• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ace the Base (or at least try to)

iambrb

OK so contrary to any opinions, I have been modeling! So I had originally intended to build a "Sho-T Gimel" with Mine Plow and out it in a field of sunflowers. Setting was to be the 1982 Invasion of Lebanon (peace for Galilee) I got the base built, and problems with the sunflowers Dee-Railed the project. So it basically sat in my model room for more than a year. In fact until recently it my NVA Takom T-54 in it, collecting dust.

As I considered possible models to take to the AMPS show in Columbia in June, it occurred to me that all the Centurion needed was a base, as it really turned out super-well. So I dug out the old base, and then inspiration hit me. The tank approaching a minefield would be great! A few quick internet searches gave me an idea of what the terrain would look like, and I go to work.

Eric Rains showed me the wonder product Clay-Shay CS). It is actually as the name implies, so it was really just slathering small layer on top of the existing CS, and fitting some pebbles from my neighbors driveway

M6MXmkT.jpg

R6kp7Vm.jpg

After that i used diluted Elmers (white) glue to position sand (again 'liberated' from the neighbor)

Followed by four layers of paint, applied with an AB in coats varying from heavy to mist. I basically used up some grungy old square-bottle testors stuff

rCREfkv.jpg

A test fit showed she's looking pretty good

ingqpF5.jpg

After that, It was really a matter of getting 1/35 scale barbed wire. I got a set from a guy in Belarus, and some razor wire from a company in Korea. I LOVED the product label from the Korean guys!

GHfZgzY.jpg

And from there is was just creating a mine-sign (used wooden match sticks there) and scratch building some signposts. So today I used the combined inspiration and coaching from Bob Letterman, Mike Trent, and Eric Rains to grind pastels into powders and layer successively lighter shades. At about 7 now. Looks good, but do you think the sand color to be a bit TOO light?

skyfqeW.jpg

BUj6Ys6.jpg

bF7mHnw.jpg

KHDtQ9Z.jpg

JCPTYsM.jpg

52919j2.jpg

pdM7Nv8.jpg

klAN4ua.jpg

CAEsBtZ.jpg

ef0G05U.jpg

let me know what ya think!

Back