• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2021 Plastic Surgeons Meeting posts

Rhino

Super Moderator
OK Men, 2020 is a thing of the past.
We have weathered trials and tribulations. Covid-19 is gone. Shipping prices for treasured precious model kits we wish for are shrinking to pre-CCV panic levels. Doctors are curing diseases, rather than making huge profits treating them and our election process here in the United States of America has regained it's sanctity! Alferd Packer is again devouring Dimicrats in the Rocky Mountains! (Kuddos to Mike!)

Or Not.

Find here the link to our first Plastic Surgeons 2021 Zoom meeting.

If you want to come play Zoom with us, use the linkie on 7 January at 1830 CST and see if our host, Francisco will let you join.
You don't really even have to wear pants! Wookiees are equally welcome!

No more complaining about not having been told!

Plenty of warning guys. Always a good time and bring your best builds to show off. Also put on a shirt! :rotf

Wearing a shirt is a HUGE plus! I'm reasonably sure none of our club members need to see your titties!
Seeing your actual faces could be shocking enough!! If you don't like Zoom (it is owned by China) We understand. USMC and US Army personnel are exempt. US Navy vet's & Blue-suiters are a different story.
Post the pictures you want to share to your desktop. Let's begin 2021 with a Pfoof! And counter-pfoof!
Our Host, Francisco says "The more the merrier." He pays for it so I respect his opinion.

Had a hugely fun time listening and joining in while painting and building on my Horton kit.

BTW Rhino these French plumbers have their shirts on.

French plumbers.jpg

My humble apologies for not making it. No real reason just spent the time with the wife. But please keep us informed as to upcoming meeting as I really do want to attend...no really I do.

I was having supper with my Sweetie when my phone dinged. I forgot it was Thursday and almost missed my own club's meeting! :facepalm:
12 Modelers joined the Zoom meeting. Francisco as host, Don Barry Joe Lotz, Bob Maloy, Greg Metge, Mark Karolus Nate Stevens and Mike Rasmussen where among the "repeat offenders". We were joined for the first time by Ross Petra and even Tom Hiatt as Club members. "Mr. Entertainment" himself, Heaven's Eagle, joined in from Memphis for the first time too! It was a fine "visit"?!? I took notes for this posting so I could keep you Men up to date. I DID!

Joe showed his Russian KS19m2 air defense gun again. He also made some progress on his Russian T-14 modern heavy tank. I understand the shiny new T-14's turret is completely automated. Both are pretty good kits.
Joe's 1/48 Eduard Me-108 Taifun continues to give Joe fits. Not much fits. The canopy is this meeting's subject of derision. What a Turd!

Bob is making some headway on his chopped and channeled 1/25 '49 Ford and is She in the weeds!!
Last year I sent an email to Archer Fine Details about 1/25 resin louver decal details. No reply so far. How cool would it be for car modelers if Archers decided to make that? I would have to have some.

Greg is putting together a 1/35 Trumpeter Sdkfz 7 (early). It is a shame all the intricate winch & driveline details will be covered by the bed & body. Greg's experience with 1/35 Wehrmacht subjects shines with every build. He comments the dioramas he builds when the vehicle is killing somebody are more fun & interesting.
With the leisurely top speed of an SdkfZ 7, it would be hard to run over anyone that had a heartbeat!

Mark built Very Fire's 1/700 USS Salem CA-139 US Navy heavy cruiser for a review for Fine Scale Modeler. I thought about chiding him about getting a new, cool model ship for free, until I saw how much documentation there is to do for Fine Scale to document the build and review. Just shy of 600 parts and 79 hours total time to build USS Salem! It looks like Mark did fine job on his kit and his "Homework". I hunted FSM's website, but as of this posting it seems Mark's review has been published yet.

I displayed CSS Arkansas' finished Master, 1/700 Afrikan Queen, a picture of Linda Vaughn (accidently) from 1974 and progress on CSS Alabama. Guess which picture received the most aplomb form our merry band of model makers?!

Paul was diligently modeling away and added his input when it was interesting and funny! He's the only guy I know that takes a 1/32 Zoukei Mura model kit instrument panel apart to improve it! I last saw Paul in 2011 (In person) at the Nationals in Omaha. I count "Watchmaker" among my friends.

Don is hunting for the 1/35 Trumpeter Rheintochter FlaKpanzer kit. He plans a war weary Panter chassis with a not quite finished missile launcher turret parts. Should be cool!

Nathan Stevens' flock of 1/72 airplane models continue to march down His assembly line. He finished all 3 of his Italeri 1/72 B-26 Invaders, 11 1/72 P-51 Mustangs are underway. Two models from every squadron that flew the Mustang in WWII is his goal. "I have a lot of decals to use up." HA!!
We both look forward to Airfix' new tool 1/72 Hampden.

It was a pleasant surprise to see Ross (Roscoe) Petra on-line. Joe & Amy donated a laptop and a smartphone to Ross to move him into the 21st Century. A fine gift for not just our Generaloberst! Ross makes a fine model. He isn't crazy about weathering. He includes every detail on his models, even if nobody will ever see them again.
He was our most embattled Plastic Surgeons President (President Trump thinks HE has it rough!!)
He's a great guy and a fine friend. He is also a recipient of one of my Operation Affenbumsen missions. A very successful Operation! Ross didn't show us any models, but since it was his first Zoom we were gentle with him.

I took over as Host around 8:30 when Francisco left the meeting. If there ever was much structure to our meetings, this is when any semblance of such VANISHES!!
"Welcome to The Wild Thing"!!
Paul hung in there until 2300 or so. Mark stayed to play until his phone died. Members faded away until it was down to Nate Stevens and myself. At one point The Girls had a chat. Teresa and Sara amused one another for a bit.
Sara learned a few, new, rudimentary German phrases. Nate and I carried on until after 0100 Friday morning. A record-setting Zoom for us as friends!

Operation Affembumsen XII, The USS Cobia Sleep-Over (IF we sleep at all!) will be executed this year. I learned Sara Stevens is fearsome claustrophobic, so the wimmen-people will likely stay at the Best Western next door to the museum while we track, attack and sink every enemy (?) vessel we sight. A few of our members may be unable to fit through USS Cobia's hatches. There are no such openings aboard MS Dennis Sullivan. The 2 hour cruise is educational and fun!
Bone up on your US Navy tracking and attack protocols and study your old sailing ship song lyrics.

Start with this one! I will help with the rest!

The link to the next Zoom meeting will appear here in 11 more days.
Thanks for looking in!

Enjoyed it immensely Chris!

It got me in the build room and going again. I almost have the instrument panel all together. It is looking really good. Have one side instrument to do yet and then some paint and clear resin to fill the instruments for glass.

A Man never knows where Model Mojo will come from! Every one of us is stronger as a group than we are as individuals. Is that not why we as Model Makers take the time and effort to post and comment on M/A?
During these times of tribulation it is easy to feel isolated. Isolated people are more vulnerable to the deception and lies of evil doers. They know this. Benjamin Franklin once said "If we do not hang together, we will surely hang separately." I feel that statement is relevant in today's world, in a less literal way, than it was in Benjamin's.
Our forefathers had tangible enemies of freedom and truth.

I wanted to know what "Roll the Old Chariot Along" meant. I found this quote from the Exmouth Shanty Men (The original buoy band)

Eric Illott, a shantyman from Bristol, apparently said that this song was used when scraping growth from the ship's hull during long voyages - barnacles, seaweeds and the like, which would slow the ship down. They used a device called the "Devil's Scrubbing Brush", two planks joined by a hinge and with long nails driven through. This was lowered into the sea over the "sharp end", and hauled by ropes backwards under the hull, scraping off the fouling. The verses, which had to be kept going as long as the job lasted, mentioned all the things the shantyman would rather be doing instead of scratching his bottom in mid-ocean. The song is said to be African-American in origin and in some versions a golden wheel is used in place of the chariot. According to Hugill, it was sung around the Dismal Swamp in Georgia at corn shucking and log rollings. Doerflinger writes that it was based on the words of a Salvation Army hymn, and the tune is a Scottish reel. "Nelson's Blood" is brandy, (not rum). After Trafalgar, Nelson's body was put into a cask of brandy to preserve it for the voyage back to London. When the Victory docked, it was discovered that the crew had tapped into the cask and drunk the lot.

And now you have The Rest of the Story. Chris Rhiner. Good day!

Next Zoom meeting! Join the merry band of on-line Plastic Surgeons this Thursday 1830 CST if you wish to!
Those of you with stamina enough may stick around for the "Wild Thing" after Francisco turns the meeting over to me! Expect No Mercy!
Oh Hey! Wear clothes! Even if it is your 2021 model jammies!

21 January 2021 Meeting:
As usual Francisco led our meeting off. Unusual, he did so from his Mom & Dad-in-Laws house in St. Louis! Envy ensued when He sang the praises of the Mark Twain Hobby Center where he purchased the 1/35 Tamiya Sturmtiger kit that same day. I have fond memories of the MTH from not so many years ago. 8 Surgeons and one Gato-class Submarine owner attended. It vas a pretty good meeting.
IMG_6219.JPG

Greg Metge "arrived". The first few minutes of our zoom meeting is usually old friends catching up. The Chitter-Chatter of which I am so often guilty. Greg commented on the cold weather in Florida. It got all the way down to 70 degrees on his morning bike ride. It is wise to keep your cold weather gear close at hand during the harsh Florida winter weather! We all feel for poor Greg. Saints preserve us! He says his "water line' drips constantly, so there is no danger of it freezing! More progress on his Trumpeter Sdkfz 7 (early) model covered up most of the cool winch and drivetrain detail. BFA!

We shared discussion about the predictable demise of Squadron. It's a shame, but you can't ignore the needs of your customers for 10 years or more and expect to be relevant in the model business. Most of us agree that about the time they abandoned their very successful 2-color flyer/pamphlet and wanted us to pay for a subscription to their new Magazine was were the end began. If you're going to sell model kits, SELL MODEL KITS! We don't need any extra bullschtein to interest us in paying higher prices. The buzz is Sprue Brothers bought out Squadron's remaining stock. Sprue Brothers sells models! Harrumph Gordon Kwan!

Ross Petra and Greg discussed Shapeways 1/35 scale 3D printed German tool clamps. Ross has been working on a model, but is playing it close to the vest until he gets an airbrush that works. I'll bet it's German. I expect the green to be doch perfekt!

German word of the Day!
Fussbodenschleifmaschinenverleih THIS is why you don't play Scrabble with Germans!
Can you guess what it means?

Joe produced Eduard's ill-fitting 1/48 BF-108 Taifun gripped in the jaws of a huge clamp! In a leap of model faith Joe unclamped the pesky Taifun's canopy and it stayed put! (I knew he could do it!) No news on whether the canopy in question cracked or not. Joe's 1/35 T-14 Armata 55-ton Russian tank nears completion. It a big sumbitch! Bigger than a British Challenger!
Note to self. No Eduard1/48 BF-108's for me! The 1/72 Heller kit will do just fine!

Tom Hiatt joined us from the Wrong Side of the River with a Beemax (I think!?) 1/24 Porche 935 Lemans race car model. He's fine tuning a less-than-perfect model car kit. It's a curbside model. It just looks KUHL! Tom models more precisely and less prolifically than some of us choose to. Tom described how he watched the Road America race and how the fire would shoot out of the back of the 935's when they decelerated. How cool is THAT!!

Nate is still working on his 11 P-51D Mustang shelf-fillers. He comments the new Airfix 1/72 Mustang has exaggerated panel lines, but he chose it because you can model it with the flaps lowered. Parked P-51's hydraulics bleed down. Most of the time the inner gear doors droop as well as the hanging flaps. He is otherwise under impressed. Academy is still the best 1/72 B and A-models. Revell AG B kit is a pretty good kit, but beware! Sand the trailing edges of the wings so they fit flat.

Mike Rasmussen's 1/24 Trumpeter Stuka arrived, but his camera wasn't big enough to show how big the box is!

I'm getting ready to start molding so I asked the group if they wanted anything cast. The more stuff there is in the mold, the further the RTV goes! Mike wants a pigeon. Not just ANY pigeon. This one!
Evidently Mike has a Dick Dastardly kit and wants Yankee Doodle pigeon to go with it. I feel disinclined to refuse.
I have made sillier stuff! Clown fish, Egg Doffins, 1/350 Killer Whales and the 9th U-boat Flotilla "Laughing Swordfisch". Mike's never asked me for anything before. Why not?!

Mark Karolus was next with a 1/600 Charles de Gaulle French nucular aircraft carrier model from Kitech. The fit appears appalling with warpage and gawdawful over-scale thick decals. Mark commented that no one currently makes a kit of this ship except Kitech. I a quipped it appeared NO ONE still does! Mark has built some Turds over the years. I'm pretty sure it will come out stellar. This model is a gift for one of Mark's French friends. An engineer at a nucular powerplant.

Mark also showcased the 1/700 Royal Navy light fleet carrier Colossus. Made by Imperial Hobby Productions right here in the good old USA! She's injection molded and very detailed! 10 out of 16 vessels in the class were built and served in other Nation's navies until recently. I think the Indian Navy's Vikrant is still in service.

My 1/700 Corsair and Hunley were viewed. Having recently seen "The Deep" on Blu-ray, I can confess Corsair needs more work. Nobody gets as excited about 1/700 model stuff as I do. I'm cool with it. I have in me the need to create. I like oddball/movie ships & boats. I sorta envy you guys that can just build someone else's model kit.

The "Wild Thing" wasn't all that wild. Nathan showed me some of Ty's artwork from his Art class. Ty and I share a fondness for Manfred von Richtofen it seems. Mongo Impressed!
We both ran out of gas after the news (lies, propaganda) and called it a night.

That's all the News that's new and approved from IPMS Plastic Surgeons! The sweetest smelling Chapter in Region 14!

Thanks for looking in!

Last edited:
I could have used a lift up. This last week was rather crappy. Had crap going on that was triggering my depressive stuff. Been there before and know it will pass. Just interesting that I can see when it kicks in and this time what was triggering it.

That is a great post action report. I wanted to join but a friend of mine came over so I stayed off to entertain him.

I also built the Kitech 1/600 scale Charles de Gaulle carrier. I didn't have any issues with warpage or anything; mine fairly fell together. Most interesting. I am thrilled that someone came out with that carrier and the fact it is in 1/600 scale is just cream!

That being said, most of my 296 models ships are in 1/700 scale so I also love that scale. I'm looking to increase that count soon; it's been awhile since I finished a ship...

Have no fear, Brothers. The Plastic Surgeons will leave the light on for ya!
As for my "report", I do this for Iron Mike, to keep him in the loop. That's how I got started on M/A many Moons ago. He was a club meeting stalwart before he moved 1,000 (almost exactly) miles away. Some club members look in as guests. Few post on M/A regularly.
This is the only social media I use and it's fairly sociable.
IMG_E7523.JPG

Now, per Mike (It's pronounced Cindi) Rasmussen's request, I got my August, 2009 Milliput out of the fridge and started on his Yankee Doodle Pigeon today. The bigger one will be going like Hell and the smaller pigeon will just be flying. Wings and tailfeathers will mold as separate bits IF the ancient Milliput actually cures overnight! The message pouch will be plastic. I haven't decided what to make his bugle out of yet. :hmm:

Stay tuned for more exciting developments as another silly-assed project unfolds!! :bang head:lol:
Thanks for looking in!

Thanks Men! I moved Yankee Doodle Pigeon to my fizzled John Bowrey Figure campaign thread.

Back