• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Baltimore Clipper Build, this will take awhile..

Thanks Puppy, James and Terry :v

I still haven't gotten The camera software on the computer so will be posting crappy pics taken with the phone:S

I was able to get the yards made (but not rigged yet)for the foremast. Here is the lower Foremast yard temporarily up. This yard has what are called Stuns'l Booms attached to it. These small booms could be extended out and each would carry a sail called a Stuns'l. In the pic the booms are in the stowed position. I made the hardware that supports them to the yard from copper and brass.
I wish I could use the camera for the shots cause there really is a lot of work on those boom brackets that you can't see in the phone pics. Ya'll will just have to take my word for it ;)

Tim

h442eb6f.jpg

This is looking fantastic! I have a couple ships to rig; I think I need to get started on them.

Keep on pluggin' man! This is looking so awesome!

Thanks Puppy, James and Terry :v

I still haven't gotten The camera software on the computer so will be posting crappy pics taken with the phone:S

I was able to get the yards made (but not rigged yet)for the foremast. Here is the lower Foremast yard temporarily up. This yard has what are called Stuns'l Booms attached to it. These small booms could be extended out and each would carry a sail called a Stuns'l. In the pic the booms are in the stowed position. I made the hardware that supports them to the yard from copper and brass.
I wish I could use the camera for the shots cause there really is a lot of work on those boom brackets that you can't see in the phone pics. Ya'll will just have to take my word for it ;)

Tim

h442eb6f.jpg

Tim this is truly a work of art :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Thanks all for looking and keeping me going :v
I am at the stage of the build where I'm changing the rig plan. The reason is, the sail plans for this ship shows a main yard and top main yard on the main mast. Although there were various rigs in the development of the Baltimore Clipper the purist of, or "final" design had fore & aft sails only on the mainmast. The reason for this is the schooner type rig was simpler to work, efficient and most importantly fast. The need for a speed is why the Baltimore Clipper came into being. The replicas,Lynx and the Pride Of Baltimore, both from the war of 1812 era, and both sailing now, are good examples of the beautiful and "racey" lines these little Clippers had. There is a nice youtube video of the Lynx sailing very fast.

I want the yards to be right. I've noticed that the best shipmodels, the ones that are truly a cut above have the same attention to the yards, masts and rigging as the hull and its fittings. This, for me is going to take some time to make sure where the blocks, tackle and lines actually go and why. I'm drilling the holes for the Jackstays on the yards now, there is a ton of 'em! Pics in a day or too!

Tim

Thanks all for looking and keeping me going :v
I am at the stage of the build where I'm changing the rig plan. The reason is, the sail plans for this ship shows a main yard and top main yard on the main mast. Although there were various rigs in the development of the Baltimore Clipper the purist of, or "final" design had fore & aft sails only on the mainmast. The reason for this is the schooner type rig was simpler to work, efficient and most importantly fast. The need for a speed is why the Baltimore Clipper came into being. The replicas,Lynx and the Pride Of Baltimore, both from the war of 1812 era, and both sailing now, are good examples of the beautiful and "racey" lines these little Clippers had. There is a nice youtube video of the Lynx sailing very fast.

I want the yards to be right. I've noticed that the best shipmodels, the ones that are truly a cut above have the same attention to the yards, masts and rigging as the hull and its fittings. This, for me is going to take some time to make sure where the blocks, tackle and lines actually go and why. I'm drilling the holes for the Jackstays on the yards now, there is a ton of 'em! Pics in a day or too!

Tim

Ahoy there.

A fore and aft rig also let a ship sail much closer to the wind than a square rig did.

This reminds me of my Norske Love (North Lion) build of 30 years ago. I used to play sea shanties as I did the rigging.

CHeers from Peter

Hi Peter, mabey I should switch to sea shanties, I've got Radiohead going in the background :side:

I'm reading a book - The Baltimore Clipper, by Howard Irving Chappele, which mentions that square rigger crews had to get used to the Schooner rigged vessels because of their speed and quick response to the wind. If they were inexperienced with these nimble ships the crews could quickly find themselves in trouble.

Tim

Hi Peter, mabey I should switch to sea shanties, I've got Radiohead going in the background :side:

I'm reading a book - The Baltimore Clipper, by Howard Irving Chappele, which mentions that square rigger crews had to get used to the Schooner rigged vessels because of their speed and quick response to the wind. If they were inexperienced with these nimble ships the crews could quickly find themselves in trouble.

Tim

Shanties are pretty cool songs used to help with the work. A good shanty singer was worth a lot of money.

"How do you know she's a Yankee packet?

She fired her guns and we heard the racket.

How do you know she's a Yankee clipper?

I took one look and I knowed her skipper."

and so on.

Cheers from Peter

For the past few evenings I've been tying the Ratlines on to the shrouds. This is by far the most monotonous job I've done in a while! :blink
The Ratlines are what the crews used to get up into the mast tops. They are tied to the shrouds with clove hitch knots, like the real ones, as it's the most effective way.

h3a17b73.jpg

Foremast ratlines done.

Thats a square shot there. The deck gun look appropriate and I like the looks of the rigging on the fore truck.

Will you have to thread the tackle too?

Just fantastic. She's a beautiful boat for sure. I cant even imagine where you get the patience from for this. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Wow Tim, you lead such a fast pace life . How do you deal with it :rotf :rotf :rotf

All kidding aside she looks beautiful . Sure would be nice to see her in person .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks men :v
Paulw, I'll be rigging everything :good:

Christian, if you find yourself anywhere near Chattanooga feel free to visit :dude...just try to keep up :rotf

Tim

Christian, if you find yourself anywhere near Chattanooga feel free to visit :dude...just try to keep up :rotf

Tim

Wish we were going in that direction Tim . Unfortunately , there's nothing like that on the calender :(

Cheers, Christian B)

Tim

Wish we were going in that direction Tim . Unfortunately , there's nothing like that on the calender :(

Cheers, Christian B)

I understand they have a great Railroad Museum, isn't The General (of the Great Locomotive Chase fame) there? You'd think with the history of railroading there one could find some awesome hobby shops.

But there ain't no easy way to get to there from here. :facepalm

Back