the Hieroglyphics to bring them out? That would be cool!

And I agree about your avatar; man, what is that anyway?

Looking forward to seeing more....of the mummy that is.... (y)

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Duke,
Yes I will be using an oil wash on the base later on after all the airbrushing is done.

About my avatar, its a character from one of the best movies I have ever seen...''No Country For Old Men''. Watch this movie when you get a chance...then you will see why a simple coin toss can cost you everything. :blink Call it. ;)

Matrixone

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Duke,
Yes I will be using an oil wash on the base later on after all the airbrushing is done.

About my avatar, its a character from one of the best movies I have ever seen...''No Country For Old Men''. Watch this movie when you get a chance...then you will see why a simple coin toss can cost you everything. :blink Call it. ;)

Matrixone

I agree a great movie and now for that scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B_rRmkbA9I

Thanks for looking in on the build Sherman 18.

And thank you Ryan for posting that clip from the movie, some parts of the scenery from the movie sure remind me of eastern Oregon.

Matrixone

More painting done on the Mummy kit, I am nearly done with the base and have started painting the figure.

The base coat of pale tan/gray has been sprayed on and I have started with some medium gray pre-shading.
407554284.jpg

I held the model upside down and sprayed the medium gray on the face and hand at a VERY low angle so that the paint being sprayed was only hitting the raised areas, this gave the model a bit of a forced shadow effect when the model is viewed right side up. I like to think of this technique as using the airbrush to apply dry brushing instead of a paint brush. B)

h35688e6.JPG

The rest of the wrappings were pre-shading almost like you would do on an aircraft model.

hfc859a3.JPG

h0f8a10a.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks for looking Dave! :good:

The pre-shading on the wrappings is not quite finished but when it is, the base, Cobra, and Mummy will get a coat of Future and then some washes with oil paints.

Matrixone

Back