• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

20 years ago today...

Heavens Eagle

Twenty years ago today (July 1 2002) I lost my wife to cancer. At this point I don't know where I would be or what I would be doing if not for her. Today I am doing what I always wanted to do for a living, and am able to do my hobbies and am quite content. I still think about her often and am eternally grateful to her. What my first wife took away Barbara gave back to me.

When I met her she was a middle school librarian, had been through a rather nasty divorce and was part of the singles group at a church we both attended in Tulsa. While I knew her in passing we had never talked until one Monday night in November where we were at some country dance lessons at the church. She was having some difficulty with some of the steps so I asked her to join me over in the far corner and we worked on what she was having trouble with.

As we practiced some dance steps we started talking about things. That year Oklahoma State football was doing quite well. She was an alumni and I was a fan and had attended school there for a couple of years. We decided to make plans to attend the game the next Saturday.

That next Saturday the weather turned out to be bitter cold. We bundled up, drove to Stillwater and made our way to our seats. The game turned out to be a bust as Texas Tech was creaming Okla State. We left the stadium and went to the local Pizza place (The Hideaway) put our names in and took a short walk. On the walk we ran into her older brother for the second time (totally coincidental). Anyway on the drive back to Tulsa, something clicked and we started dating.

We married in June of 2000. Six weeks after the wedding, she had a stroke. It caused a number of mental difficulties that made life a bit more difficult. The following April she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The two years we were married were difficult and a bit of a rollercoaster ride, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

RIP Barbara, You are still missed.

Barbara & Ness Beauty 800 wide.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's been twenty years, but I know how the loss feels as if it was yesterday. I'm pleased to hear the pleasant memories are so vivid and that you are holding onto them well. She was indeed a beautiful woman and God gave you what you needed in her at the time you needed it the most.

Thank you Paul for sharing all this.

What a marvelous story. You are blessed that this wonderful soul came into your life.

I have often said that Carol is my rock. When I came home from my last tour to the sandbox, I was a hot mess. She stood by me and kept me sane. When we least expect it, God gives us what we need. Some of us are fortunate enough to understand and to accept His gift; you were as was I.

Sorry got your loss, Sir

Know that your participation here and in life in general is an inspiration to others, me first

Back