• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

25 Pounder = Tamiya = Normandy

Tankbuilder

My second entry for this group build.

This is actually the first part of a three part diorama series I've planned. The series will depict Canadians during the Normandy Campaign.

This dioram will be the 25 pounder gun firing at a Mike Target. A Mike Target was intense and prolonged firing of the gun. Therefore there will be hundreds of spent cartridges near this gun.

The lower torsos from some of these Dragon figure will be coupled with the upper torsos of the kit figures to create suitable figures for Normandy.

The 3/32" white tubing will be cut into short pieces to make the empty cartridge casings with. Each one will have a tiny white plastic disc attached to one end. The Brass tubing will have asection cut off and it will be used to allign each disc onto the plastic cartridge piece.

The plastic container has 50 resin 25 pounder amo boxes in it. Some will be used in this diorama but the vast majority of them will be used in the truck resupply diorama.

Here's the 25 pounder gun kit and newspaper.

IMG_1756.JPG

Here's the date.

IMG_1757.JPG

Kit shells and cartridges plus the makings for the spent casings.

IMG_1759.JPG

I will use about 10 of these 50 ammo boxes.

IMG_1760.JPG

The gun kit and the figures for the modified gun crew.

IMG_1763.JPG

The Canadian Infantry figures from Dragon. The Canadian uniforms were darker than the British ones and that's about the only difference between the two countries.

IMG_1765.JPG

The British Infantry figures from Dragon.

IMG_1766.JPG

I'll be working on this gun along with the IDF gun.

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome. Cheers

What is this, like the third one going now? :popcorn

:soldier

They had the Dragon version at the LHS but I remember the Tamyia when I was a kid. IT was already yellow so I did't have to paint it! :yipee

What is this, like the third one going now? :popcorn

:soldier

They had the Dragon version at the LHS but I remember the Tamyia when I was a kid. IT was already yellow so I did't have to paint it! :yipee

Nope. The first line of my post says it's my second entry. LOL VBG ;<)

Sometimes I like the older kits that aren't multi-media and/or don't hava photo-etch in them. They go together pretty fast and are FUN to build. I'm just getting back into model building after a long hiatus and the last thing I want to do right now is start a persnickity kit.

I might even enter my old Italeri 105 mm howitzer in this GB. If I do it'll be built as a Canadian gun too.

The 25 pounder gun might be an easy build but it's going to be reallt time consuming making those hundreds of empty casings for it.

Cheers

I mean being built right now Peter, I know Paddy has one underway, think someone else has one.

I mean being built right now Peter, I know Paddy has one underway, think someone else has one.

OOPS! My bad.

I'm really happy to see so many release in styrene of British stuff that was also used by the Canadians during and after WW2. I have the Bronco 17 pounder anti-tank gun kit and the bronco 17 pounder ammo kit for another diorama sometime in the future. Now we have a choice of 25 pounder styrene kits too.

Cheers

Awesome stuff Peter. I started the Bronco kit, but it is way over engineered. I then built the Dragon kit and it is fantastic. Of course you cant go wrong with the Tamiya kit, but it does show its age. Looking forward to watching this build :popcorn
James

Looking forward to see this one Peter :) the ammo is on the way now, i hope you have them before X-mas :D
//Mats

Made some progress on the gun barrel assembly. Gun halves, breech and muzzle brake are all together now and cured. Muzzle brake has been drilled out as has the breech and the barrel. I can see daylight at either end of the assembly when I look in one end towards the other. Just need to figure out how to take an image of that.

ill probably make the breech lever positionable. If that's too hard to do then this lever will be glued onto the breech in a horizontal position and the breech block placed in the lowered position for loading the gun.

Cheers

Its a good kit despite its age. Having said that i did half of mine with PE :laugh:

(Aeroplane guy pretending he knows what he's talking about)

Its a good kit despite its age. Having said that i did half of mine with PE :laugh:

(Aeroplane guy pretending he knows what he's talking about)

I've tried working with PE and just don't like its fiddliness. For me it takes the fun out of model building and therefore I try to avoid kits with a lot of PE in them unless most of the PE parts are also there in styrene. I do admire those of you who detail with PE. On top of that the local hobby stores (pretty small) don't carry much PE.

Cheers

Some progress on the guns.

I'm building the 25 pounder for Normandy and my IDF 25 pounder at the same time until it's time to apply the paint.

The barrel assembly is done. I drilled out the muzzle brake holes on the side of the muzzle brake.

I've also done some assembly of the trail.

IMG_1789.JPG

I also drilled out the barrel and the breech. If you look down the gun barrel you can see light at the end of it.

IMG_1785.JPG

I've split the shells and the cartridges apart prior to cleaning them up to use as individual pieces. NOTE. These are from a number of kits not just one.

IMG_1787.JPG

Thanks for looking or for watching this build. Kind comments are always welcome.

Back