• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy T-33A 1/48

Adam

I know, I know I haven't been around in forever. Well it's finally slowing down some at work and getting to that time of year again where I can get some modeling done! I started this as a quick little build... and quick it has not been but that's my own fault more than anything. It's not a bad kit except for one glaring fit issue which we will see in a little bit.

Here is the obligatory cockpit shot. I didn't do much because I'm building it closed up but I did add some masking tape for seat belts just to make it look like they were there. I did not bother cleaning up or filling any of the ejector marks.

DSC00316.jpg

Test fitting of everything was pretty darn good:

DSC00317.jpg

Except for this. You get a see saw effect trying to fit the wings to the fuselage. This is because the wheel wells hit on the inside of the fuselage making it impossible to get rid of this gap. I ground away as much as I could but it didn't help much. I was going to start eating into the wheel wells if I went any further.

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

So a lot of pressure was applied and glue flooded into the area. Bingo, problem solved.

DSC00328.jpg

Cockpit is in place and we are almost ready for primer.

DSC00329.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed and appreciated.

Hey Chris!

Howdy Bob! You still gettin up my way sometime? Oh and I may be to Savannah in January... maybe. :yipee

Yeah, my cohort told me it's not going to be till spring thaw so I guess it'll be what, April, May?

It's about damned time you showed up! When are we doing sushi again? (y)

Any time man! I'm always up for it. I know I'll get down that way eventually again. Next time I'll come more prepared and bring some stuff to work on.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hi Adam.
Nice to see some progress posting of this kits construction. I just recently aquired one at a good price.
I also note that Academy is doing a limited production rerun of the kit, so your timing is superb.

Your doing a wonderful job, and I hope you'll post extensively as you progress.

Thanks Ben. Not really much to report on construction. Filler was required in a few areas but nothing anyone with a few builds under their belt cant handle. I have gotten the canopy attached and she is primed for her first coat of paint. I have decided to make this one a whiffer because I wanted to do something flashy and couldn't find anything I really liked, so it will be a fictional scheme.

DSC05864.jpg

On another note, I really like this Tamiya fine white surface primer. This was applied straight out of the rattle bomb. It goes on quite nice if you use light misting coats. Very impressed. However, it stinks to high heaven and clouded up my entire basement. You have been warned. :stinker

:popcorn

could do it up in Thunderbird colors.

http://www.ccminc.com/vintage/index.html

There is an Airshow plane out there in the colors. No the T33 was never a Thunderbird, there was a drill team that used them.

:pilot

Well that certainly is flashy! I've got something worked out already though. Hopefully I won't stuff it up.

Back