• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ADVANCED MODELER SYNDROME-THE DANGER-

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
ADVANCED MODELERS SYNDROME:
Advanced modelers syndrome better known as AMS is a malady that many modelers suffer from. It is a highly contagious virus that if not managed properly can destroy a modeler’s willingness to build models.

What is AMS? Simply put it is an intense desire by the modeler to super detail everything and very much like drug or alcohol addiction requires ever increasing amounts of detail sets, working tracks, resin parts, photo etch, and so on to satisfy the modelers need to detail. AMS is spread by coming in contact with someone already infected. Casual contact is all that is required to spread the virus and victims may not even know that they have been infected. The disease presents itself very gradually at first with symptoms like making wire grab handles on armor or seatbelts for aircraft. Very soon however the infected modeler will feel the need to obtain photo etch detail sets and have a strong desire to do research. Research may be the central factor in the spread of AMS. Research transforms the modeler from just replacing certain parts to super detailing. This can be particularly dangerous because the modelers desire to detail may outstrip their ability to do it. This is the point at which AMS may go into remission or sadly could be fatal to the modeler. Many times the modeler may give up modeling altogether. This is particularly true of children. AMS can lay dormant for weeks, months, and even years waiting for the modeler’s skills to improve to the point that the disease can re-appear with full fury.

Many modeler’s are able to manage their AMS with little ill effect maintaining moderation in their building projects, but there are some that the disease has consumed them to the point that modeling is no longer possible. Some of the warning signs of out of control AMS are: 1. Delaying a project until all availably aftermarket items have been released. 2. Hiding model purchases from their spouse. 3. The cost of the aftermarket items amounts to more than the value of the kit they are for. 4. Calling in sick so you can work on your project. 5. Obsessive research behavior. 6. Choosing to go to the hobby store instead of the grocery store. These are just a few and I’m sure you can think of some more.

Some examples of full blown AMS.

A modeler bought a brand new Dragon halftrack only to trash the body parts and replace them with brass parts.

Another guy used a $30,000 prototype machine to create parts for a robotic tank model.

Filling and re-drilling the screw pattern in the top of a Panzer IV because the model company got it wrong.

And the list can go on and on.

Sadly AMS can reach such a fever pitch that the modeler will be unable to complete and in some cases even start a project. They will have multiple projects started, but not completed. Some will fall into endless research. Collecting dozens of pictures, articles, and tech manuals, but never starting a kit. Others will begin to have an obsession for collecting kits and may even panic at the suggestion that they should build one of them.

AMS can never really be cured. Only managed. Some common treatments are starting and completing a project no matter what happens during the build. Build a model out of the box. Maybe the most drastic and agonizing AMS treatment is to build a model with your child or grandchild and LET THEM DO IT.

While this has been fun little parody there are elements of truth in it. How many modelers have you seen that act just like some of the ones in this article. If you are one these poor souls I would encourage you to take a break from research and collecting and build something. Try and recapture the joy that is scale modeling

What Ya Think??

Terry

Did you know that Plato said "The beginning is the most important part of the work".
I don't know that he ever said anything about finishing the job. :eek:hyeah

Tony lee :laugh:

I have sufflerad from AMS for a long time. Havn't finished a build since 2004 or something like that.
One of the things that really pushed me over the edge was starting to judge at competitions. Nothing makes you strive more for perfection than knowing how important every flaw can be.

But I enjoy the hobby as much as most. :D

I have tried them all. Hot baths, cold baths, out of the box builds, you name it.
As all true viruses, once you get it, there´s only one end.:)

My guess is to try making the best out of it. I don't enjoy the hobby much less. I just have to accept that my kill rate might be a kit a decade.:D

My guess is to try making the best out of it. I don't enjoy the hobby much less. I just have to accept that my kill rate might be a kit a decade.:D

Well at least your paint and glue is good an cured.

:laugh:

Very funny Mr.T :laugh:

Well, as long as these AMS-guys do it to theirselves, its their problem. Cure is available.
Darker side is that some of them consider models from others, who build rudd free as a lark (yes including flaws) as inferior.

Btw you brought up some very interesting items lately ! Good (y)

Willem

Very funny Mr.T :laugh:

Well, as long as these AMS-guys do it to theirselves, its their problem. Cure is available.
Darker side is that some of them consider models from others, who build rudd free as a lark (yes including flaws) as inferior.

Btw you brought up some very interesting items lately ! Good (y)

Willem

:laugh: You sure you don't want a little photo etch to put on that. You're probably already infected. :evil:

Thanks

While I do occasionally fall prey to attacks of AMS I have had some success in keeping it a bay by reminding myself that if I did a Chuk level build on every kit I own I would need to live to the ripe old age of 350. It makes decisions a lot easier when I consider my current age and normal life expectancy. :S

WHAT? I can't hear you over the sound of my Dremel as I grind into this block of styrene! I'm sculpting a kit- sprues and all- and then I'm gonna build it with full resin, PE and custom vinyl masks!

Dddddddonnnnnttttttt fffffffooorrrgeeettt ttttthhhhhee sssiiiiiidddee eeeefffeeeccttttsssss :huh:

Some examples of full blown AMS.

A modeler bought a brand new Dragon halftrack only to trash the body parts and replace them with brass parts.

What Ya Think??

Terry

Think i'm guilty... :Hiay But I did not trash the parts! I still have them, somewhere, and the unused brass parts.

I think the worse example I engaged in was on the Flak88. There is this seat that stows downward, so I broke out the ScaleHardware and uses bolts, washers and nuts to make the seat workable, only to have it permanently held in place by the stowed swing arm. It still works, just can't move. :coolio

Still reading the rest of the thread but wanted to fess up to my guilt. :drinks

Hmmmm I wonder who used the prototype machine. :hmmm

You guys are funny. :rotf

I remember who did that, not callin' no names...

I've got a run on a prototype machine saved up, just waiting for the right project to do it on.

Back