• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/72 Folland Gnat T.1

I have heard that the new Moulding Gnat is a very nice Kit. Looks like it is going together pretty well.....Cheers mark

I have just learned from a Hobby shop owner in the UK that Airfix kit manufacturing has been moved from China to India .
Their QC. seems very slack . Although their mold are better , what you get could be less than enjoyable, depending on your luck.

Cheers, Christian B)

She's in the 'paint booth'; I sprayed her with a coat of Alclad gloss black primer two days ago. Last night the primer was still a little tacky, at least in the place where I left my greasy finger print. :angry:

The problem areas for my build were the intakes, the canopy and the wing root. In regard to the canopy, it's a tad wide. And either I cracked it while I was handling/washing it or it was cracked for some other reason. After an application of Future, the crack was a lot less noticeable. Once the primer is good and hard I'll give her a polish in prep for the NMF.

Black & Decker is your friend...

Looking good. He's a tip from an old sign painter. When checking on how dry the paint is, use the knuckle on your finger. It doesn't leave a fingerprint.

I prefer Tamiya acrylic glossy black as a prep for Alclad simply because you can spray over it within 24hrs.

...and yes B&D can be very useful on occasion.

Ian.

She's in the 'paint booth'; I sprayed her with a coat of Alclad gloss black primer two days ago. Last night the primer was still a little tacky, at least in the place where I left my greasy finger print. :angry:

The problem areas for my build were the intakes, the canopy and the wing root. In regard to the canopy, it's a tad wide. And either I cracked it while I was handling/washing it or it was cracked for some other reason. After an application of Future, the crack was a lot less noticeable. Once the primer is good and hard I'll give her a polish in prep for the NMF.

Black & Decker is your friend...

I really think they had a bad batch of that black base. I had the exact same problem, bought another bottle and it dried overnight. My suggestion, pit it in a closet and forget about it for 3 months or strip it and go with Tamiya X1.

So I let it sit for four days then polished it and wiped it clean and promptly stripped a chunk of the primer off. :bang head

So I set it aside for the weekend and will mess with it again at the beginning of the week.

I would use acrylics...but I hate them with every fiber of my soul.

Acrylics were invented by Mephistopheles himself. :evil:
It's true, look it up if you don't believe me.

I can help you with Acrylics if you want. I have no desire to go back to Enamels since I've learned how to use them.

They are much more flexible in what you can do with paints.

Cheers, Christian B)

Here she is after sanding down the rough spots. It's primed again and sitting under cover until fully dry.

Gnat_zpsc5zwv5o4.jpg

I slathered some Alclad Duraluminum over her last night after she got a rub down with some 3000-12000 grit sanding sponges. I covered my bug and left it overnight to allow the lacquer to fully cure. Once I get a couple of panels done up in a different NMF shade or two I'll post some pictures.

Back