• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AFV Club M113 ACAV

Got the right side tracks built and installed so now both are on the vehicle. Because the suspension is a bit off-set the left side takes 61 track links and the right side takes 62. From the sides they seem to look good and have the proper track tension.

100_0441.JPG

100_0445.JPG

But when you look at them from the front, the set on the right side seem to be a bit slanted and canted outward at the bottom. I can push up against them and they straighten out, but won't stay that way. Perhaps when I attach the model to the groundwork it will straighten out since the pressure on the tracks will then be constant.

100_0442.JPG

100_0443.JPG

100_0444.JPG

I know I need to fix that, especially if I am going to enter it into a show because that would be something that would take points off.

From the rear, both sets are OK. Perhaps it is just the positioning of the drive sprocket.

100_0446.JPG

Now that the tracks are on, I will finish weathering and get the ramp put on, machine guns put together and installed, and add external stowage.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

It does look like the drive sprocket is cocked a bit, I it's not maybe you can counter cock it? :blink :blink :pinch:

Maybe run some sort of shim between the top run of the track and hull, under the sponson to push it out on the top.

OR....throw a flak jacket over it...

It's looking great! :soldier

Good catch on the tracks and drive sprockets. I'm certain it will be no problem for you.

This is looking more and more impressive with each update. I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

It does look like the drive sprocket is cocked a bit, I it's not maybe you can counter cock it? :blink :blink :pinch:

Maybe run some sort of shim between the top run of the track and hull, under the sponson to push it out on the top.

Unfortunately I glued the track to the road wheels so there is very little play in moving the tracks and drive sprocket. I tried using a shim, but the one I tried did not work because it hit up against the transmission case. I will try a couple more ways to shim it.

If that doesn't work, and the pressure from the ground work doesn't work, then I can hide it with some vegetation. (The cover it with a flak jacket trick only works on flat surfaces :) )

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
James

Unfortunately I glued the track to the road wheels so there is very little play in moving the tracks and drive sprocket. I tried using a shim, but the one I tried did not work because it hit up against the transmission case. I will try a couple more ways to shim it.

If that doesn't work, and the pressure from the ground work doesn't work, then I can hide it with some vegetation. (The cover it with a flak jacket trick only works on flat surfaces :) )

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
James

Or have the maintenance team look at it scratching their head? :soldier na, Judges wouldn't buy that. :popcorn

Got back from the Tulsa Figure Show which was a really good time and there were plenty of excellent works on display. I hadn't been posting construction updates lately since I was trying to get this model finished for the show. I had intended on including a figure of the gunner to hid the push pin mark on the inside of the gunners hatch, but having started painting the figure on Thursday night, I just was not able to get him completed in time. Oh, well! I'll get him done this week in time for Soonercon. Here are some photos of the pretty much completed M113 model taken prior to the show in the hotel room.

100_0652.JPG

100_0653.JPG

100_0654.JPG

100_0655.JPG

100_0656.JPG

100_0657.JPG

100_0658.JPG

100_0659.JPG

100_0660.JPG

100_0661.JPG

100_0662.JPG

100_0663.JPG

100_0664.JPG

100_0665.JPG

100_0666.JPG

100_0667.JPG

100_0668.JPG

100_0669.JPG

100_0670.JPG

100_0671.JPG

100_0672.JPG

100_0673.JPG

100_0674.JPG

100_0675.JPG

I think this turned out fairly well. Now I just need to get that figure finished.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Thanks, MP.

It earned a Silver Medal at the show. I really wish I had been able to complete the gunner figure to cover up the push pin mould release make inside the hatch. I think that kept it from being Gold Standard of modeling. However, I am grateful for the Silver considering that I have only a few armor models under my belt.

Cheers,
James

Run it again when you get the figure in there. It'll do better next time I"m sure. I have a British Honey that I keep entering, seems to do better each year, guess dust build up from one year to another enhances the weathering. Couple more years it should take best of show! :rotf

Stunningly masterful work James! Congrats on the silver. I'm certain it will take Gold once you get the figure in there.

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. I appreciate it and am glad y'all like it. I just completed the figure manning the .50 and here is a photo of him in position. I will eventually add a few more figures and make this into a diorama, but for the next few shows I am going to enter it as a single armor model.

I think the figure really adds to the atmosphere and brings life to the model. It is very hard for me to not include figures with my models, the few models that I have built anyway, as I always feel that I need to tell a story with what I build since I usually depict actual people, vehicles, and events.

Anyway, here he is. I took other photos, but they did not turn out very well. I'll take more tomorrow morning.

100_0945.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

Back