• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Wespe in Italy

jknaus

Administrator
Well due to some health issues between my wife and I, I havent been much interested in building. Then I saw this new version of the Tamiya Wespe so I popped for one. It came last week and I figured I would do a quick oob build to get me going again. So its mostly built over the past 3 days and for the first time ever I managed to use the plastic tracks. I just hope they last though the painting stage and installation. I was going to do this as a 29 Panzer Grenadier Division in Dark Yellow and Dark Green but I cant find my Dark Green. So unless the new paint arrives in time it will probably be straight Dark Yellow vehicle from the 26 Panzer Division. Both fought near Anzio. They were also present for What the Canadians called the Liri Valley and the other allies called the 4th battle for Monte Cassino where the Canadians cracked the defensive line in a day. Then the 2 units were in reserve but close enough for me :) I find it annoying that Tamiya had big cutouts under the superstructure that could be seen so I plugged them. I puttied the gaps up after this pic and then painted and it looks good. Also plugged the vents so you cant see though. This is OOB but I had to wire up the radio and so used some fine fly fishing lead wire and some other wire. When the glue dries on the amp I will install it and finsh wiring up the radio and add throat mikes and headphones. I have some SPG riders coming but not sure if I will use them. If the ammo bins were a bit nicer I would use the Tamiya crew. I did screw up and have the gun cradle lock disengaged so I cant have this traveling unless its a short hop.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Comments and critiques welcome
James

Looks good James! It is always an excellent idea to build something simple and quick to get the creative juices flowing again.
3D_emoticon_185.gif

Nice. I'm sure you are well aware being you're not a noob to armor as this knob sitting the chair here :lol: , turp based washes & plastic tracks don't mix. I thought I was safe since I had base coated in acrylics (Tamiya)....WRONG! :facepalm:

Acrylic washes, dry brushing, & pastels. :vgood:

I came so close to throwing in the towel on the BUK when the tracks started falling apart.....

I don't think I will ever bring myself to use Turpentine for anything on a model. I used it as a kid to clean brushes. It always smelled bad and it would tend to eat plastic. I am working with some new Acrylics these days done by a small US garage Mfg that really work well. Most of them are pre-thinned for airbrush work, though they will work ok with a brush. I can also blend them using 409. It works really well when painting them over enamels.

Nice. I'm sure you are well aware being you're not a noob to armor as this knob sitting the chair here :lol: , turp based washes & plastic tracks don't mix. I thought I was safe since I had base coated in acrylics (Tamiya)....WRONG! :facepalm:

Acrylic washes, dry brushing, & pastels. :vgood:

I came so close to throwing in the towel on the BUK when the tracks started falling apart.....
Yeah they can be a pain. Bummer you ran into those problems with the BUK. I used metal tracks for mine. Will have to see where I put my plastic tracks if you still need some.
James

Okay got the tracks on and quite happy considering this is the first time ever for making a complete run in plastic. Not much luck with wiring as I've been inm and out of Emergency with my wife for the past week. I have a few more things to do and can button up the hull and paint it. Then need to finish the wiring. Got some troopies for it today and deciding if I really want to do that or not. We'll see. Comments and critiques welcome.
full

full

full

Thinking the exhaust is too rusty. Oh well. Maybe when I put some exhaust on it wont look so bad.
full

James

Hope your wife is doing better James!

The rust on the exhaust looks good. You might try some gray or camo color paint over it in patches as I don't think they were totally rusted like that. Thinking back to my old VW beetle mufflers, they had rust, but it was patchy, on the edges and areas that got a lot of hits from road stuff and heat concentration. Even the exhaust under my current car is patchy at worst and it has never been replaced with 150k miles on it.

Thanks guys. So far I'm better and Chris is doing better. Just in time to go back to work full time.
James

Okay well this did not go well. I'll finish painting it and put it on the shelf. The tracks keep breaking on me and I have noticed a few things I missed. thats okay it was enjoyable. Next one will be better. Pics when I get home from work.
James

Back