• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2021 Plastic Surgeons Meeting posts

I invited Frank. He says his machine won't support the Zoom platform.
I find I may have been appointed the keeper of the Zoom Underworld. (Or after Francisco retires for the evening, "Afterworld" perhaps?) I felt badly about letting my "Afterworld" Zoom funseekers down. We haven't seen nearly enough of one another in almost a whole year. I hate this Wuhan crap. Just a little less than 4 more years to go.

I hope we get to see our double-secret guest star makes the next meeting.

Zoom meetings are still afoot!
4 March 2021 meeting linkie;

7:30 PM East Coast, thats 1:30 AM the next day here, that is just too early or too late ...
Martin, one record setting Zoom meeting lasted until 1:10am USA/CST here. (0610 your time?) there was much laughter, blabbering on about models and celebration! The Rum was not quite gone. This is NOT the norm. 3 or 4 attendees participated. At the end of that meeting 'twere Nathan Stevens and myself left awake.
Everyone interested is welcome! Being able to see your own face on-line takes some getting used to.

Sure, you are right, if it were Saturday or Sunday but I've to work on Fridays, that just won't fit, only if I have off a friday, then maybe

Perhaps we could organize a Modeler's Alliance zoom meeting on a weekend morning for a more global bit of model mayhem!
Over to you, 'Pup!

That being said,
4 March, 2021's Zoom meeting was exceptionally attended! 14 Model makers visited on-line to share what fun they wanted to. "It all began back in 1994................." 9 Plastic Surgeon's stalwarts and 5 esteemed visitors braved the elements to...........
Never mind. It was Zoom. No reason to dramatize such a thing. Damn the Martinis! Full Speed Ahead!

Beginning with Francisco and myself, other Club members began to magically appear.
There is a rumor of a 1/35 German Army Steyr 1500 truck at Francisco's place. It must be super secret. We didn't see the model of any pictures. Ross showed his completed 1/35 DAK Horch command car(?) to demonstrate how similar the 2 vehicles are.

Bob Maloy showed us his chopped '49 Ford's red & white interior and it is PURTY! Bob discussed his method for top chopping in a little bit of detail. I fear if I try such a thing, I might end up with a convertible. Bob has his art down to a science. The pictures for the assembled 1/25 Ford make her look low & sleek!

In his first Zoom appearance, Rodney Shackleford came by to tell us about the 5 completed 1/48 Cold War Jets he built while on lock-down for Wuhan virus. An F/A-18C Hornet, a UH1C USMC Huey, a North American Super Sabre in SEA camouflage, an Italian TF-104G Starfighter and my favorite, the Hasegawa Vought F-8E Crusader in MARINE markings. As we watched, The Starfighter suffered a minor mishap and lost her pitot tube and canopies. Oh the Humanity! The customarily humble Rodney builds a really nice airplane model. IPMS Judges in Region 5 and Region 14 consistently re-enforce my opinion.
IMG_E7758.JPG
Rod's F-100D in progress. The canopy was lost in production mishap. A Monogram canopy will stand in until the replacement Trumpeter one arrives from overseas.

Greg Metzger arrived to showcase his finished 1/35 Trumpeter Sdkfz 7 (early) and its up to his usual standards for model making. In the rear basket there are 12 rucksacks, detailed, painted and washed, wrapped up in waterproof tarp. Just like the cool engine, and drivetrain details, It's a little like the old Ragu spaghetti sauce add. "It's in there!" Ross and Greg explained how the steering of the 1/2 track operated hydraulically. (I didn't know that!)
Greg is a modeler that only builds one kit at a time. (Teresa chides me "Are you listening, Honey?")
I hope he starts the 88mm FlaK-17 next!

Joachim Lotz is working on an "old" 1/35 Tamiya British Challenger I mode and continues to assemble his1/35 Takom Merkava 1. Joe sings Takom's praises about detail, fit and even the nifty jig for building the kit tracks they include. Evidently the Takom Merkava 1 is a pretty good kit. We also as a group, got clarification on the fate of his Eduard 1/48 Bf-108 Taifun. A tale of canopy woe to be sure. I thought it sounded like the Taifun was a huge pain the ass the whole build. Joe's usual good nature shines through the 'darkness".

Nathan Stevens pops in to tell us about Hasegawa's 1/72 G3M Nell torpedo bomber. You remember, the Japanese Navy pilots that got HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse? It was the easiest Hasegawa kit he has built so far, and enjoyed the making of Her. His 11-at-a-time 1/72 P-51D Mustang is running and producing a parade of nice airplanes.
(Hear that Honey?! 11 at a time? See! It's not just me!!" I chide my Sweetie in return)

I shared my Yankee Doodle Pigeon build with Archer eyeballs and progress on 1/700 CSS Arkansas. I had an non-alcohol related mishap and snapped the poke-screen on my laptop. I couldn't see my desktop, so I couldn't SHARE my desktop. Zorn!! What a World.
IMG_E7754.JPG
I try to comfort myself by saying it was almost 6 years old. Probably needed an upgrade anyway. HP said they stopped supporting it a couple of weeks ago. I would have used it until it farted cob-webs and the magic smoke came out. It's damaged but still underway at this time. A speedy replacement with 3X the memory is on the way from HP. (Thanks Mike!)
SEE!?! See what happens when you get too much blood in your alcohol stream?! SEE?! :ph:

Now to our esteemed guests:
A young lady, Elizabeth Nash appeared. Shortly there after Mark Karolus came by. Then "askinner" came on.
In the spirit of "The More the Merrier" Mark invited two of Fine Scale Modeler magazine's top people.
You should have seen young Elizabeth's face when I asked "Who is Aaron Skinner?" as if I lived under a rock or something.:bm:

Aaron Skinner is the EDITOR of FSM and a fine modeler in his own right. (OOPS! back to my comfy rock!)
Elizabeth Nash is the Digital Editor (The talented kid that makes all the screwy pictures sent to FSM appear much better than they really are) and lays out the magazine.
Mark is a model ship reviewer for the Waukesha, WI based model magazine and in true Zoom fashion, invited 2 of his friends. I sent Mark a TLAR Care Package. He needed turrets for his 1/700 DE-R model and I make them. I included some other interesting nautical bits, so my friend Mark built the 1/700 Hunley right away. Spar, Torpedo and rigging. Mark added the air pipes to the dinky TLAR model as well. He displayed Hunley on a rock, with SSN-777, USS North Carolina, in the background, for scale. I was truly pleased to see such detail added to my rudimentary 1/700 Hunley casting!

Aaron was working on Kinetic Model's 1/48 Argentine Pucara' and a Star Trek Galileo shuttle craft as the meeting progressed. Evidently their Pucara' doesn't share the same "Sins" of Kinetic's T-38/F5 Tiger series and sounds like a pretty good kit.
Elizabeth has a kit of RMS Titanic, but not the time to put it together. She actually owns a ship model! Cool!!

Apologies! It's time to take our grand daughter and great grandson out for supper! Stay tuned as more of this exciting tale unfolds. I'll be back after a bit!

IMG_E7757.JPG
This young whipper-snapper is Scotty Allen, our great grandson. As you can see he is learning what boys eat at Napoli's. Bread, Tomato basil soup and spaghetti with red sauce. He's 14 months old and quite a kid. We had a fine supper.

Back to the meeting;
2 M/A members joined us from California. John Eaton and Mark Deliduka. John's still working on his Lockheed Salmon. He showed us his cool 1/48 USAAC fuel tanker project and we chatted about his Airfix "Ready for Battle" 1/48 Hurricane Mk.1 model kit.

Mark showcased a veritable firehose of 1/72 builds. 3 different Takom British Challenger (Centurions Maybe?) tanks, an armored D9 Bulldozer, and a M-109 SP gun, I was taking notes, I WAS! Mark went over his builds so quickly I lost track. The HUGE 1/72 AN-225 jet stands out. Quantity of models is certainly Marks forte.

Paul Schafer joined us from Memphis, TN. His exacting Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ho-229 is coming along steadily. Paul has started his Tamiya 1/72 P-47D Thunderbolt build. Having seen his mod's on the Ho-229, I wonder what details Paul will add to the Tamiya Thunderbolt. Keys in the ignition? Operating turbo-supercharger doors? Something with "Wow factor" to be sure.

Bob Britt came along for the ride as well. His project is the SBS 1/72 DE Havilland 88 "Comet" racing airplane. You remember the British airplane, "Bulldog" voiced by John Cleese in "Planes"? One of those! The SBS kit appears to miles ahead of the classic Airfix issue from most of our earlier childhoods.
She a pricey lil' thang, ain't she?

The meeting continued until 12:10. Paul, Nate and I carried on about seat belt techniques, models we want to see, Tamiya 1/72 Warbird Series Grumman Tigercat, New tool Airfix 1/72 Chipmunk, Hasegawa 1/700 Casablanca class CVE, models we can do without and other non-model related subjects.

Thanks for looking in!
Have fun!
Don't get hurt!
Keep the Faith!

Last edited:
She a pricey lil' thang, ain't she?
I'd call that price gouging.
You can get it direct form SBS models for a fraction of that.

Check out their other offerings.

Always a fun call.

I'd call that price gouging.
You can get it direct form SBS models for a fraction of that.

Check out their other offerings.

Always a fun call.
Can you say if the shipping from Hungary is outrageous? Do they ship to the US? That cast clear resin canopy is a work of art by itself!

OH!! TIP! (from Nate Stephens) He uses silver Sharpie marker on his aircraft navigation lights. Then green or red Sharpie marker over the silver, then a touch of Future to finish it off. Not so unlike the Tamiya Chrome paint pen and the colored Tamiya clear over that, excepting that Nate's method is dry and ready to handle quickly.
I almost forgot!

It was as always an enjoyable evening Chris! Went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up one of the few Testors paints that are still worth getting. I needed some Zinc Chromate Yellow (NOT the green). They still make this in the tiny bottles. (YAY!) Picked up 2 bottles as this is used in the wheel wells in the P-47. As this color is also used in the same areas of the P-61 and some other US fighters I will have to pick up a supply for some of the larger kits I have.

It was as always an enjoyable evening Chris! Went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up one of the few Testors paints that are still worth getting. I needed some Zinc Chromate Yellow (NOT the green). They still make this in the tiny bottles. (YAY!) Picked up 2 bottles as this is used in the wheel wells in the P-47. As this color is also used in the same areas of the P-61 and some other US fighters I will have to pick up a supply for some of the larger kits I have.
I still use several little Testors PLA bottles. Flat Sea Blue, ZNCR Lellow, Leather and Rubber in particular. They age well and thin nicely. I seem to gain paint when I airbrush. Putting the left over back in the bottle. Airbrushes are the enemy of paint sales. Knocking over the little Testors paint bottle promotes sales!

Giving credit where credit is due, Francisco Melendez started the Zooming and still pays for it. In my capacity of "Keeper of the Afterworld", I do what I can to keep things fun and not absolutely P/C (I hate P/C). There are only 2 ways the Zoom typically ends. Nathan seems satisfied if "Make it to tomorrow" or if he runs out of beer. For Elizabeth Nash's first visit, she seemed to understand the atmosphere of Zoom, sipping on her wine glass.

We wondered together what hat would complete your Bond Villain look with your jeweler's eyepiece on. I suggested something more Borg-ish. "Locutus of Memphis" perhaps? I am tickled if everyone that pops on has a good time.
Modeling and zooming should be a little haven of FUN!
With so much else going on in the world to frighten us or piss us off, I enjoy the interaction very muchly!

While we here in Memphis have pretty much lost out club. I find MA and the Zoom group more than make up for it. Our local group has just trickled away due to age, attrition, people moving away, and malaise. (yes an old Jimmy C term that truly applies to a bit of Memphis) I managed to bump up one of the last meetings we had by giving away some goodies to the first 5 people that showed up. CCPV happened after that and it just fizzled away.

Can you say if the shipping from Hungary is outrageous? Do they ship to the US? That cast clear resin canopy is a work of art by itself!
Just checked, 10e for shipping to US. It's a bargain!

Tell Nate there's nothing stopping him from giving us those pro tips personally. :dance:

I have offered to post pictures for non-M/A members. I used to post pictures from our regular meetings. At the same time I suggest some of our members join Modeler's Alliance and partake of the madness!

What a great after action report Chris! That surely was a fun meeting; I just wish I could log in for more. Now for a little assistance since I went too fast for you to writ everything down:

The models I was working on were:

-> three Chieftains: a Mk.5, a Mk.10 and a Mk.11
-> an FV-432 APC. It came in the same box with the Chieftain Mk. 5
-> A Russian MSTA 2S19 self propelled gun
-> a US Army M-109A6 self propelled gun
-> the D-9 dozer from the Takom M-1070 kit
-> an Olympia staff car
-> an AT-1 Snapper anti-tank vehicle
-> an easy-build M-3 halftrack from Plastic Soldier Company
-> a C-54 cargo plane
-> an A-400 Grizzly cargo plane
-> and finally, the An-124 cargo plane. I haven't got the 225 yet. You think the An-124 is big? HA! Wait till you see the An-225; it's at least ten inches longer than the one I'm building now.

I'll be posting the pics of all that work above soon. That way everyone can see it here too. And Chris, tell Sweetie that I am also working on more than eleven models at a time! LOL! You are in good company working on more than one at a time.

I don't know that I would be able to do a weekend Zoom; I always have something going on, especially on Sunday when the wife is off work. Still, I could try to log in if things fall into place. I too thoroughly enjoy these Zoom meets; showing our models and chatting. It isn't quite as good as in-person meets, but definitely helps fill the void. Thank Francisco for me; I'm so glad he keeps me apprised of each meeting.

Okay, now back to the bench....

Back