• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ADVANCED MODELER SYNDROME-THE DANGER-

I have it bad. :( At first,I was going to build my CTA Sherman OOB. Buy noooooooooooooo. :gogo I had to get PE for it. I had to add itty bitty nuts to the bogies. :bang head
I even tried looking around on the net for a picture of a 1st armored division M4A1 with red brown camo.

Even on some of my what if builds I get anal. :pinch:

ADVANCED MODELERS SYNDROME:
Advanced modelers syndrome better known as AMS is a malady that many modelers suffer from. It is a highly contagious virus that if not managed properly can destroy a modeler’s willingness to build models.
The disease presents itself very gradually at first with symptoms like making wire grab handles on armor or seatbelts for aircraft. Very soon however the infected modeler will feel the need to obtain photo etch detail sets and have a strong desire to do research.

What Ya Think??

Terry

I am in so much trouble.....
sFun_whistle.gif

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

picard-facepalm.jpg

frantic.gif

:) :(
Well, a funny but true parody! Very well written Mr T.

I get it more now than ever before and have to push hard to finish a project - especially when you throw in all the other aspects of life that are competing with this.
It has peaked since the end of my 17cm Grille project.

I still love models but it's scary how hard it can be to get started again on a current project because of the standard you set for yourself and each consecutive project.
Not happy about it at all - I wish it would just go away so I could be free and easy again with being creative.
:soldier :soldier :vmad

Back to the battle :idonno :)

Ian.

ADVANCED MODELERS SYNDROME:
Advanced modelers syndrome better known as AMS is a malady that many modelers suffer from. It is a highly contagious virus that if not managed properly can destroy a modeler’s willingness to build models.
The disease presents itself very gradually at first with symptoms like making wire grab handles on armor or seatbelts for aircraft. Very soon however the infected modeler will feel the need to obtain photo etch detail sets and have a strong desire to do research.

What Ya Think??

Terry

I am in so much trouble.....
sFun_whistle.gif

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

picard-facepalm.jpg

frantic.gif

:rotf yep it's too late now.

Resurface? OK, sand all the raised panel lines, carve the real panel lines, carefully, remove 20-11 parts and replace them with resin, carve new panel lines, putty, sand, fill, sand again, prime, fill, sand, prime. PAINT, Clean up, touch up, look at it, admire you work, drop on floor, repeat.

Resurface? OK, sand all the raised panel lines, carve the real panel lines, carefully, remove 20-11 parts and replace them with resin, carve new panel lines, putty, sand, fill, sand again, prime, fill, sand, prime. PAINT, Clean up, touch up, look at it, admire you work, drop on floor, repeat.
Replace the word resin for scratch-built and you have me to a tee.

I will build stuff on occasion. my most ambitious build. (still to be finished) is the ancient 1/48 POS Eduard Hannover. I had to make a new top wing from scratch. I was also scratch building the Argus engine. That was coming along nicely. Just burned out on it.

DSCN0716 - 1.JPG

PA311746 - 1.JPG

I never use resin or PE because i think the kit needs it, i use it as its the major part of the "challenge of the build".
PE is flawed as its only 2D and you are building a 3D model :)
Resin is often billed as an upgrade but is rarely better than the original part on most quality kits, modern production processes mean some Tamiya kits have better detail than the old 30 year old resin parts (Aires) :) but making a 30 year old engine kit fit a 90's Hasegawa kit presents challenges that just have to be accepted :)

You are quite right Paddy. Most old resin can be worthless. When I started my 1/32 Revell Ju88 I had a fair amount of AM parts. Among them was a CMK resin upgrade for the cockpit. Turned out the Revell kit was quite close to the real thing. They are restoring a Ju88A1 in Norway and the photos from there are excellent! The CMK resin was a total waste of hard earned cash. Even the Aeries resin can be so-so. I have picked up a bunch of the newer Eduard Brassin which is quite nice. The engines for the Revell Fw-190 kits are some of the nicest resin I have purchased. They are delightfully detailed kits all on their own. I even have an extra for a super special project that has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while.

Terry,
I missed the piece when it was originally post.
while reading it, I found it very funny to think of the things I have done since the first Nationals I attended in 1985.
All the time I should have practice other disciplines to become better and not relied on an extra part to make it look better.
Great parody - but so true.

Back